Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently picked up a 2015 PM to use for dog shows. It's a low-mileage, bare bones unit with the basic radio/CD player, no cruise control or up-fitter wiring. Eventually, I'm planning on turning it into something resembling an RV (insulated wall panels, cushioned floor, cupboards, etc.) so I've been going through most of the threads here to set up a plan. First and foremost however, I need hands-free phone and cruise and I may add a backup camera down the road.

Based on what I've read, I'll probably go with an aftermarket cruise set-up but I'm struggling with the Uconnect. There are good arguments for both OEM and aftermarket so I need to try and back away and look at the bigger picture :

1. What do I need to install a fully functioning Uconnect 5.0 ? I'm not interested in Nav; my phone does a real good job. I've been looking for some system diagrams or schematics to get a clue but I haven't been able locate any schematics or drawings that I can open. So far, I know I need the head, the steering wheel switch assemblies and the additional input port by the L/H UBS connector but I'm sure there's more.

2. If I go aftermarket, what do I need and what functionality do I loose ?

3. Are there any diagrams for the up-fitters wiring ? What I've read so far is that this can't (or won't) be installed at a dealer so, since I'll be adding something eventually (and probably on the drivers side), what does the other end of the connectors connect to ?

This forum has been indispensable so far ! I've got a pretty good idea about how to furnish the rear including some features I hadn't thought about so I was hoping that you folks could help me out.

Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
After living with the uConnect 5 for almost 2 years I would strongly recommend you forget it it is a POS (IMHO) and go the route of a few others here and find an affordable aftermarket head unit and install it. A few others have gone this route with apparent success and considering you have the base radio already it may be a lot simpler than those that tried to replace a uConnect 5 with another unit.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Yup.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Are there different versions of the uCon 5?
The OP here said he has the 'basic radio / CD player'
Also with steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies !

The PM only has the basic radio, nothing else. It helps if I ignore the shadow and actually look at what's in front of me .... feeling kinda stupid.

So far, it sounds like aftermarket is the smartest move; gives me more flexibility and I'm not tied to a marginal system architecture. I'm going to be driving fair distances and usually at night so Bluetooth and a CD are a must; e-books keep me more alert than music. The worst thing is getting where I'm going at 5 AM and having 20 minutes of the story left.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks for the replies !

The PM only has the basic radio, nothing else. It helps if I ignore the shadow and actually look at what's in front of me .... feeling kinda stupid.

So far, it sounds like aftermarket is the smartest move; gives me more flexibility and I'm not tied to a marginal system architecture. I'm going to be driving fair distances and usually at night so Bluetooth and a CD are a must; e-books keep me more alert than music. The worst thing is getting where I'm going at 5 AM and having 20 minutes of the story left.
Do you have the 'basic' 5. Or the 'basic' 3 that has no CD player?
2 different basics

·
Registered
810 Posts
SPrawel;30 3418 said:
It's the basic 3; just a single din radio.
I have the basic UC3 single din with no CD, but it did come with a USB under the ignition key, in that little cubby.
Does yours have that?
I put my audio books on a USB stick and listen no problems.
Copy CD tunes to the stick too.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Mine does, very handy. I have 2,000 tunes on a usb thumb drive, and play them randomly.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mine does, very handy. I have 2,000 tunes on a usb thumb drive, and play them randomly.
Im wondering if all U3 basics are created equal?
Do they ALL have the USB port?
And does any UC3's have an 'audio' in female jack? mine doesnt have the round Audio jack

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I am quite sure all U3's are the same and have the USB port as it is in the 2014 and 2015 owners manual. Perhaps you might review yours to see what is suggested as options for radios?
No audio in on mine either. RTFM?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was something I physically checked. The AUX/audio in jack only comes with the uconnect 5.0 systems, the 3.0 only has the USB port.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts