Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about the USB port. As we all know, despite the label, the USB port is powered with the key on only.

The USB get its power through the F15 fuse in the Power Dist Panel under the hood. I'm thinking you could unplug the existing fuse, use a "add a circuit" fuse device, and wire the "add a circuit" device to a wire that's hot all the time. The current fuse is a 7.5 amp fuse.

This would result in the USB being powered by two sources when the key is on, one from the original, and one constant through the "add a circuit" fuse.

Would this be a problem?

·
Registered
455 Posts
You'd have current split thru both fuses, so if you did have a problem the fuse wouldn't blow when you wanted it to.

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
There are several write ups about how to do this. Basically, just cut the hot wire and run a new fused wire from either the battery or wherever you choose to tap into an always hot wire. Very, very simple!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,537 Posts
I've been thinking about the USB port. As we all know, despite the label, the USB port is powered with the key on only.

The USB get its power through the F15 fuse in the Power Dist Panel under the hood. I'm thinking you could unplug the existing fuse, use a "add a circuit" fuse device, and wire the "add a circuit" device to a wire that's hot all the time. The current fuse is a 7.5 amp fuse.

This would result in the USB being powered by two sources when the key is on, one from the original, and one constant through the "add a circuit" fuse.

Would this be a problem?
Not good. You would want to connect the side of the current fuse location (F15) that goes to the usb port to an always on fuse, but you would NOT put the original fuse back in. This way the USB port is always on....no key-on circuit involved.

Ed

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to thinking about this after I posted. Remove the F15 fuse and test which side is going to the USB port. Use a male solder less connector to that side and run it through an "add a circuit" to another one of the fuses there that are hot all the time.

Thanks!

Marty

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
That's one way to do it but what if you or someone else forgets and puts a new fuse in in the future? Better and safer to just cut the old switched wire and run a new heavier fused wire directly to your battery (the original wire is pretty thin gauge as I recall) that way you have nothing to worry about. Another even better solution is to just spend $5 and get a double usb outlet with both a 1 amp & 2 amp receptacle and wire it in separately by the center coffee cup holders. Then you have 3 usb outlets. You can just forget about the switched one if you please.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Now thats ^^^^^^^ a better idea!

·
Registered
71 Posts
yeah, having to put in and turn key to use aux 12 v dash port when parked has been really annoying (sprinter was hot - though at risk of draining battery). But reading all this about wires, think it is just simpler to solve aux battery recharging and have more outlets from the aux and only use dash ports while driving.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
yeah, having to put in and turn key to use aux 12 v dash port when parked has been really annoying (sprinter was hot - though at risk of draining battery). But reading all this about wires, think it is just simpler to solve aux battery recharging and have more outlets from the aux and only use dash ports while driving.
Agreed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts