Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new here, so not sure if there is a certain "thread" this needs to go in? I picked up a 2014 Ram Promaster last year as a left over. The USB port never worked (the one on the driver side, under the steering wheel). When it went in for it's first oil change they looked at it, but I didn't have time to leave it for a long period of time. It's a work van. I have since had a head unit put in the van, and now had some time to get the USB port looked at. The dealership is now saying it's because I put in a head unit? I find that hard to believe since the USB port hasn't worked since day one. I know it's silly for there is a USB port and a 12v port under the head unit, but we need every charging station we can have on weekend trips with the shop. Anyone out there change this out? Is it a fuse? I don't understand why a RAM dealership doesn't have the answer.

·
Super Moderator
10,530 Posts
I don't believe it's a USB charging port as such but rather only to connect a USB device to your radio. If the van didn't come with a radio when you bought it it most likely goes nowhere and when you did put an aftermarket radio in it never got connected to anything.

Most likely your dealer is correct this time.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,658 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,530 Posts
There are several threads on how to do this (including mine) you can also rewire the usb receptical by the cup holder on the right side to be always hot rather than switch with the ignition. A simple search should bring them all up.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,658 Posts
I just think it's easier to add some ports wired directly (but fused) to the battery. I have a dual USB charging port like the above at each rear corner of the van and I mounted one in each B column base on the black plastic cover. That's 8 charging ports!

Ed

·
Super Moderator
10,530 Posts
The OP has inferred his van didn't come with a radio and they added one. If that is the case it's probably likely the USB port beside the steering wheel would be dead as it is for connecting up to the radio. USB ports do provide power obviously but in this case I suspect the power comes from the radio/head unit NOT a dedicated USB charging circuit. No radio - no power to the USB port!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts