Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still counting the days till my factory order arrives. It was estimated to arrive a week ago and is supposedly on a train somewhere.

So,,, with time on my hands and a mind focused vanward, I turn my attention to what am I gonna get painted on the side.

My idea is to have an air-brushed scene that incorporates all the best of the scenes from vans in the 70s.

Draft graphic is attached to this post.

The question is: What am I missing?

:)PP

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
http://www.paintedbus.blogspot.com/. I like this guys work; I have been looking at his work over the last few years. Kenneth will be doing some work on my Travato, and I have commissioned him in the past for a few other things. His blog is not up to date but he is easy to find on Facebook. Mostly VW busses but he will paint anything.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There was a 70's van around our area a few years back. I can't remember now if it was a Ford or Dodge. It had an awesome mural with a sorcerer or wizard on it. Complete with magic wand, cape etc. It really made the star shape, black out, opera windows pop. Can't say for sure because this era was a bit before my time, but when I used to see it in the local parades, I thought this was the perfect 70's shaggin wagon. Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
As tempting as it would be to go for a naked lady riding a unicorn, I think you should take this seriously. What you want is something that works with the squared off, wedgie shape of the van. I'm thinking some kind of triangle pattern, or something that gets bigger as it goes toward the rear. This would make the thing look even more wedgie at the front.

The pictures may be on the forum somewhere, but there was a guy that was able to "smooth" the body cladding with some kind of building primer, then he painted them body color. That made a HUGE difference in the look of the van. Picture a white PM with piano black front fascia and body cladding. Very stormtrooper.

Since the front fascia is easily removable, you might think about a two-tone gettup. Color on the center or color on the corners. In fact, if you just did the center in a color, and followed that color over the roof of the van and down the rear, that right there would be pretty distinctive.

Thinking out loud; another cheap date but cool idea would be to wrap the cladding in wood (or vinyl wood). That would be pretty slick on a red van.

I have an old motorhome, and I'm thinking of doing the Gulf livery on it. Search "gulf GT40" and you'll see the color scheme I'm talking about. That would look dynamite on the PM. And you could do it on the cheap in plasti-dip, and peel it off when you got bored with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts