Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through the forum and mostly have only seen new vehicle pricing discussed. Would those of you who bought used be willing to give us the price and mileage of your purchase? Used prices seem to be all over the map and my experience with used car purchases is that the dealers usually take buyers to the bank. I know there are a lot of factors as to whether a dealer will deal on a used vehicle. I'm seeing lots of vans in the $16,000 - $18,000 range and I'm just trying to figure out what can I really expect these guys to come down to on these vans.

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
$21,000 + tax 2014 136" wheel base high roof, 13,800 miles ... Purchased Feb 2017

only went in service March of 2016 so still two years left of bumber-to-bumper warranty

I also got a free 7-day cruise out of it too. I put half on my credit card and paid it off at the end of the month.
I never thought about buying on my credit card and immediately paying it off so I can get the 2% back. I'm assuming some dealers may not want you to buy on a credit card? Or the deal will change if it's on a card because they have to pay a processing fee on it?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
I never thought about buying on my credit card and immediately paying it off so I can get the 2% back. I'm assuming some dealers may not want you to buy on a credit card? Or the deal will change if it's on a card because they have to pay a processing fee on it?

There was a fee to use the credit card. I forgot what it was, but can check tonight. It might have been around 2%, so I'm not sure it would be worth it.

I did half on a my Carnival Master Card and paid that one off right away (I got $1,000 worth of cruising money for $200. 2% of $10,000).

I did the other half on a 15 month interest free credit card. The 2% processing fee was less than any loan I could get anyway and I didn't need a loan that would carry on for several years. So I thought it was worth it. I have/had a great credit score, so having the outstanding balance on the interest free card did affect my FICO score, quite a bit (830 down to 738). I have the money to pay it off, but will wait until the end of the year month 12 of 15. Just in case...never know. My credit score will bounce back relatively quickly after that.

It might not be the best choice for some, or may not have been for me. Credit card debt is the worst kind of debt according to creditors, but I am responsible enough in my finances that I just see this as a cheap loan. Like I said, once the interest free is paid off, and a few months to a year I think I'll be right back with my FICO score above 800.

·
Registered
17 Posts
just paid 16,750 for a 118, 21k mi with uconnect, bluetooth, 6 way seats, power/folding/heated mirrors, trailer hitch and hookups, certified preowned with powertrain to 100k/7yr

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking at used 2015 139wb / high roof / 1500/Gas with 62k miles. One user, no maintenance issues reported. It is from a small commercial vehicle dealer. They are asking $20k, but said they'd take $19k cash. I'm hoping I can wiggle him down lower. Are there maintenance issues I should be worried about around 62k miles? My somewhat thorough research suggests this is about the right price for the van. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Planning on converting this for travelling.

Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am getting a '15 136 low roof no options 29,870 miles from private owner for $18,000 this week in Northern NY, state not city.
rdkeith

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you,
I am new here, recently started looking for a used 118. Not only having some difficulty finding a 118, but am surprised by the prices I am seeing. I was thinking I might find one for 15k. I'm still hopeful but it's not my nature to be patient.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see that this thread didn't really go too far into helping to determine reasonable used price ranges but I thought I'd add to it instead of starting a new one in the hopes that we could breath some new life into it.

I'm finishing up my search for a used 2017 159wb 2500 high roof in the PA/NJ area and thought maybe someone could give some last minute advice before I pull the trigger. I've done a lot of research but as I speak to dealers I have no idea how much lower from the asking price I can realistically negotiate to. At the very least, I will report my findings here for future readers.

There are ~15 vehicles within a 50 mile radius of me that all fit my criteria and are pretty much the same (as in they are all the standard option with vinyl seats no other upgrades) with just minor differences in condition and mileage. For the most part the vehicles are between 10k and 20k miles in good or very good condition, the wear is mostly in the cargo area and this is where there is the most variation between vehicles (I'm converting it to a mobile office/camper and plan to insulate and cover the cargo area so wear in this area isn't too important). I have found the vehicles at large dealers, smaller used lots, and very small commercial dealers. The internet asking prices have ranged from $24000 to $28500 though most fall between $26000 and $27500; lot sticker prices are roughly $1000 higher. With the exception of maybe one or two all of the sellers have told me that the vehicles are retired fleet, mostly from Enterprise, that they acquired through auction.

The KBB suggested retail for these vehicles is $27.5k with a fair purchase price range of $24.6 to $28.6k. Private value is $25.5 and the suggested trade in is between $20.3 to $24.2.
Edmunds values are all slightly lower. I couldn't find this vehicle on NADA or Truecar probably because of limited data (bummer). Sold listings on Ebay are pretty sparse but vary pretty widely though all lower than dealer pricing by $1-$2k at least. Craigslist is also lower as is to be expected.

At each dealer I've been able to get them to give me a price that's maybe a few hundred dollars lower than their internet ask, a few I've gotten around $1k lower but still well above what I think I should be able to get them down to based on typical used car buying. All of the dealers that I've gone to complain about how they make very little money on "these vehicles" and they're all going as low as they can and they're "not going to make much money" but they are dealers and it's their job to say stuff like that so I take it with a grain of salt obviously. The problem is that there isn't much info on these vehicles online; it's true that they're not typical vehicles so maybe they don't follow typical used car rules; and I have nothing to go off of as a baseline.

At the end of the day I understand that they need to make their margins but I also understand that they want to make as much as possible. I'm comfortable paying the premium to cover their profit, I just don't know what a reasonable premium should be. My gut is telling me that buying at $25.5-$26 not including tax or fees would account for a high premium if the trade in value I've calculated is anywhere close to wholesale value particularly considering the volume of vehicles that I have to choose from and many of them have been sitting on the lot for a while.

So that's where I'm at, it's the end of the month, I know the dealers are looking to make a few last sales, any advice before I make the purchase would be much appreciated. And hopefully my data will help to paint a picture of the market for future buyers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see that this thread didn't really go too far into helping to determine reasonable used price ranges but I thought I'd add to it instead of starting a new one in the hopes that we could breath some new life into it.

I'm finishing up my search for a used 2017 159wb 2500 high roof in the PA/NJ area and thought maybe someone could give some last minute advice before I pull the trigger. I've done a lot of research but as I speak to dealers I have no idea how much lower from the asking price I can realistically negotiate to. At the very least, I will report my findings here for future readers.

There are ~15 vehicles within a 50 mile radius of me that all fit my criteria and are pretty much the same (as in they are all the standard option with vinyl seats no other upgrades) with just minor differences in condition and mileage. For the most part the vehicles are between 10k and 20k miles in good or very good condition, the wear is mostly in the cargo area and this is where there is the most variation between vehicles (I'm converting it to a mobile office/camper and plan to insulate and cover the cargo area so wear in this area isn't too important). I have found the vehicles at large dealers, smaller used lots, and very small commercial dealers. The internet asking prices have ranged from $24000 to $28500 though most fall between $26000 and $27500; lot sticker prices are roughly $1000 higher. With the exception of maybe one or two all of the sellers have told me that the vehicles are retired fleet, mostly from Enterprise, that they acquired through auction.

The KBB suggested retail for these vehicles is $27.5k with a fair purchase price range of $24.6 to $28.6k. Private value is $25.5 and the suggested trade in is between $20.3 to $24.2.
Edmunds values are all slightly lower. I couldn't find this vehicle on NADA or Truecar probably because of limited data (bummer). Sold listings on Ebay are pretty sparse but vary pretty widely though all lower than dealer pricing by $1-$2k at least. Craigslist is also lower as is to be expected.

At each dealer I've been able to get them to give me a price that's maybe a few hundred dollars lower than their internet ask, a few I've gotten around $1k lower but still well above what I think I should be able to get them down to based on typical used car buying. All of the dealers that I've gone to complain about how they make very little money on "these vehicles" and they're all going as low as they can and they're "not going to make much money" but they are dealers and it's their job to say stuff like that so I take it with a grain of salt obviously. The problem is that there isn't much info on these vehicles online; it's true that they're not typical vehicles so maybe they don't follow typical used car rules; and I have nothing to go off of as a baseline.

At the end of the day I understand that they need to make their margins but I also understand that they want to make as much as possible. I'm comfortable paying the premium to cover their profit, I just don't know what a reasonable premium should be. My gut is telling me that buying at $25.5-$26 not including tax or fees would account for a high premium if the trade in value I've calculated is anywhere close to wholesale value particularly considering the volume of vehicles that I have to choose from and many of them have been sitting on the lot for a while.

