Ram Promaster Forum banner

Upgrade to LED headlights?

99567 221
Hi,
Just wondering what people think of the LED headlight "upgrades" for the ProMaster?

Some examples listed here: http://www.carid.com/2014-ram-promaster-led-headlight-conversion-kits/

I'm thinking its always nice to have some more headlight reach, but the main thing to me is that it looks like changing headlamps on the PM is a hour long sort of job that involves pulling out the whole headlight assembly. This would be a real pain to do (or try to find someone to do) on a rainy night in the middle of nowhere. I'm thinking that maybe its worth it to do the replacement with LEDs and the life of the LEDs should be long enough that you will never be stuck doing it on the road under less than ideal conditions?

It looks like if you want to do both high and low beams that the bill is going to be about $300, which seems like a lot.

And, you are just taking their word for it that 1) performance is better, and 2) life is longer, 3) that the pattern won't have other drivers flashing their high beams at you for over bright headlamps.

Has anyone tried one of these kits?

Are there better options than the ones at the link above?

Is this a good idea?

Gary
141 - 160 of 222 Posts

· Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,438 Posts
happy to see you @phil
I am not a spammer!!!
I am here to share my experience and learn something from you all.
In that case please make an introductory post before posting anymore.

· Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,831 Posts
Agreed generally, but the fanless bulbs have a far better heat-sink. Also, I'm not sure that anything is going to cool much in the contained space of the headlamp housing. I'm also in Florida and I run my headlamps at all times for safety.
Yes, you are probably running them longer than many people and in tough conditions. But still, the expected lifetime of an LED is so great that I would have thought they'd survive. Maybe it's the other components failing in the prolonged heat.

My usage would be much less. We have daytime running lights here and so mine would be used at night and I don't usually drive long distances in the dark. The ambient temps where I'd be traveling are lower too.

What did you replace them with? And how have those fared so far?

· Registered
50 Posts
Recently, I have installed BEAMTECH H11 LED Headlight, and I am happy with it. It is a 50W 6500K 8000 Lumens extremely bright LED headlight. A great product for the money.
Do you have PMC ? I'm happy , that I've Replaced all bulbs for LED on entire front of my vehicle. Head beams have been tested between 2 brands and have chousen one of the best out of two. Did not touch Hi beams , since it is very rear when it need to use. I may replace those, later one. What I have problems now : with all rear lights. Main problems is to balance resistance of the factory bulbs to be matched with LED ones? The Power module controler - is very sensitive to the resistance of each bulb on the rear. I've chosen to purchaser very well selected bulbs from Amazon. Not the cheap ones. Each of those ; has the latest Can Bus Eror Message Cancellation , micro board installed inside. That did not help! Even purchased 6 Ohm resistors and instaled between Ground and Signal Wire. Only have mannaged to eliminate the "Bulb out" warning message on instrument panel ; for Rear Turn Left and Right Signal . I keep working on that project. Mechanic in the electric A motive shop , has recommended to measute of each factory bulb , goes on the rear , and match resistance of LED with resistor together. I'm weighting for Pothenciometers delivery. Amazon Has problems now. i would be glead ; if someone who has done it to share their experianse with me ? My next project on My 2015 PMC is Fog Lite. I'd like to get the most Brightest for those. I've seen on Motorcycle guys, on freeway ; you can cee those one mile out ! Was impressed with performance they do. Hapened to ask on the parking , next to the store in one guy what brand they used to install ? He has mentioned of couple with me. It turns out the LED Ion type of bulbs are the brightest yellow color at this day.

· Registered
2014 gas 159" hightop cargo
65 Posts
I finally installed 4 x H7 AOLEAD bulbs LED 80 W high power 16,000 lm 6000 K in the light blocks at the front.

H7 Led Headlight Bulb, AOLEAD 80W High Power 16000LM 6000K Extremely Bright CSP Chips Conversion Kit, Headlight Bulbs - Amazon Canada
H7 Led Headlight Bulb, AOLEAD 80W High Power 16000LM 6000K Extremely Bright CSP Chips Conversion Kit in Headlight Bulbs.
www.amazon.ca

Reasonable price, and quick and easy installation using Red RTV as suggested elsewhere on the forum. No problem with the Canbus, which I feared.

I am very satisfied with the light produced, its intensity and the very white color which appreciably improves night lighting, as well as daytime visibility.

However I realized that the two high and low beams almost overlapped on the low ray, so that I do not take advantage of the beautiful light of the highs.

I am looking for and have not found, either in the manual or on the net, how to independently adjust the beams of the headlights. Anyone have a suggestion? Thank you.

· Registered
207 Posts
...However I realized that the two high and low beams almost overlapped on the low ray, so that I do not take advantage of the beautiful light of the highs.

I am looking for and have not found, either in the manual or on the net, how to independently adjust the beams of the headlights. Anyone have a suggestion? Thank you.
There is no way to independently adjust the high and low. It's a single unit that moves both beams vertically and horizontally in unison. Make sure that your bulbs are mounted on squarely and that the leds are oriented to point left and right and not up and down or on an angle.

· Registered
2014 gas 159" hightop cargo
65 Posts
Thanks for the information, Celilo. After checking, the LED bulbs appear to be oriented correctly. I will see what I can do best by playing with the height adjustment which I found the diagram on a site dedicated to Ducato.

· Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for the information, Celilo. After checking, the LED bulbs appear to be oriented correctly. I will see what I can do best by playing with the height adjustment which I found the diagram on a site dedicated to Ducato.
I have a different configuration on my 2014. There is a barrel adjuster on the front of the lamp assembly for vertical adjustment.

· Registered
2017 PM 2500 Camper Vandemic
61 Posts
You may want to check these posts too. I had a good experience with some relatively inexpensive bulbs off Amazon...

· Registered
1 Posts
Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you mak
Hi all, I'm now under reonstruction of Promaster headlights to make them more european ;) As I need a van and hate diesels then Promaster was a natural choice.

What will be done?
Hi/Low beam on a LED projector
Hi beam will get an HID bulb to support the projector but the switch on will be delayed for 0,5s to ensure passing to be made only with LED projector (that will make a longer lifetime of a HID)
LED DRL will be installed below the Hi beam spot - in an OEM place. But DRL will also dimm to make a white parking light (EU requirement) and will completely switch off when indicator will start operating. LED indicator will be placed at same place as DRL.

Now the upper part of a headlight. I've got some ideas.

Led projector is almost retrofitted today. I mean I have put it in and set the beam. Next steps will follow ;)

· Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
575 Posts
I made a shim out of aluminum tape, that offset the bottom side of the high beam bulbs by about an eighth of an inch. This shifted the high beam LEDs down, and brought the light pattern up so that the hot spot no longer overlaps the low beam.

· Registered
50 Posts
I'm considering jumping in on this mod but am wondering how to remove the rtv in such a small opening? Will that need a scalpel?
Also, how does everyone secure the wiring? Any issues rattling things apart on dirt roads?

· Registered
2 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
I used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LCE19N4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a small screw under the hole where you mount the bulb. I just took a flat mending plate and bent it like a "Z" so that it overlapped the bulb and is held down by the screw.
Ha! I did the exact same thing because I broke the clip. I used Halogens. Now I have to change the drivers side. I’m going with LED this time. The halogens shouldn’t be burning out as quickly as they are. Strange.

· Premium Member
2014 Promaster 1500
184 Posts
I probably replaced my EOM headlamp bulbs back and forth 8x times. Once or twice a year. A year ago I finally bought LEDs off Amazon and they have been working great - and BRIGHT - for a year+. The 2014 OEMs were like holding a candle in front of the bumper. I had to install the LEDs with the thermal glue and let set overnight. If/when they die I can Dremel cut them back out and replace. I remember looking at a 2018 PM and couldn't believe they were not LED yet. Have they ever offered LEDs headlamps yet from the factory? Funny my PM is seven years old and I don't see anything really 'better' about the current model.

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,427 Posts
Have they ever offered LEDs headlamps yet from the factory?
no
The Ducato x290 has an LED headlight assembly, but I've only seen halogen x250 Ducato/Promaster headlight assemblies.

The US is one step behind in adopting new headlight technology.

"However, when it comes to the lights that work as your main forward illumination in the U.S., they must remain sealed beam, HID, or replaceable halogen bulbs in a housing as fitted from the factory. "

Aftermarket LED Lights
Yes, LED replacements are available via the aftermarket. Installing them is technically modifying your headlights and not allowed by national law through FMVSS. Yes, you only changed the bulb, but the headlamp no longer conforms to factory—i.e. legal—specs.. The reflector and lens of American vehicles' headlights are designed to work with those halogens, which is why using an LED replacement bulb is both illegal and typically results in crappier lighting than the OEM units.

· Premium Member
89 Posts
This thread came up as the first result when searching "ProMaster led adapter" on Google, so I'm going to place a breadcrumb here.

I've designed an adapter for the ProMaster (2016-2022) that allows you to upgrade to high powered H7 LEDs. I also sell a complete LED conversion kit that includes all the tools necessary for headlight removal, bulb installation, and vertical beam aiming...along with my choice of differentiated bulbs picked specifically for low-beam & high-beam.

I am aware that there are direct plug and play H7 bulbs available. While these are more reliable than their halogen counterparts, they only emit about 10 to 15% brighter than the stock halogen bulbs. The point of my adapter is to allow the use of a high-powered H7 LED, which most certainly requires a fat heatsink and fan at the back. These high-powered bulbs are about 300% brighter.

You can find the kits at my shop: www.openglass.store

Cheers to bright night roads,
Arvin

· Registered
2022 Thor Rize on a Promaster 1500
34 Posts
I used the inexpensive Lasfit H7 bulbs to replace the stock halogen bulbs in the low-beam headlights. With the help of a number of YT videos, I got the trim pieces and headlights out without breaking any tabs.

The bulbs fit in there without any need for adapters, brackets, or RVT goo.
Also, they are not much brighter from what I can tell, but very white. I had to lower them quite a bit to match the previous halogen height/pattern. This also lowers the high-beams which sucks.

Still need to test drive at night. Not completely convinced yet, although going from 2x 55W to 2x 20W is of course advantageous. Plus the life span and whiter light. Need to do a bit more research to decide whether I want to dive into high powered LEDs or if the 2x 2000 lumens are sufficient.

One possibility would be to put these into the high-beams and get different LEDs for the low-beams.

While taking out one of the headlights, I noticed that some rodent had made its home there, very nice soft nest. So cute, but I cleaned that out anyway.

141 - 160 of 222 Posts