Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing the new 2023 model with the modern dash and electronics made me look again at upgrading the cockpit as much as I could. Splurged on the Sony XAV-9500ES that has a 10” “floating” screen. Definitely overkill on the audio side with the stock speakers, but I like the integration with my phone and the vehicle computer so far! The latter requires the Maestro interface between the Sony and the van ECU.
Vehicle Steering part Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Plant

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Plant Automotive design

Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Motor vehicle Vehicle Plant Automotive design Car

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
645 Posts
Very nice , do you still have steering wheel button functions , voice control to check messages etc ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice , do you still have steering wheel button functions , voice control to check messages etc ?
Yes, all the steering wheel controls work (through the Maestro adapter), so it all feels factory. And voice control through Siri works well as part of Apple CarPlay to do everything safely with all the available apps like Messaging. It also does Android Car integration the same basic way.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm impressed with the Maestro adapter integration with the PM. That's really good to see. The Sony is expensive, but you get a lot for the money spent.

Did you install this over the Uconnect, or did you have an original DIN radio to begin with? Also, is that the OEM backup camera feed on the screen in your photo, or a Sony compatible aftermarket addition?

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a big splurge for me but I just had to modernize and integrate the cockpit some more. I still have the ScanGauge for that. We spend a lot of time staring at this stuff on the road! The Maestro adapter was the big feature for me other than CarPlay. Too bad it doesn’t get transmission temp though.

The Sony is definitely overkill given that it has high-end audio components and I’m connecting it to cheap OEM door speakers and tweeters. I’m not an audiophile and couldn’t really tell the difference in sound quality.

I got the Sony mainly because the anti-glare capacitive touch screen looks more OEM and acts just like a huge iPhone. There are other units like the JVC that are more configurable and also have hdmi inputs if you want to watch movies there while camping, etc.

The Uconnect was totally removed…it’s also a single DIN chassis underneath so these units fit well with a simple bezel adapter. And the rear camera feed is from the OEM camera. It’s actually not a great picture since the camera wasn’t designed for a 10” screen. Still usable though, and I might upgrade the camera itself the next time I mess around with all the wires I have coming in the van back there!

I'm impressed with the Maestro adapter integration with the PM. That's really good to see. The Sony is expensive, but you get a lot for the money spent.

Did you install this over the Uconnect, or did you have an original DIN radio to begin with? Also, is that the OEM backup camera feed on the screen in your photo, or a Sony compatible aftermarket addition?

Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ScanGauge does show transmission temperature. I’d started with the UltraGauge to try to make that work but it doesn’t seem possible. So I ended up also getting a SG almost just for that. I use the SG for more critical info like coolant temp, oil temp, transmission temp and voltage near the gauges and kept the UG for things like fuel gallons, instant and average MPG, etc. We’ll see if I can get rid of some things with the new gauges available through the head unit…
Thanks for the kind reply. Very interesting. The Maestro adapters keep getting better it seems.

Off topic..,You mentioned not seeing transmission temperature, but does your ScanGauge pick that up OK?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
7,137 Posts
@ohecht, our primary incentive to upgrade would be reception—lIke you we are not audiophiles, but we would like to be able to listen to stations we enjoy in our 15-year-old Tundra. Have you noticed an improvement in reception with this unit?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seeing the new 2023 model with the modern dash and electronics made me look again at upgrading the cockpit as much as I could. Splurged on the Sony XAV-9500ES that has a 10” “floating” screen. Definitely overkill on the audio side with the stock speakers, but I like the integration with my phone and the vehicle computer so far! The latter requires the Maestro interface between the Sony and the van ECU. View attachment 85805
View attachment 85807
View attachment 85806
View attachment 85804
View attachment 85803
View attachment 85802
I like that a lot. Did your van have the Blind Spot Alert feature? If yes, did you integrate it into your new system? Thanks jc

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,095 Posts
@ohecht, our primary incentive to upgrade would be reception—lIke you we are not audiophiles, but we would like to be able to listen to stations we enjoy in our 15-year-old Tundra. Have you noticed an improvement in reception with this unit?
I too have found the radio reception a bit lacking. Two different after market units, soI suspect the antenna is to blame. I've thought about buying a cheap after market antenna just to connect it to see if it is better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts