Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Need some help with the upper cabinets. We didn’t plan ahead too well and are not sure where or how to anchor them.
We have thin plywood covered by wainscoting to attach to..
Does anyone have measurements for the crossbars that run across the back so we have a shot at screwing into the metal?
Thanks!

Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section

Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted as your introductory post helps other long time members when responding to you and also prevents spam.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Upper cabinets were the hard part for me too. I would NOT recommend screwing to the thin plywood, nor just sheet metal screws. I would highly encourage you to try to expose the front-to-back metal rib and use something stronger like plus-nuts, hex shaped rivnuts in the existing hex holes (second best), or rivnuts (my least favorite). These threaded inserts will give you thousands of pounds of weight bearing, and hundreds of pounds of shear force. Remember, even a very low speed accident GREATLY increases the load on your mounting hardware.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Upper cabinets were the hard part for me too. I would NOT recommend screwing to the thin plywood, nor just sheet metal screws. I would highly encourage you to try to expose the front-to-back metal rib and use something stronger like plus-nuts, hex shaped rivnuts in the existing hex holes (second best), or rivnuts (my least favorite). These threaded inserts will give you thousands of pounds of weight bearing, and hundreds of pounds of shear force. Remember, even a very low speed accident GREATLY increases the load on your mounting hardware.
Is THAT what those hex holes are for?

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
It doesn't just need to support the weight, it needs to support the load in an accident.
Yep. My Subaru was rear-ended earlier this year and even though it was a very low speed accident, ~20 mph, it completely detached all of the trim clips in the trunk area, and they were only holding light-weight plastic in place.

Reactions: jracca

·
Registered
585 Posts
For me; Van #2 (as I blew it here on van #1), I would install L track similar to this photo.
Me too, if I was doing it again, I would either go l-track or something like 80/20. As it is the van works great for me, but I can imagine (hope) having different needs in the future and wanting to change things up.

·
Super Moderator
9,228 Posts
Start a conversation. The menu is in the top right hand corner of the page next to the 3 vertical dots (click on your avatar)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts