Ram Promaster Forum banner

Upgrade to LED headlights?

99567 221
Hi,
Just wondering what people think of the LED headlight "upgrades" for the ProMaster?

Some examples listed here: http://www.carid.com/2014-ram-promaster-led-headlight-conversion-kits/

I'm thinking its always nice to have some more headlight reach, but the main thing to me is that it looks like changing headlamps on the PM is a hour long sort of job that involves pulling out the whole headlight assembly. This would be a real pain to do (or try to find someone to do) on a rainy night in the middle of nowhere. I'm thinking that maybe its worth it to do the replacement with LEDs and the life of the LEDs should be long enough that you will never be stuck doing it on the road under less than ideal conditions?

It looks like if you want to do both high and low beams that the bill is going to be about $300, which seems like a lot.

And, you are just taking their word for it that 1) performance is better, and 2) life is longer, 3) that the pattern won't have other drivers flashing their high beams at you for over bright headlamps.

Has anyone tried one of these kits?

Are there better options than the ones at the link above?

Is this a good idea?

Gary
161 - 180 of 222 Posts

· Premium Member
89 Posts
I used the inexpensive Lasfit H7 bulbs to replace the stock halogen bulbs in the low-beam headlights. With the help of a number of YT videos, I got the trim pieces and headlights out without breaking any tabs.

The bulbs fit in there without any need for adapters, brackets, or RVT goo.
Also, they are not much brighter from what I can tell, but very white. I had to lower them quite a bit to match the previous halogen height/pattern. This also lowers the high-beams which sucks.

Still need to test drive at night. Not completely convinced yet, although going from 2x 55W to 2x 20W is of course advantageous. Plus the life span and whiter light. Need to do a bit more research to decide whether I want to dive into high powered LEDs or if the 2x 2000 lumens are sufficient.

One possibility would be to put these into the high-beams and get different LEDs for the low-beams.

While taking out one of the headlights, I noticed that some rodent had made its home there, very nice soft nest. So cute, but I cleaned that out anyway.
Correct, the Lasfits are a great alternative to the stock halogens, but are only ~10% brighter. You DO get reliability, though and it's plug and play. For those that want high-powered LEDS, The conversion kit that I developed (Ram ProMaster Complete H7 LED Headlight Conversion Kit, No RTV Glue (2) is also plug and play and does require not sloppy RTV glue like other kits.

· Registered
2022 Thor Rize on a Promaster 1500
34 Posts
I put in those lamps. IIR, The high beams are adjusted by tilting the whole assembly, the low beams with a doodad somewhere on the top.
Hmmm... I adjusted with the "doodad" torx screw, but obviously that affects the entire light, so the high beams are now low. What am I missing? Could anyone with a 2021 PM confirm?

· Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
893 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Yes, interesting discussion. Yet, unlike Kip says, adjusting the torx screw moves the entire assembly, not just low beam. On my 2021 1500.
Maybe it has changed over the years, or maybe there are differences between the models. Or maybe I am missing something entirely.

· Premium Member
89 Posts
Here's an instructional video I made on aiming the beams (meant for post-installation of my LED headlight conversion kit)

· Registered
34 Posts
I used the inexpensive Lasfit H7 bulbs to replace the stock halogen bulbs in the low-beam headlights. With the help of a number of YT videos, I got the trim pieces and headlights out without breaking any tabs.

The bulbs fit in there without any need for adapters, brackets, or RVT goo.
Also, they are not much brighter from what I can tell, but very white. I had to lower them quite a bit to match the previous halogen height/pattern. This also lowers the high-beams which sucks.

Still need to test drive at night. Not completely convinced yet, although going from 2x 55W to 2x 20W is of course advantageous. Plus the life span and whiter light. Need to do a bit more research to decide whether I want to dive into high powered LEDs or if the 2x 2000 lumens are sufficient.

One possibility would be to put these into the high-beams and get different LEDs for the low-beams.

While taking out one of the headlights, I noticed that some rodent had made its home there, very nice soft nest. So cute, but I cleaned that out anyway.
I am about ready to ramp up the lumens of my headlights. The 2x 2000 from the Lasfit bulbs don't quite cut it.
My understanding is that higher powered LEDs come with their little fans in the base. Then there is a plug that needs to be plugged in... where does that go?
Would something like this work with a bit of RTV and patience?

· Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,989 Posts
I am about ready to ramp up the lumens of my headlights. The 2x 2000 from the Lasfit bulbs don't quite cut it.
My understanding is that higher powered LEDs come with their little fans in the base. Then there is a plug that needs to be plugged in... where does that go?
I bought LEDs with fans and RTV. Install was easy and straightforward. Still in place some 9000 miles later.

· Premium Member
89 Posts
These would likely work, however, the bulbs themselves do fail sometimes and if you RTV them, it's fairly permanant. This is why I released my own in-house H7 bulb, which is a balance between brightness and longevity. My manufactured spec'd a new super-long-life bulb that's rated for 60k hours, and I guarantee them for 2 years. My full headlight conversion kit comes with everything you need to install, including tools, ceramic plug and play adapters, and step-by-step installation videos:

· Registered
34 Posts
I bought LEDs with fans and RTV. Install was easy and straightforward. Still in place some 9000 miles later.
Thanks, yeah I realized that these bulbs don't plug into the socket directly, but rather via that attached plug, so now it all makes sense.

Arvin - RTV is silicone and there are many ways to remove it, just need the right tool. I'll cross that bridge when/if the $30 LEDs fail. Others will prefer to spend 10x that for a "plug and play" solution. It's all good.

· Registered
34 Posts
Just to confirm - the bulbs in the link work great. They are significantly brighter than the Lasfit as well as stock bulbs. Very happy with them, and apparently other drivers too as they cut off cleanly without stray reflections.
I used the Lasfit as high beams - just had to do some minor dremeling as they needed to be turned 180deg to light up. No big deal, and the resulting light beam provides excellent visibility.

· Registered
893 Posts
I used the Lasfit as high beams - just had to do some minor dremeling as they needed to be turned 180deg to light up. No big deal, and the resulting light beam provides excellent visibility.
I swapped the terminals in the socket...

· Registered
893 Posts
Small (eyeglasses) screwdriver to release the tab then the connector slides out of the socket. Super easy once you figure out where the tab is. :) Snaps back in.

This has been detailed elsewhere in the forum. OTOH sometimes the search function returns so much that it is hard to find particular bits of information. Dremel seems like a good solution too.

· Registered
2015 Promaster 159 HR 3500 Deisel
20 Posts
I installed the Headlight Expert H7 LED low beams as well and like another person posted, I don’t feel like I’m driving by candlelight anymore. Only have a couple of night drives so far but very happy with them.
I installed a pair of these from Headlight Experts today. I like that there are no collars to add and they sit nice and flush with the housing so the RTV silicone grips tight. They are a bit long and touch the deflector but the tips unscrew for more clearance. View attachment 62355

· Registered
2014 2500HT 3.6 Gas Met Silver
138 Posts
These would likely work, however, the bulbs themselves do fail sometimes and if you RTV them, it's fairly permanant. This is why I released my own in-house H7 bulb, which is a balance between brightness and longevity. My manufactured spec'd a new super-long-life bulb that's rated for 60k hours, and I guarantee them for 2 years. My full headlight conversion kit comes with everything you need to install, including tools, ceramic plug and play adapters, and step-by-step installation videos:

Arvin - 2014 2500 159HT gasser. Like others on here have complained, I was very unhappy with my headlights, and came across your product on here. After watching a previous customers review, I ordered your newest kit and it arrived yesterday. I installed them today, and was easy after watching your instruction video a couple times. I waited till dark and leveled the beams to around 44" as your other video shows. I am very impressed with the upgrade, and that I can actually see so much better. I am in no way affiliated or compensated for this product review, but this average Joe kinda guy recommends the OpenGlass H7 kit for better lights.

· Premium Member
89 Posts
Arvin - 2014 2500 159HT gasser. Like others on here have complained, I was very unhappy with my headlights, and came across your product on here. After watching a previous customers review, I ordered your newest kit and it arrived yesterday. I installed them today, and was easy after watching your instruction video a couple times. I waited till dark and leveled the beams to around 44" as your other video shows. I am very impressed with the upgrade, and that I can actually see so much better. I am in no way affiliated or compensated for this product review, but this average Joe kinda guy recommends the OpenGlass H7 kit for better lights.
Awesome! Thanks a lot for giving the kit a shot! Let me know if you have questions down the line.

· Registered
2021 ePro w/Tesla motor-1.2kw solar
55 Posts
Small (eyeglasses) screwdriver to release the tab then the connector slides out of the socket. Super easy once you figure out where the tab is. :) Snaps back in.

This has been detailed elsewhere in the forum. OTOH sometimes the search function returns so much that it is hard to find particular bits of information. Dremel seems like a good solution too.
I did look around and man is there a lot about dim headlights!! Larry do you remember where the posts for the LED install are? I'm no against using a little RTV, but I am concerned about getting the LED lamp in the correct location. The optics for the headlight were engineered, and I'd love to reuse the design work done rather than invent my own!
Thanks,
Tim

· Registered
893 Posts
I did look around and man is there a lot about dim headlights!! Larry do you remember where the posts for the LED install are? I'm no against using a little RTV, but I am concerned about getting the LED lamp in the correct location. The optics for the headlight were engineered, and I'd love to reuse the design work done rather than invent my own!
Thanks,
Tim
The direct replacement claims to be 2x brighter, but do not seem to be any brighter than the OEM halogen. They are somewhat more precise and whiter and, if the marketing is believable should be a lifetime bulb. The halogens I removed were already darkening and probably due for replacement. If I were to get the super-bright bulbs with a fan, I would spring for the custom retainer being sold here rather than the RTV solution for the same reasons you list.

Even though, it took several passes before I figured out how to seat and clip in the OEM direct replacements. In short, clip in first THEN attach the socket. There should be no additional alignment needed.

I searched for LED Replacement and found many links. The posting by @Vansibel was the one that got me started. I only have the headlamp and markers replaced. It is going to be more work to get to the brake lights and turn signals so that is on hold.

161 - 180 of 222 Posts