So that's where I'm at, it's the end of the month, I know the dealers are looking to make a few last sales, any advice before I make the purchase would be much appreciated. And hopefully my data will help to paint a picture of the market for future buyers.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Find a van you want. Go to that dealer. Speak to the person who makes the decision. Make an offer (in writing with your phone #) you are willing to pay. If they say no, thank them and walk out. I have had the no turn into a OK on my way to my car, in an hour on my phone, that evening, and the next day. Once you offer, don’t negotiate. You should have offered a fair price and you have other dealers to go to.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
10,683 Posts
Good advice from RD. I would add for this particular vehicle you are looking at any price other than the low $20’s is a poor decision. I can assure you these dealers pay peanuts for used rental vans and make far more profit on them than new ones.

$27k for a stripped rental van is nuts when you can buy a new one, very well equipped with a full warranty for $5 or $6 thousand more.

If you can’t steal a used rental van don’t even consider it! At the very minimum start looking for private party deals.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I ended up getting a 2014 136 hi top gasser with 95,000 miles for $14,500 + $295 in fees and it was in really good condition, had the Bluetooth head unit, backup camera, new tires, and the rear door windows and slider window (that saved me tons). Best deal I found anywhere by far. Only thing it didn't have was the good alloy rims but I could live with that.

I don't know the numbers for the vans in the condition you're looking but I do know dealers are all lying. I looked at a 159 hi top with 125,000 miles on it. The listed price was 14,500. His lowest price on the phone was $13,500. I had to drive 10 hrs so no way was I getting it cheaper once I got there. He told me any lower than $13,500 and he would not make any money.

I found out that the van was a local dodge dealership's parts van so I called around till I found the guy that sold it to them. He told me they sold it to him for $9k advised me to pay $10,500 for it as he had only had it for 1 week and had not put a dime into it. I offered $11,500 never heard back and he sold it the same day. Probably for the $13,500. (It wasn't a steal by the way. It had body damage)

So dealers are lying. I traded a ford focus in and they gave me $6k on it. It was for sale the next day for $14k. That's what I originally paid for it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When looking on cars.com and autotrader over the last few months there always seems to be multiple 2500 159" vans for around $23-24.5k within 250 miles of central PA. These are usually 2017 and 2016 models with under 30k miles. Rear windows only with the crappy radio unit. I think thats a good price and wouldnt expect lower for that mileage and year. When buying used I always just make sure to get a new enough model so there are multiple years of factory warranty left. With the prices on the 2017's I wouldnt go any older.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
I drove 500 miles to get a '16 1500 HR 16k rental for $20,600, missed out on a '17 2500 159 10k? rental for $19k. You got to have your ducks in a row and move fast, and know and except what your buying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just got my van last week. Paid $12,500 + taxes for a loaded 2014 PM 159 High Roof with 170K Miles. Looks brand new, and drives SO much better then my old beatup 2001 Ford Econoline!

·
Registered
582 Posts

Did you happen to buy the one at Hudson Valley Chrylser in Newburgh NY? I put a $1000 deposit on that one Thursday morning and then called my insurance company, and got the ball rolling on the financing at my credit union. How nice it was to receive a call 5 hours later from the salesperson saying the owner had "Promised the van to a friend that morning and forgot to mark it as sold". What? :confused: :mad:

Bitterness aside, the 2017 2500 159" certified used models with under 10k miles (Including the 7 year/100k mile powertrain warranty) look like a good deal in 24-25K range. I haven't found anyone willing to go below 24k unless they were making it up in dealer fees.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you happen to buy the one at Hudson Valley Chrylser in Newburgh NY? I put a $1000 deposit on that one Thursday morning and then called my insurance company, and got the ball rolling on the financing at my credit union. How nice it was to receive a call 5 hours later from the salesperson saying the owner had "Promised the van to a friend that morning and forgot to mark it as sold". What? :confused: :mad:

Bitterness aside, the 2017 2500 159" certified used models with under 10k miles (Including the 7 year/100k mile powertrain warranty) look like a good deal in 24-25K range. I haven't found anyone willing to go below 24k unless they were making it up in dealer fees.
Will your credit union finance? Mine wouldn't because of them being a commercial vehicle. Same with my bank (Keybank). As soon as I give the vin number they say sorry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts