Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I was working with a dealer to purchase a Promaster, who said I would qualify for the upfit rebate. I am ordering a 2015. I am using the vehicle to transport my dogs to performance events and am having a conversion company do some work-- electrical, A/C, fan, insulation and walls. But the van is for personal use and not for business purposes.

As it turned out, I didn't like the deal he was offering and went to a second dealer. That dealer told me I didn't qualify for the rebate, and showed me some paperwork from Chrysler that indicated it had to be for business use and had a list of qualifying documents (none of which I would be able to offer).

So what's the truth? Was the first guy right or blowing smoke? Does anyone have any more info? I really hate the vehicle buying process-- I don't trust any of them!

Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
If a dealer wants to make the sale, the rules are able to be stretched some. It just depends on how badly they want to sell you a van. I am a plumber, but I don't own my own business. My PM is for personal use. My dealer was able to get me the up-fit money to use toward my wall paneling and a Weather Guard Itemizer drawer system. They also got me the Carrier dealer discount based on the fact that the company I work for qualifies for both. So rules are stretchable depending upon who you are talking to. Good luck in your purchase!

·
Registered
892 Posts
You need a business license to get up fitters rebate. I didn't qualify either. Not fair in my opinion

·
Super Moderator
10,684 Posts
They never even asked me it just showed up on the paperwork as a $1000 extra discount!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here is an actual list of qualifiers for the upfit rebate all of which are business related. I do not have a business license per say, but I file my taxes as a business not a 1040- individual so I was able to satisfy this with my tax return. My dealer was being audited by corporate so they were by the book. Another dealer I talked to did not care and would have given anyone the rebate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
All I can add is my experience. I had no trouble getting the $1000, only needing to show a USDOT number and TA number as I recall. Both of those are trucking company deals. The $1000 went to the dealer's buddy down the road, a motor home sales place, who proceeded to do a $300 job but charge $1000. And I had to take it back to them for rework, because apparently installing e-track and a plywood floor is rocket science.

More importantly, I was also able to use the same USDOT/TA numbers to not have to pay sales tax - a $2000+ value.

My advice: lie to them and tell them it's for business use. If you have a business (of any kind) you should be taking advantage of this AND writing it off for taxes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So it looks like there is up to a 1k allowance. So that number is paid directly to the upfitter or do they just discount the vehicle?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I received my up fit allowance after providing a receipt for the work. I had shelves and a ladder rack installed. The check was made payable to my company after I had paid for the work- $1000 reimbursement.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If a dealer wants to make the sale, the rules are able to be stretched some. It just depends on how badly they want to sell you a van. I am a plumber, but I don't own my own business. My PM is for personal use. My dealer was able to get me the up-fit money to use toward my wall paneling and a Weather Guard Itemizer drawer system. They also got me the Carrier dealer discount based on the fact that the company I work for qualifies for both. So rules are stretchable depending upon who you are talking to. Good luck in your purchase!

So did you have to sign the document? (as shown in the reply posted by DavidMFear) Did you have to provide paperwork?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Did you ever sell something on eBay? Or maybe Craigslist? Then you sir have a business!! Just put in your social if they ask for an EIN number.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So did you have to sign the document? (as shown in the reply posted by DavidMFear) Did you have to provide paperwork?
I never saw that form. Not sure how it got processed, but it was all done by the time I signed for the van. The up-fits were arranged through the dealer and the rebate money was credited on my bill of sale. No waiting, no hassle. I shopped my order around to four different dealers. Not all dealers were so flexible. Some were very by the books with the rebate. I guess I don't care how they did it. It worked out in my favor.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
My advice is to not mention the rebate unless you can guarantee you will qualify. The reason being that the dealer wants the deal and will do what he can to make it happen (let them figure out how to get their credits/rebates). Do your homework to determine the price you are willing to pay and shop it until a dealer takes it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My dealer required a DBA certificate/document that verified I was a legitimate business what ever that means. Your right, if the dealer wants the sale they will figure a way to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
10,684 Posts
Many people have business that they run in their own names and don't have a business permit. There are many kinds of business that are run out of the back of a vehicle (many are even legal). A business permit or license means nothing at all where as a simple credit check will show if you have a "business"! I happen to live in a state that has no sales or use tax so I don't even have a sales tax exemption number. I've used my social security number and personal name for over 40 years!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently, I was working with a dealer to purchase a Promaster, who said I would qualify for the upfit rebate. I am ordering a 2015. I am using the vehicle to transport my dogs to performance events and am having a conversion company do some work-- electrical, A/C, fan, insulation and walls. But the van is for personal use and not for business purposes.

As it turned out, I didn't like the deal he was offering and went to a second dealer. That dealer told me I didn't qualify for the rebate, and showed me some paperwork from Chrysler that indicated it had to be for business use and had a list of qualifying documents (none of which I would be able to offer).

So what's the truth? Was the first guy right or blowing smoke? Does anyone have any more info? I really hate the vehicle buying process-- I don't trust any of them!

Thanks!
I am the commercial sales manager for a Chrysler Dealership. The actual rules for the up-fit rebate are listed below:

CUSTOMER ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES AND REQUIREMENTS
:
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3...A yes answer to All three simple questions below can help you verify customer eligibility for an On-The-Job claim.
1) Is the customer a business owner?
2) Will the vehicle be used in the day-to-day operation of the business?
3) Can the customer provide one of the following eligible business documents?

If a vehicle is purchased in an individuals' name, the customer must provide proof of proprietorship to document that the individual customer is the business proprietor.

Commercial customers must provide one of the following to be considered for eligibility:
1) Copy of government document showing business tax identification number and business name
2) Business incorporation documents
3) State, County, or municipal business license
4) Copy of government document showing nonprofit tax identification number and business name
5) Federal or State Income Tax forms showing operation as a business entity.
6) Enrolled Business Link customer number
7) A fleet account number
8) Business License
9) Copy of DBA or assumed name documentation
10) Sales tax license
11) Workman’s compensation/commercial general liability insurance
12) State or federal forms with federal tax ID
13) A complete copy of the most recent original tax return form 1040 and all related schedules (including schedule C or F) that were filed with the IRS.
14) A copy of an official government website document verifying the customer’s business.

Here in Michigan, all of our Business Link deals are auditted. A dealer offering rebated for which a customer is not qualified will result in back charges and penalties to the dealership. All deals without corresponding documentation will be return to the dealer.

That being said, the dealer can choose to tell you they are giving you the discount and take the money out of their profit in order to make the sale. The likelyhood is nil that the dealer would provide you with any rebate without proper documentation (be that Lease Loyalty, Up-Fit Allowances, Military rebates or others). There is too much at stake for the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts