Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine that you located THE PERFECT PROMASTER with every feature you want, just like the BUILD AND PRICE versions at RAM.COM.

Well, except 1 feature.

It has everything you have dreamed of in a Promaster, except 1 feature.

It's a 99% Unicorn!

Imagine you've called the dealership and the nice salesperson confirmed, yes, it is on the lot as we speak! VIN matches, check. Color and features, check.

Heck, the dealership has already marked it down $1200 lower than MSRP on the sticker.

Folks, it's perfect. Except, of course, for that 1 missing feature...

The 99% Unicorn is a LOW ROOF.

What would you do if you're 6 foot four like me, and the absolute perfect Promaster is ready... but it's a LOW ROOF!

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? DRF

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would you even think about it. Nothing perfect about it if it is a low roof.
I understand your perspective but...

WHERE ARE MY LOW ROOF AND 118 HOMIES AT?

Will no one speak out to support the humble LOW ROOF? No one? Crickets? :)

DRF

·
Registered
135 Posts

DRF
I am fine with my 2017 136 lowboy, Im 6 feet. I bought certified pre owned.

If I was buying new, I would highboy, probably.

I can't however get my head around the Promaster City. Were not doing that, right?

Here I am: PUMPTITTIE: 2017 136 Lowboy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am fine with my 2017 136 lowboy, Im 6 feet. I bought certified pre owned.

If I was buying new, I would highboy, probably.

I can't however get my head around the Promaster City. Were not doing that, right?

Here I am: PUMPTITTIE: 2017 136 Lowboy
No sir, this would be a maxed out loaded 136 LOW ROOF with every bell and whistle AND driver sliding door.

AND A LOW ROOF! :)

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
599 Posts
To me the only reason for a low van is if you have a height restriction such as a garage or parking structure. Other than that I cannot really think of a reason not to get a hightop.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm glad I'm not hunched over like in the old Econoline . But the point on top of my head scrapes the roof and will be putting padding on the door frame tops to soften the melon scrapes coming and going .
Get the van and later get one of those pop tops .

·
Registered
19 Posts
The standard roof is not a unicorn if it's what you want and meets your needs. There is a demand for ALL the Promaster models, so why let other people's opinion drive your decision? If you want a standard roof, why not go for it? We had to order our standard roof 1500 because there was nothing new with close enough options or anything used that was not too thrashed. On the other hand, if you want or need a high roof, that's a different matter!

·
Registered
2021 PM 2500 HT
30 Posts
Seven years ago we were just retired (age 55), totally clueless about "vanlife", and had zero experience camping. We bought a Nissan NV200 (53 inches high in the cargo area). We built it out and started camping.

After two seasons we paid $7000 to have a pop-top installed. It totally changed our camping life, and it still fit in our 80 inch high garage. Being able to stand up was a revelation - it took a couple of months to stop crouching every time we got in! We loved it and had many awesome adventures.

Now at 62 we just sold the Nissan and bought a 159" high top Promaster. We want camping to be FUN, and the high top is just a better solution for enjoying our campervan.

So if you are young & flexible (able to crawl across the floor), or if it absolutely must fit in a residential garage, a low top could be OK.

Or plan on getting a pop top for about $10k at today's prices.

Or get a high top!

BrianB

·
Registered
19 Posts
To me the only reason for a low van is if you have a height restriction such as a garage or parking structure. Other than that I cannot really think of a reason not to get a hightop.
Well, for some people that's a very big reason. In addition, there are overhangs and portals at hotels, fast food restaurants, drive up windows, etc. Then there are 2-track unimproved roads with low hanging trees, etc. And air resistance and extra side-wind load in places that are very windy. When you're coming from a VW Vanagon or Bus, or an Econoline, etc., the Promaster standard roof is like a cathedral inside! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seven years ago we were just retired (age 55), totally clueless about "vanlife", and had zero experience camping. We bought a Nissan NV200 (53 inches high in the cargo area). We built it out and started camping.

After two seasons we paid $7000 to have a pop-top installed. It totally changed our camping life, and it still fit in our 80 inch high garage. Being able to stand up was a revelation - it took a couple of months to stop crouching every time we got in! We loved it and had many awesome adventures.

Now at 62 we just sold the Nissan and bought a 159" high top Promaster. We want camping to be FUN, and the high top is just a better solution for enjoying our campervan.

So if you are young & flexible (able to crawl across the floor), or if it absolutely must fit in a residential garage, a low top could be OK.

Or plan on getting a pop top for about $10k at today's prices.

Or get a high top!

BrianB
Absolutely agree on the pop top! Nothing better than getting the dang bed off the floor to make room for bicycles, kayaks, motorcycles, and other fun stuff!

·
Registered
19 Posts

DRF
Some crickets, but I'm here! If we had run into that one you found, we may not have had to order and wait. But the wait is almost over. :) Do you mind sharing the window sticker? Just curious... :)

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,203 Posts

DRF
Am away (not camping) for a family event but just happened to see this. As mentioned before - my preference is a low top 118, which is my daily-driver/pickup truck replacement that I occasionally use for travel and camping.

If I was going to build a dedicated camper or especially if I was going to live in it full-time I might go for a 136 but still not sold on a high top since a few height restrictions near me would be a pain, plus they don’t make one with the short wheelbase. This is just my preference and I don’t recommend it for anybody else as everybody’s wants and needs are different.

That said, this unicorn you found may be as close as you’re going to get any time soon.

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
336 Posts
Ford transit low roof is even lower than the Promaster 😲

·
Registered
2020 159 HT (yep a white van man)
295 Posts
99% for many things is awesome... and this will be learned well in vanning IMO.
However, I feel the research probably led you to you a high roof. This compromise will not be once... but once every few minutes... imo

Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,111 Posts
I believe there are reasons to have a low roof camper van. Maybe to get it in an underground or similar need.

However, buying a low roof when you really want a high roof just based upon availability is not a reason I would use to purchase.

I purchased my 2018 off the lot (did not have everything I wanted but it was available). If it was a low roof, for me I would not have considered it. I ordered a 2021 with all the options I wanted, but it will be longer than 6 months until I receive it. It is like that with lots of items since the pandemic.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts