Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any info on the two usb plugs in the dash of my 3500. What is the difference in the two? There is one below the ignition key next to the steering column, and one in the dash by the radio. I don't use a iPhone so I guess I'm out of luck playing my music through the crappy stock radio. Does the driver side one have any other uses? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I can't seem to find any info on the two usb plugs in the dash of my 3500. What is the difference in the two? There is one below the ignition key next to the steering column, and one in the dash by the radio. I don't use a iPhone so I guess I'm out of luck playing my music through the crappy stock radio. Does the driver side one have any other uses? Thanks in advance.
The USB port by the steering wheel is for connecting external USB devices such as Ipod or MP3 players to play through the radio system.

The other USB port under the radio next to the 12V socket is for charging only.

·
Registered
180 Posts
They are both supposed to be available for charging. The one by the 12v outlet is always on. The other I dunno. Maybe always, maybe with the key turned.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just wouldn't try charging it with the vehicle off, rather not run the risk of draining the battery to a point that starting it up becomes a problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just wouldn't try charging it with the vehicle off, rather not run the risk of draining the battery to a point that starting it up becomes a problem.
I didn't think that the USB outlet would work if the car isn't on. There are plenty of other things that can be powered through a USB cord so really the possibilities are only limited to what technology you have. Generally music and charging though.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We'll because I use a android based phone there is no way for me to play pandora through the radio in my 3500. I thought I'd try using my ipad plugged into the USB port near the key location, doesn't seem to work for me. Anybody have any luck streaming audio into the stereo. I have the base stereo not the u connect. Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
We'll because I use a android based phone there is no way for me to play pandora through the radio in my 3500. I thought I'd try using my ipad plugged into the USB port near the key location, doesn't seem to work for me. Anybody have any luck streaming audio into the stereo. I have the base stereo not the u connect. Thanks

Not sure if the following applies only to UConnect but the owners manual says that a device connected to the AUX input will be amplified and played through the radio. So if your Pandora device has a headphone jack you would need a cable to connect from your headphone jack to the AUX input. As I recall, the AUX input was next to the USB input by the steering wheel.

AUX Mode​
AUX Mode is entered by inserting a AUX device using a​
cable with a 3.5 mm audio jack into the AUX port or by​
touching the MEDIA hard-key located left of the display.​
Once in Media Mode, touch the “Source” soft-key and​
select AUX.​
Inserting Auxiliary Device​
Gently insert the Auxiliary device cable into the AUX​
Port. If you insert a Auxiliary device with the ignition​
ON, the unit will switch to AUX mode and begin to play​
when you insert the device cable.​
Controlling the Auxiliary Device​
The control of the auxiliary device (e.g., selecting playlists,​
play, fast forward, etc.) cannot be provided by the​
radio; use the device controls instead. Adjust the volume​
with the VOLUME rotary knob, or with the volume of the​
attached device.​
The vehicle radio unit is acting as the amplifier for audio​
output from the Auxiliary device. Therefore if the volume​
control on the Auxiliary device is set too low, there will be​
insufficient audio signal for the radio unit to play the​
music on the device.​
3​
MEDIA MODE

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like the base radio only has the usb input, no aux in. I'm guessing you can only play mp3 files into it?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Seems that way from reading the manual. It would be interesting if, with the base radio, the aux socket is only for holding a spare toothpick.

·
Super Moderator
8,386 Posts
I wanted my USB receptacle next to the 12v receptacle to be live all the time so I cut the white wire (+) to it and connected it directly to the battery with a 5 amp fuse. Now I can charge my phone or ipad anytime I like. I left the 12v cigarette lighter receptacle switched for now. The image is upside down but you get the idea. It would be nice to find the connector they use for both these recepticals so as not to have to cut anything. Does anyone know if this is a Fiat or Chrysler type connector? The one on the rear door latch for the backup camera says GM on it!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you've got the UConnect option.. it plays everything over bluetooth. Pandora, MP3's, GPS voice from the phone, reads out text messages.. i mean everything. Any sound my Samsung Note 3 makes is audible through the PM speakers. It's pretty awesome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How much dash did you have to take apart to rewire the usb port to a direct connect? I am considering taking out the passenger side usb port and replace it with another cigarette lighter style plug, wondering if anyone has replaced it yet. Weird that they put one usb port in the cigarette lighter slot instead of maybe two. I have more need for cigarette lighter style as you can use splitters then include a dual usb port.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts