Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if it is possible to program extra valet keys without the dealer? After 45 days of waiting (I ordered them when I bought the van), they finally came...
But the salesman who sold it to me (and assured me that he'd get the keys programmed) no longer works there and they want $65 a key to program them. Yeah, I can probably fight it out with them and get it done for free, but if it is as simple as most cars (some combination of insert original key, insert new key, done) I'm less inclined to bother. So anyone know the secret?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 3 week old PM came with 3 fobs but only one actually works. I called the 800 number and was told "ANY" Chrysler dealer should be able to program the 2 spares to work.
Not so! I took it to a dealer close to me; they TRIED but couldn't get em to work and informed me I would have to take my PM to a PM dealer for the fix. The service mgr said the tech could get into the system but it wasn't like anything he had ever seen and was reluctant to try for fear of messing it up. He must be right too, as now my dashboard odometer continually flashes!
I have an appointment this Monday on the other side of town with a PM dealer for them to give it a go...
My advice to anyone buying one of these PM's is to make sure ALL of your key-fobs work BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DEALER...

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Did you try this?

Customer Key Programming

You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid keys by doing the following:

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition and turn the ignition On for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition Off and remove the first key.

2. Insert the second valid key and switch the ignition On within 15 seconds. After ten seconds a chime will sound and the Theft Alarm Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition Off and remove the second key.

3. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition and switch the ignition On within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds a single chime will sound. The Theft Alarm Light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off.

The new Sentry Key has been programmed. Repeat this process to program up to a total of 8 keys.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Van should have come with 4 keys. 3 bayonet folding, one valet.
Dwight,

If you look on your window sticker, you should see an option... 2 key fobs.

The 2 extra are an option, mine came with 1 valet key and 1 remote fob.

I think it's a $125 option... I wish they had ordered them on my PM, that's a good deal!

Ed

·
Registered
886 Posts
Dwight,

If you look on your window sticker, you should see an option... 2 key fobs.

The 2 extra are an option, mine came with 1 valet key and 1 remote fob.

I think it's a $125 option... I wish they had ordered them on my PM, that's a good deal!

Ed
Yeah, I know. JDM was given 3 keys. No such version as 3 keys. It's 2 or 4. I think dealer lost one of his. They owe him.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could not get this to work, tried a bunch of times and no luck. Not sure if it is because I only have one key fob or what.
Interestingly, although none of the lights come on (as described below), the unprogrammed key WILL start the car once if placed in the ignition. But it doesn't get programmed, if you switch it off and wait a few seconds, the security light comes on when you turn it back to ON.

Customer Key Programming

You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid keys by doing the following:

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition and turn the ignition On for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition Off and remove the first key.

2. Insert the second valid key and switch the ignition On within 15 seconds. After ten seconds a chime will sound and the Theft Alarm Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition Off and remove the second key.

3. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition and switch the ignition On within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds a single chime will sound. The Theft Alarm Light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off.

The new Sentry Key has been programmed. Repeat this process to program up to a total of 8 keys.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
This sounds like the standard Ford method of adding keys. I'm glad FCA added this, because can save hundreds through the vehicle's lifetime.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I just ordered an extra valet key from the dealer. Cost was $47

I didn't ask about programming it though, as I didn't care about that.

I couldn't find any local key shops that could cut a dummy blade type key for me, so had to buy from dealer.

·
Super Moderator
726 Posts
I just ordered an extra valet key from the dealer. Cost was $47

I didn't ask about programming it though, as I didn't care about that.

I couldn't find any local key shops that could cut a dummy blade type key for me, so had to buy from dealer.
I paid $65 for a valet key from my dealer in Canada I was an extra $50 to get it programmed. Lately, I found a locksmith that can make me a key for $10.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I just found a nice web site showing locations for Fiat keys. FYI, the Fiat key is our key with Fiat logo missing. There is a Fiat driver at my office. Our keys match.

I think searching Fiat keys is safer than search Ram keys, because the Ram trucks have a different key than ours.

http://www.replacecarkey.com/cars/fiat.php

My city doesn't have any locations listed.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Dwight,

Don't you need it programmed in addition to it being "cut"? I thought it wouldn't start the car if not programmed.

Ed
I surf with the key only. I only use it to unlock the door.

I then grab my fob key stored in the door pocket to silence my alarm and start the van.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I picked up my new extra Valet key from the dealer today. I tried the self programming tips posted here. It didn't work.

There are lots of odd programming instructions out there for Ducatos. None appear applicable to us.

Maybe someday we will learn the real tricks applicable to us

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I picked up my new extra Valet key from the dealer today. I tried the self programming tips posted here. It didn't work.

There are lots of odd programming instructions out there for Ducatos. None appear applicable to us.

Maybe someday we will learn the real tricks applicable to us
Dwight,

Given that you bought the key from the dealer, I would think that they could get it programmed.

When I go to a dealer, I'm going to ask, just to see what they have to say about it. It's a bit tougher for me because the dealer I will service at is not the dealer I bought it from... two states away.

Hmmmm...

Ed

·
Registered
129 Posts
TEST any key better than I did

I paid $56.75 for a key from the stealer that they said was programmed via my VIN number.

The day I bought it I made sure it started up the van with no issues then put it away. What I found out recently is that YES it starts the PM for about 7-8 seconds and then it dies.

The security function is not there. Wonderful! That cost me a half day when I really needed the key to work.

Will be taking it back to the inept Stealership. I am sure the bumblers in the parts department who said it is 'already programmed' were wrong and to add salt to an open wound I'll now get hit up for a substantial programming fee. :(

·
Registered
886 Posts
I paid $56.75 for a key from the stealer that they said was programmed via my VIN number.

The day I bought it I made sure it started up the van with no issues then put it away. What I found out recently is that YES it starts the PM for about 7-8 seconds and then it dies.

The security function is not there. Wonderful! That cost me a half day when I really needed the key to work.

Will be taking it back to the inept Stealership. I am sure the bumblers in the parts department who said it is 'already programmed' were wrong and to add salt to an open wound I'll now get hit up for a substantial programming fee. :(
Yep, mine does same. My understanding is all your keys have to be re programmed as a lot. I don't want dealer doing that.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I just found a nice web site showing locations for Fiat keys. FYI, the Fiat key is our key with Fiat logo missing. There is a Fiat driver at my office. Our keys match.

I think searching Fiat keys is safer than search Ram keys, because the Ram trucks have a different key than ours.

http://www.replacecarkey.com/cars/fiat.php

My city doesn't have any locations listed.
That is instructions of how to program a key using the wiTECH device. It is a Chrysler tool. It is also a pass-through device. In other words, it serves as an interface between your vehicle and Chrysler, and you are using the dealer software. Incidentally, it is exactly how your Chrysler techs are doing the same work.

There are some things that you can do with a pass-through device at the consumer level, such as reflashing computers. But you have to have a pass-through device, and they are not cheap, and you have to have a subscription to the Chrysler site. (the cheapest option is a 3-day pass)

Key programming, is a security issue. So it is only available to security professionals that have been vetted. You can't have people being able to hook a pass-through up to a computer, and programming a key to any Promaster, or any other transponder equipped vehicle at will.

There is no onboard programming for the Promaster that I know of.

Taylor

1 - 20 of 49 Posts