Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPS is adding some more Promasters to their fleet(2) that's all I saw out of 6 loads going north. And USPS started delivery of the 3,339 add on order from march, total now at 12,472 vans. Most of the add on order will be 2016's with a few 2017 to be delivered by end of November 2016.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When visiting Exeter, NH, one day this past summer I saw one drive up and park on the main street. I spoke with the driver who was driving it for the first time as it was literally brand new that day so he could not give any opinion about it. His job was as a carrier delivering mail by foot in the town. (The town is historic with mostly no street side mail boxes so both businesses and homes get delivery to the door.) As he was within walking distance of the Post Office building I asked why the need for the van. He showed me his load in the van which was 3/4 full and what he was carrying on foot. He indicated that he would need to return to the van to reload for his foot route a couple of times then move the van and do more foot routes, etc. most of his work day. He opined that most of the bulk and weight of his deliveries was junk mail but that it "paid the way" as first class mail has almost disappeared. I know the town well and I thought that it appeared to be a perfect application of the Promaster because it could carry more than the smaller Post Office vehicle that he previously used in that he could save considerable time by not needing to go reload during the middle of his work day. Don't ask as to what size it was as I am not sure but I think it was a 2500 high gasser.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see the USPS vans all the time out on their routes and on flat beds. I have never seen a UPS (brown) van on the street only the two on the flat bed going north. I know that the browns are out there but I have not seen them.
So far, I've only seen two USPS Promasters! Wonder where they are using them....

ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see the USPS ones EVERYWHERE. I've chatted with a couple drivers and they all actually seem to really like them. Most of them comment that they are very "zippy" and they like the nimble nature.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I would think the Fed Ex guys would be getting them too. The savings over the Sprinters should be important to those drivers who may be contract employees providing their own vehicles?? Here in AZ the diesel would be a good option as my driver must go 300++ miles a day, maybe a lot more I never asked. He is 120 miles from his depot when he drops off the garbage I’ve ordered from Fleebay or Slamazon.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have seem UPS use the small Promasters as follows:

I live in a semi-rural Virginia area about half way between the Richmond and Newport News airports each about an hour away. As we know UPS for overnight and two day packages uses a system of feeder aircraft to distribution sorting points then various aircraft arriving at the two mentioned airports in the pre-dawn hours. Big trucks then deliver the packages to a distribution building in my general area where the packages art loaded onto the typical brown trucks that hit the road going to the rural and town locations in my area.

Sometimes a glitch in the aviation feeder system results in some packages arriving at either of the two above airports a few hours after the packages have been trucked to the local distribution building for loading onto the familiar trucks. In order to meet the promised delivery that day these few packages are loaded onto Promaster and similar vans and driven directly from the airports to the final destinations bypassing the more local distribution point. Fuel efficiency is important for these long runs for a limited number of packages.

I learned this from talking to drivers rushing to get me, late in the day, a package promised that day.

·
Banned
413 Posts
I've seen PM's in use from both USPS and Fed Ex all summer.

I've noticed the Fed Ex one more often -- parked on the lot, waiting for something, every time I have to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Our local UPS depot has had one in the fleet since about April. It gets used mostly for rush am and special deliveries instead of a usual route.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts