Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ram Promaster 136
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Been awhile, in the last 4 months the promaster has made 4 trips around America-pulling upwards of 4900 lbs.

And has done great every time, I will say though the mountains of Nevada and Arizona is a gas sucker haha! ( average 20-22 mpgs unloaded as low as 13.5 fully loaded)

I haven’t found much info online on this subject, but wondering if anybody has experience in beefing up the axles and suspension components on the promaster? If so what did you use, sources? Can’t really find much info out there others than the 2500 has “heavy duty” suspension , has anybody done the swap on their 1500?

look forward to reading what y’all have experienced!

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,105 Posts
The limitation is going to be the powertrain. Upgrading axles and suspension won't net you anything, especially as a tow vehicle since most of the weight is riding on the trailer axle, not the tongue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The limitation is going to be the powertrain. Upgrading axles and suspension won't net you anything, especially as a tow vehicle since most of the weight is riding on the trailer axle, not the tongue.
I agree but would add that main limiter of towing capacity is rear part of the frame which was upgraded in mid 2019 to allow additional 1700lbs. Also, beefed up breaks in 2500/3500 models and rear sway bar in 3500 might help.
But at 6800lbs while suspension can probably handle a bit more, the power train is already at it's limit.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,105 Posts
when they upgraded the towing capacity they did not upgrade the GCWR only the towing, so between the two vehicles the capacity is still the same, you can just carry more of your load in the trailer now.

The GVWR is around 8500-9300 depending on vehicle with a towing limit of up to 6800 pounds. but to tow that much your van has to basically be empty or near empty to stay under the Combined limit of 11500. That basicall means you can have an empty van with two people and tow 6800 pounds.

In my case my van has the 5100 pound two rating, but with myself, my conversion, and my gear it weights about 7700 pounds. So I can really only tow (11500-7700) 3800 even if my van was rated to tow 6800 it does no good.
I'd argue that the van will probably handle poorly if you tow at max tow because the van would need to be under (11500-6800) 4700 pounds to get there.

All the new tow rating does is allow more weight in the trailer and less in the van, overall it doesn't do much of anything for most real world users.

·
Registered
2016 Ram Promaster 136
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm has anybody upgraded the power train? I can comfortably pull 4800 lbs and less
Really just want to be able to get a bit more out when needed, it’s a 2016 model

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,378 Posts
One person did a drive by posting that he had installed a turbo on a 3.6L van(s), never to be seen again. No one else has done any performance mods to their engines.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
New 2022 ProMaster are rated 11,500 or 12,000 GCWR depending on model. The higher 12,000 pounds was also indicated on some 2021 with V6 and 6-speed auto. It may be worth looking at what makes the difference, although an extra 500 pounds isn’t that much if not having problems.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts