Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new ProMaster and after a day of work with my phone (Galaxy s7) plugged into the USB port, I discovered it's hot, but does not charge my phone. Took it into the dealership, turns out its' only 1 amp output - not enough for newer devices.

They say, it's all computer driven and there is no way to increase it (also no way to make either the USB port or the cigarette lighter always hot). Here comes my complaint... Really?! in a work vehicle there's no way to charge your phone unless the vehicle is running?

They said any tampering (even adding a source off of the battery would throw error codes to the computer) such as bypassing or cutting wires would void the warranty......

Searched for forum and can't find any info on this. I couldn't be alone here... Anyone have a work around?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
521 Posts
Dealer is wrong. You can add items to the battery without any problems. My USB ports seam to charge just fine but you can find aftermarket ones that you can run right to the battery (fused of course).
I tied into the upfitter plug and ran wire to the rear corner and installed a 6 fuse distribution port and then added USB cig lighter and voltage panel to the wall.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VFONVY2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also ran some LED light strips under the seats with a toggle so I can see things on the floor.
I have a roll of the MTA M800 clips to tie into the upfitter electrical plug in the passenger B pillar. PM me if you would like some.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,079 Posts
Hi,
This is maybe not an ideal solution, but you can get a dual USB charger to plug into the cigarette lighter. Some of the new cigarette lighter USB chargers charge at high amperage.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charger-Output-iPhone-Samsung/dp/B00M6QODH2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1509643874&sr=8-4&keywords=cigarette+lighter+usb+charger[/ame]

The high amp cigarette lighter charger works well -- I've been using one for about 6 months.

On my 2014 there is a 2nd usb charger buried in the little nook to the left and below the steering wheel -- but, don't know if it charges any faster.

I've also added loads to my van battery (eg a gps) -- no problems at all.
Proeddie has a post on removing plastic lower center dash panel, which provides access to wiring and provides a good place to hide wiring for any added stuff. It comes out easy once you know how it comes out.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Many people gave simply added duplex USB ports in the space behind the 3 cup holders and wired them in to an always on fuse. Most of these are 1 amp + 2 amp and work fine. Just forget about the lighter and USB chargeing receptical and do it. There are many write ups here on how to do it.

Here is a nice set up for $10 [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MODXVO8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

And another for $15 [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0GR0FQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1[/ame]

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
We are lucky to have 1amp for the usb port. A lot of cars come with .5amp. As others have suggested, just go with a 12V charger and be done. No problem pulling 5v 3amps on my USB-C charger.

Reactions: ProMasterMitchel

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Does anyone know for sure this will really put out 4 amps? Doesn't it really depend on the output of the lighter outlet? As I recall the 12v feed to the lighter is quite small. I wonder what the fused rating of the lighter is?

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Keep in mind that it's pulling 2 amps at 5v, not 12v.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
Thank you everyone! I'll just put a piece of chewing gum over that factory USB port!
Or remove the dash one from it's spot and bury it somewhere in the dash below. (no warranty issues) Then buy one of the aforementioned USB 2+1 ports and install it in the spot on the dash... It's a pretty easy project!

At some point, you may want to power some USB ports from the aux batteries instead of the van power. Then you can just fuse off the aux batteries and install as needed.

Just some other options...:)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I thought I had read the front outlet was 20A, and 15A for the optional rear outlet, but can't find the doc now.
Those are the fuse sizes listed in the owners manual. F09 15A Rear Power Outlet, F14 20A Power Outlet. Pg 352 of the 2014 4th edition Rev 2 Owners Manual

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you may want to power some USB ports from the aux batteries instead of the van power. Then you can just fuse off the aux batteries and install as needed.
I'm pretty handy with all things with the exception of auto electrical/wiring (so an opportunity for growth here). Your comment is a little bit Greek to me. Are you suggesting installing an additional battery with it's own box, or is there an aux connection you're talking about tapping into with an additional fuse/box off of that?

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
420 Posts
I'm pretty handy with all things with the exception of auto electrical/wiring (so an opportunity for growth here). Your comment is a little bit Greek to me. Are you suggesting installing an additional battery with it's own box, or is there an aux connection you're talking about tapping into with an additional fuse/box off of that?
Many of us have a second battery, either due to the van being converted to an RV or a work van. By using that battery rather than the main starting battery you reduce the risk of running the starting battery down. If you don't have a second battery, and you want an outlet that isn't controlled by the ignition switch, having some way to turn it off when the van won't be driven for several days is a good idea.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
PMM,

As Wowbagger says, for many of us who use the van as a base for a campervan conversion, an aux battery is a must have, and charging off it is a great way to go... if you're using your van for business only, adding an aux battery might not be a cost effective solution. In that case, adding a fused USB port to an always-on power point in your van will work well. The battery itself is a good connection point, and it's very close to the dash area!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Pretty sure you can just splice open the black cable going to the USB, run a power and ground wire from the radio power. If I remember correctly I did something like that.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The cig 12v port works well but it pretty flakey. Both my vans plug GPS and other crap into them, and both eventually burned out the wire. I just wired them directly to the battery which is right there under your feet, and even has terminal studs already there. It's not tough to dig the lighter socket out, and run the wires down inside the dash, out the back, and under the battery cover.

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
That’s exactly how I did it, both USB & the lighter. Don’t forget a fuse!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts