Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're just at the planning stage for a build we hope to start within a few months. We have a rough idea what we want to do, but we haven't settled on a bed configuration, and since that takes up so much space, most of our other design issues will be affected by that.

We have been considering a lift bed.
I've seen the Happijac done and have some reservations regarding price and my ability to adapt it to the confines of a van.
Yesterday, I discovered this video of a couple in Alaska that builds tiny homes. They've found a solution that is cheap and easy enough for me to do: https://tinyurl.com/mt6f7a6
I've been very excited at the prospect of this working and have started to plan the rest of the van around this. Then I had an unsettling thought. The design is fine for a stationary home, but would it be a terrible rattle trap in a van?

Take a look and see what you think.

Thanks,

·
Registered
220 Posts
If the hardware in the video is standard garage door hardware, they're probably steel wheels and steel track. The answer would be "Yes, lots of rattle noise". I'd look into heavy duty pocket door hardware (snug fitting track, Teflon/poly wheels). The wheels don't need to be that heavy duty since they aren't supporting the weight of bed and occupants, the pins are. I would figure out a way to have the bed frame sit on the stop pins instead of the wheels. And maybe run the lifting cables inside conduit fastened to the walls ? Just throwing out ideas. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the hardware in the video is standard garage door hardware, they're probably steel wheels and steel track. The answer would be "Yes, lots of rattle noise". I'd look into heavy duty pocket door hardware (snug fitting track, Teflon/poly wheels). The wheels don't need to be that heavy duty since they aren't supporting the weight of bed and occupants, the pins are. I would figure out a way to have the bed frame sit on the stop pins instead of the wheels. And maybe run the lifting cables inside conduit fastened to the walls ? Just throwing out ideas. Keep us posted.
All good ideas.
I'll look for that pocket door hardware.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts