Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We want to have a fold-up sofa-bed, futon style. We don't want one that comes as a full-on couch, with the mattress built in -- we want to have a metal frame with a separate mattress. It occurred to me that one way of doing this would be to buy a futon sofa and toss the legs, just using the two halves of the frame with the legs or sides. Anyone taken this approach? Know whether it would work?

The thing that I worry about is that in my situation, it would need to function a bit differently. In the futon couches I've seen, there are two horizontal bars that support the frame that the mattress rests on, and the seat part ends up at an angle, where the back is lower than the front. (I hope that makes sense.) In my situation, the seat would be stationary and remain flat both when you're sitting on it as a couch and when you're sleeping on it as a bed, and it would have cabinets and/or framing underneath it for support. I guess you'd maybe need to tilt it up in the process of moving it from one position to the other, though, and I just don't know whether that would work.

I guess I should go examine a futon frame closely to figure out how the hardware works. But if anyone has relevant experience, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Julie--

You may want to look into floor sofas instead. These don't have legs and are probably closer to what you are looking for.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW3PM2Q/ref=sxts_hf_cd_wol_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3311817862&pd_rd_wg=S3IVX&pf_rd_r=T9N2QT3CWBTG724Q605N&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01LW3PM2Q&pd_rd_w=Pnlf6&pf_rd_i=floor+sofa&pd_rd_r=02ed9671-65f2-4bc0-9bcb-6f60e39538ce&ie=UTF8&qid=1509986222&sr=1[/ame]

There are also more varied options in floor and stadium chairs, but these are only good for one person.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting idea -- but I need something that's metal only. I've got a mattress that works for me, and finding it was a bit of a miracle. The chances that that one wouldn't poison me are low.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Oh yeah, I get confused between you and Moldavoider. I feel a bit of your pain, I have Sarcoidosis and I have to be careful at times. I got a bit of acetone on my hands over the weekend and now of I have a painful case of dermatitis.

My experience with futons is those that make good beds aren't good sofas and vice versa. I think the reason why many futons are lower in the back has to do with weight distribution and the pliability/foldablity of the mattresses.

How heavy and pliable is your mattress? I see a number of metal futon frames on Amazon that are a bit more upright, but most of them seem to have arms and legs that might be hard to hack off.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now, we're using a four-inch latex topper. So pretty pliable.

Every futon frame I've seen disassembles, so the arms and legs detach easily. Which, of course, isn't to say that's true of all the futon frames I haven't seen!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! That first one gives a clear view of the mechanism, too. Might have to construct something for it to clamp onto, but it seems like it should be possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts