Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knowledgeable in the use of lead sheeting for sound proofing ? I have an 2800 Onan generator Im going to install under my van. I'm building my own mounts incorporating 5 anti vibration mounts and I was going to coat the plastic generator cover with 1/32" lead sheeting. I have 1/4" closed cell foam I was going to sandwich the lead. What happens if I only cover the foam on one side or no sides on the top as I'm trying to mount it as close as I can for maximum ground clearance. The ventilation ports will not be covered. I think I understand you need foam to allow the lead sheet to absorb vibration/sound but do you need it on both sides?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I my search learning about soundproofing i do remember reading in several places that lead makes a great soundproofing. For most applications the weight is an issue though. I think you might have an issue with heat retention using it? I'd check with the generator manufacturer on that.

Heres a product used in marine applications that might be better?

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=11866&familyName=Soundown+Peace+and+Quiet+Kits

Again you have to look into how close you can apply this without heat being a problem for the material.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cover is thick plastic so its not designed for heat transfer, the MFG doesn't want you to put anything inside and affect the cooling air flow.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would not recommend the use of lead in an application where people have potential interaction with it all the time.

Buried inside your battery is one thing; within the interior of a vehicle is quite another.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
A lot of old homes have lead paint, just don't eat it and should be fine^^^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts