Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to the ram bodybuilders guide for those that have the upfitters connection as an option:

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/iph/iph2014/iph2014v/iph2014v_files/frame.htm

There's actually a bit of other info there to - paint codes, model codes, measurements, design recommendations for upfitters...

They could name it "the info you'd hope a dealer might give you since you paid $35 for the option but most dealers don't know anything about it pages" ;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Why isnt their any info regarding seat installaion? Isnt that a common upfit?
Yep, you'd think there would be some special considerations regarding the air bags in them...

Can't even recall reading anything on them in the operators manual. You'd think there would be something as far as "cautions"? I'm quite sure installing a seat cover could effect their proper operation?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Some pics:

Three sets of wires:
upper - lights ect.
middle - speakers
lower - 50 amp connection

There's a relay. Don't have any info on it but it's there.

The 50 amp wiring and plug.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Don't know much about elec systems. I'm curious about the function of this as an option, why it's wanted, and how it helps with rv conversions? Thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Note2: good luck finding a matching connector for the 50a power plug. I've been looking for a while!

Ed
Needle in the haystack search, ugh?

If I use it I plan to just cut off theirs and replace it. There's enough slack in the wire for that

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know much about elec systems. I'm curious about the function of this as an option, why it's wanted, and how it helps with rv conversions? Thanks
It was on the PM I picked. The dealer couldn't tell me squat about it, but I wasn't surprised by that. Wasn't too concerned as it's only $35

If you look at the link post in post #1 you'll see some of the connections possible. For me the 50 amp and speaker connects are useful. The rest? Time will tell.

Is it needed?
You can do the speaker wiring from the dash. A bit more work but do-able. It's in another post on here. Flash did it.

The 50 amp lead (approx. 8 gauge) is useful but has its limits. If you look at a wiring chart ( something like this: http://dcthermal.com/wire-guidecharts) you can see that if you want to tie a bunch of small amp loads to it can be used. If you want to use it for a 40 or 50 amp load you don't have much capacity to use with it as far as distance and voltage drop. I want to put an 40 amp electric heater in the rear of my PM. Assuming it's about three feet from the battery to the upfitters connector, there's not much wire that can be added before the voltage drop is too much for my use. I'll just run a new wire of the needed gauge to the battery for my heater use. I'll probably use the 50 amp lead to put a rear outlet in and a couple of lights.

My two cents: Doing an RV/camper? I wouldn't go searching for a PM with it because you'll probably want a more capable electric system that what it will provide, but for $35 dollars it has it's uses.

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
I'm betting some up-fitter or RV maker has found the plug is available and their wiring diagram may show other uses. Perhaps someone with a coach can chime in here and help us out with the uses at least? As for the plug I seem to remember that FCA listed it's number but for the life of me I cannot find it again! CRS

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
On the bigger 15 pin multi connector there's a lot of access points for stuff like side marker lights, door lock actuators, ignition on signals, etc...

My concern with the 50A connector is that it's on the wrong side. It would be very useful behind the driver's seat. That's where I want to put an extra battery (charging?) and distribution panel. By putting it behind the passenger seat, anything you want to connect will block the sliding door! So you have to extend the wires to a useful location and incur more voltage loss.

The 50A connector is provided by an Italian company - the others are Tyco-compatible and easy to find.

Ed

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. There is a lot going on in that little space.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For those of you who have the upfitter connector, where does the other end connect to? I found the connector for the speakers, but what about all the other stuff? I haven't taken off any more trim panels by the glove box yet, but supposedly there's some more connectors hiding there.

Which also makes me want to know where the factory hitch connector wiring is connected.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My dealer couldn't find the 50 amp plug, anybody have any luck finding one?
I don't have my Promaster yet so I can't tell if you need the male or the female. They are MTA connectors. Finding a US source may be difficult but I may be able to once I know which of these connectors is needed. In the picture below do you need item 1 or item 2? I think it is item number 1 but need someone to confirm.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just try to find a place to sell you one with that part number. All I found is industrial distributers selling in lots. If there is an Italian out there, you probably will have better luck searching for one.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Looked at more closely, there are both parts of the plug provided, all that is needed is the correct spades to fit in one half and some sort of insert to hold them.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts