Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just wondering what people think of the LED headlight "upgrades" for the ProMaster?

Some examples listed here: http://www.carid.com/2014-ram-promaster-led-headlight-conversion-kits/

I'm thinking its always nice to have some more headlight reach, but the main thing to me is that it looks like changing headlamps on the PM is a hour long sort of job that involves pulling out the whole headlight assembly. This would be a real pain to do (or try to find someone to do) on a rainy night in the middle of nowhere. I'm thinking that maybe its worth it to do the replacement with LEDs and the life of the LEDs should be long enough that you will never be stuck doing it on the road under less than ideal conditions?

It looks like if you want to do both high and low beams that the bill is going to be about $300, which seems like a lot.

And, you are just taking their word for it that 1) performance is better, and 2) life is longer, 3) that the pattern won't have other drivers flashing their high beams at you for over bright headlamps.

Has anyone tried one of these kits?

Are there better options than the ones at the link above?

Is this a good idea?

Gary

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't have an alternative to you but I can tell you that I upgraded to LED on my motorbike and it's made a huge difference.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi,
Just wondering what people think of the LED headlight "upgrades" for the ProMaster?

Some examples listed here: http://www.carid.com/2014-ram-promaster-led-headlight-conversion-kits/

I'm thinking its always nice to have some more headlight reach, but the main thing to me is that it looks like changing headlamps on the PM is a hour long sort of job that involves pulling out the whole headlight assembly. This would be a real pain to do (or try to find someone to do) on a rainy night in the middle of nowhere. I'm thinking that maybe its worth it to do the replacement with LEDs and the life of the LEDs should be long enough that you will never be stuck doing it on the road under less than ideal conditions?

It looks like if you want to do both high and low beams that the bill is going to be about $300, which seems like a lot.

And, you are just taking their word for it that 1) performance is better, and 2) life is longer, 3) that the pattern won't have other drivers flashing their high beams at you for over bright headlamps.

Has anyone tried one of these kits?

Are there better options than the ones at the link above?

Is this a good idea?

Gary
Gary,

Did you end up getting LED lights? I am considering the same thing.. I am used to xenon lights on my last car and both the high and low beams on the promaster seem very inadequate to me.

-Tyler

·
Registered
174 Posts
There are a couple of install issues with the LED light bulbs.

First, the way the LED bulbs secure into the headlight will not work with the factory "clip" system. From another thread here they recommended using RTV gasket sealant to secure the bulbs. I can say 100% that works.

2nd, most of the LED bulbs are too tall and will not completely clear the cap that seals the high beam, it will leave it 1/8 of a turn open. So I modified the seal by grinding down the plastic on the seal cap.

3rd, taking the headlights out the first time is a bit intimidating. If you watch the video the guy is very careful not to break the retainer clip on the trim piece below the light. I tried to avoid this and use his instructions but ultimately I broke both of the cent retainer clips, but doesnt really matter. The trim piece has enough security holding it with 1 screw and the clip at the other end.

If you are up for a learning experience it is totally worth it! These are the bulbs I put in months ago: Akoli H7 LED Headlight Bulbs All-in-one Conversion Kit - 80w 8,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE Bought 2 sets to do both my highs and lows for less than 1 set on CarID. Sorry guys, but those prices are insane!

Here are some photos of those headlights in action: https://goo.gl/photos/WN4DBUvjJyMbEbj66 Notice the close up pics, you can see the red RTV sealant by the base of the bulb. That stuff holds and no additional clips are needed. Wasted my time trying to make some metal retainer clips and after months of use and thousands of miles, the RTV has held fast!

If someone does find a direct plug and play replacement it would be awesome to know. But anything with a heatsink or fan on the back will not directly work with the stupid system the PM has. Thanks to this forum and the Youtube videos though, they helped me figure out a solution.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Andrew, I like how the ad for your bulbs say they can be installed in 20 minutes! Are there any other bulbs out there that might fit with plug and play?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gary,

Did you end up getting LED lights? I am considering the same thing.. I am used to xenon lights on my last car and both the high and low beams on the promaster seem very inadequate to me.

-Tyler
Hi,
Did not follow through on this, although it still seems like a good idea to me.
Keeping an eye on this thread to see if a good solution comes up.

Gary

·
Registered
155 Posts
There are a couple of install issues with the LED light bulbs.

First, the way the LED bulbs secure into the headlight will not work with the factory "clip" system. From another thread here they recommended using RTV gasket sealant to secure the bulbs. I can say 100% that works.

2nd, most of the LED bulbs are too tall and will not completely clear the cap that seals the high beam, it will leave it 1/8 of a turn open. So I modified the seal by grinding down the plastic on the seal cap.

3rd, taking the headlights out the first time is a bit intimidating. If you watch the video the guy is very careful not to break the retainer clip on the trim piece below the light. I tried to avoid this and use his instructions but ultimately I broke both of the cent retainer clips, but doesnt really matter. The trim piece has enough security holding it with 1 screw and the clip at the other end.

If you are up for a learning experience it is totally worth it! These are the bulbs I put in months ago: Akoli H7 LED Headlight Bulbs All-in-one Conversion Kit - 80w 8,000Lm 6K Cool White CREE Bought 2 sets to do both my highs and lows for less than 1 set on CarID. Sorry guys, but those prices are insane!

Here are some photos of those headlights in action: https://goo.gl/photos/WN4DBUvjJyMbEbj66 Notice the close up pics, you can see the red RTV sealant by the base of the bulb. That stuff holds and no additional clips are needed. Wasted my time trying to make some metal retainer clips and after months of use and thousands of miles, the RTV has held fast!

If someone does find a direct plug and play replacement it would be awesome to know. But anything with a heatsink or fan on the back will not directly work with the stupid system the PM has. Thanks to this forum and the Youtube videos though, they helped me figure out a solution.
Thank you! I saw your post on the other thread as well, I was hoping someone would come forward with a plug and play replacement :).

Did you use the same bulbs for low and high beams? I was curious about how the high beams work.. if the vehicle is just providing extra power to the bulb, does the LED handle it correctly and brighten somewhat linearly?

·
Registered
174 Posts
There will likely never be a plug and play LED light set that will work with our Promasters. You will see what I mean when you open up the head light and see how the bulb attaches. It is a very interesting setup. The clip system that is used on the bulb is very cheap, I broke one of those too just trying to get the burnt out bulb out. All total, I think I broke 3 or 4 things just to change 1 burnt out bulb! That is why I quickly ordered LED bulbs so in theory I shouldnt ever have to mess with it again.

No the high and low beams are separate so you will need to order 2 sets of lights. I haven't tried those super expensive bulbs like the ones found on CarID but after doing some research and comparing the lights I got and some of the more expensive ones, they seem to be almost the same: Cree LED, same lumens, and similar design but way more affordable.

I am very happy with the mod I did to make this work. If you do go forward, start in the morning and by the evening (especially if it is hot out) the RTV sealant will be dry and ready to use.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There will likely never be a plug and play LED light set that will work with our Promasters. You will see what I mean when you open up the head light and see how the bulb attaches. It is a very interesting setup. The clip system that is used on the bulb is very cheap, I broke one of those too just trying to get the burnt out bulb out. All total, I think I broke 3 or 4 things just to change 1 burnt out bulb! That is why I quickly ordered LED bulbs so in theory I shouldnt ever have to mess with it again.

No the high and low beams are separate so you will need to order 2 sets of lights. I haven't tried those super expensive bulbs like the ones found on CarID but after doing some research and comparing the lights I got and some of the more expensive ones, they seem to be almost the same: Cree LED, same lumens, and similar design but way more affordable.

I am very happy with the mod I did to make this work. If you do go forward, start in the morning and by the evening (especially if it is hot out) the RTV sealant will be dry and ready to use.
Thanks for all the info.

Do you find your LED setup brighter? Cleaner/whiter than stock?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just put LEDs in my low beams. Man, they are substantially brighter! So much so that I am worried about blinding the other drivers. Did you guys adjust them at all after the install?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just put LEDs in my low beams. Man, they are substantially brighter! So much so that I am worried about blinding the other drivers. Did you guys adjust them at all after the install?
Which LEDs did you use? Did you make your own retainer clips or use the high temp gasket sealer?

Thanks for any info - I have been wanting to do this, but holding off due to the complexity/unknowns.

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do the Hikari LEDs for both low and high beams aim the light correctly?

So you did not use any RTV sealant to hold them down; just the bent plate?

I️ just did the lows. They are not correct- way too high and bright. On the plus side, they turn the night into day. On the downside I️ feel like a jerk blinding people.

I️ did not need or use sealant the way I️ did it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I show the same results too. I went with updated Phillips bulbs that gives a little better light from the OEM but not even close to the LEDs!
I am looking to install the OEM fog light kit. Before i go this route i need to make sure there is partially wired for fog lights. I found the installation manual for these fog lights so after the holidays I need to remove the air deflector under the front bumper to look for the wire harness. If it's there then I can instal the OEM fog lights, have them activated by the dealer and later on upgrade the bulbs!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Need more info dudes

how did you connect the old wires to the new?

all of these LED and HID conversions seem to be custom diy projects. i am totally down for the attempt just need a little more information.
how do the LED lights with the 2 prong wall plug in looking connectors work?
what is the biggest difference in LED and HID?
how does it all hold up in this cold AF weather?

thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
1 - 20 of 105 Posts