1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
It's not a cup holder it's for cigar ash holder. Todd

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
Why not just keep your phone in your pocket and use Bluetooth ? I have the same iPhone 6+with the uconnect 5 and never even take it out of my pocket. If I charge it overnight it will run for two days at least before needing another charge.

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
I would be using it for the maps. We find our iPhone much better than any GPS to find our way. Having it so we can see it helps even though it will voice-direct us we shut that off. It is amazing how many businesses and places it has in its database. Our GPS is so dumb you can't find coffee or a McDonald's!

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
That's true. I find myself relying on the iPhone maps over the built in GPS all the time. The problem is they both have tiny screens as far as I'm concerned although the iPhone+ is actually a hair larger than the uconnect5 screen. The iPhone also uses up a lot of data unless you download the maps in advance. Of course if you have unlimited data it doesn't matter. The best of all worlds would be a full size iPad screen with unlimited data built in the dash instead of the Uconnect!

I had a Jenson 7" motorized touch screen radio in my Sprinter that I could connect my iPhone to and it would display anything on the iPhone including the GPS app. That is/was the best way to go by far. Don't even get the uconnect 5 and go with one of the new Apple enabled double din aftermarket head ends. I think Sony or Panasoniv make them plus others will be jumping on the bandwagon in the near future. A few manufactures are actually offering them as OEM enabled equiptment buy, of course not Ram).

·
Registered
967 Posts
I was killing time in a best buy a while back. Seems the latest generation of car audio is a big touch screen like you mention, that either does Apple CarPlay (a mirroring standard where the screen just duplicates the phone) or the head unit plugs onto the OBD port and does some of those fuctions.

For myself, i use an old iphone velcro'd next to the shifter for audio and podcasts. When at home, its close enough to my house to get wi-fi and it automatically updates all the podcasts by itself.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Nice set up!
Why are you using Apple?
I just traded in my Apple for Samsung Galaxy S5 Active ,twice the phone and half the cost.
Water resistant under 3 feet of water for 30 minutes and dust proof.

Sorry did not want to make this in a phone debate.
When I use maps, I set the phone on the dash where the speedometer is. It sits there nicely.
But do like that set up. Phone is set at 30 minute lock screen.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Agree with uncubed. Excellent idea on the mount and power supply. Condolences on the phone choice though......
And why not use the bluetooth? (won't make any more comments on phone choice)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have a battery case in both vehicles like this so that i never am cought w/o power..i use my phone all day and always run out 3/4 of the way through the day...so with these monsterous battery packs thats never an issue anymore...its only about charging not bluetoothing, i tether my phone to my ipad on the dash via wifi for internet, so that eats battery too

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its a mount i got on ebay for 12 bucks, glued it the way it need to be so it woukd stay rigid , its worked out wel

·
Registered
67 Posts
hello to all
just order my PM 2500, 159WB, hi-roof, diesel
what about Cargo Partition No Window, still thinking about this option
can add Monday. i am 185cm tall

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've never heard acceptable audio quality from a bluetooth connection. It's OK for a phone call, but for music you might as well get out your Radio Shack cassette deck. MP3 is the minimum quality I'll listen to. I still listen to CDs when I want better sound.

Say what you want about iPx devices, but the lighting connector is far superior for a dock setup like the OP's. Micro USB sucks even for charging. All the other guys need to step it up and come up with a robust, "drop it on" connector.

·
Registered
119 Posts

iPhone 6+ 8200ma battery pack charging station, rewired ups port to hot all the time
Love the idea of a full time power outlet. I am now inspired to do something similar, Thanks. May I ask what the value is of the battery pack if it is a full time power situation? Is there a danger of over-cooking the battery pack? And do you think the .5 amp charging rate is sufficient? I am a bit hooked on the 2.0 amp chargers.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i grabbed a few of them off ebay for 20 bucks a piece, i keep one in each vehicle, i changed the .5 to a 3amp charger...once charged i yank the cable...i might run a black one through the holder specific for my purpose and leave the factory one empty or for my passenger...the 12 to 5 unit i got off ebay too...all cheap chinese stuff...but it works great

·
Registered
119 Posts
Got it. Thanks. I have an inverter and a house charger now for a temporary fix LOL. That has got to go. No duct tape or hillbilly fixes allowed on my nice new van!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
make sure if you get the lil transformer that its a 3amp version...thats the key, or they also call it an ipad version compared to a iphone version

1 - 20 of 27 Posts