Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Promaster 2500 high roof 136wb in white
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my upper galley cabinet almost completed but it is so oddly shaped inside that I am not sure how to proceed, what have other members done with this space?
Wood Fixture Architecture Building material Composite material

·
Registered
2021 3500 extended in Michigan
321 Posts
There's probably a good deal of wasted space behind the back panel. Depending on how you plan to finish your side walls and ceiling you may be able to do away with the back panel altogether.

My upper cabinet is just a front and bottom panel. The finished ceiling and wall is the back and top of the cabinet.

Vehicle Window Wood Building Automotive exterior
Wood Shelving Gas Rectangle Plastic

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
604 Posts
I used 1/8" masonite to close the gap between the cabinet bottom and the roof of the van. Does not enclose completely, more to keep items from falling into the wall space. The cabinets are made from 3/4" poplar.

Wood Flooring Floor Automotive exterior Hardwood

Building Fixture Ceiling Composite material Design

·
Registered
2021 Promaster 2500 high roof 136wb in white
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My rear cabinets have corrugated plastic for the tops and backs, the galley cabinet will also have a corrugated plastic top.
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Ceiling Machine

The galley cabinet is suspended in the door opening over the galley and mounted to a 1 1/2" beam to allow clearance for the sliding door. I matched this angle when I built the cabinet
Wood Composite material Hardwood Gas Flooring

Now the internal dimensions are 11" deep at the bottom and 13" tall but only 5" deep at the top. How can I utilize this space efficiently? I was considering a shelf towards the top for spices,
Wood Gesture Vehicle Flooring Chair

my girlfriend wants it left open for for taller items. Maybe a shelf that only 3/4s of the way across? I have absolutely no experience with shelves in a van, in my previous build I used plastic tubs stored under the bed. I was hoping someone could give me some insight from their experience.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
884 Posts
White Dishware Shelf Serveware Tableware

I was considering a shelf towards the top for spices, my girlfriend wants it left open for for taller items. Maybe a shelf that only 3/4s of the way across?
That’s exactly what I’m thinking and believe it makes perfect sense. Or use a couple of wire shelf raisers to make the space a double decker storage where you want it, leaving a portion for taller items. That’s what I did in my airstream overhead cabinet, much like this picture.
Remember you don’t want heavy items up there, so if you’re carrying canned goods or such I would place them in a lower cabinet.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
In this area, spices and wine would go bad quickly from the heat.

It also seems like we are forever fighting off ants in this area.

So that makes me imagine using the refrigerator for storing those vs in a cabinet.

Reactions: diytech
1 - 13 of 13 Posts