Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They finally have one at a nearby dealer so I checked it out yesterday. There don't seem to be any full window models anywhere, and based on the web site it looks like they will only be available in long wheelbase. Given that, and the fact that you can get windows in the doors now, I priced out a medium length cargo with a driver side slider, diesel engine, and the kind of options you expect in a mid $30K vehicle (rear cam, cruise, power mirrors, etc.). Sadly it comes in only $4K less than a new Sprinter crew. And the Benz gives you a headliner, one row of rear seats, and rear heat and A/C options not available on PM. You'd need insulation and interior in the PM if you want to keep it comfortable in back, and rear seats if you wanted carry additional passengers. There is no information on what kind of interior you will get (if any) on the PM window vans. As I noted in the another thread, build quality of the body shell was also sup-par to me. I really wanted to like PM for the front wheel drive and low floor. But Sprinter offers better quality and content for only 10% more. Sad if you can't undercut Mercedes by at least 25% with a cheap, Dodge/Fiat imported from Mexico. With gas engine you can get it in the low 30s but it doesn't compare to the similarly priced, but better equipped Ford Club wagon. Seems like the only serious play they are making here is for the bottom end cargo market who don't want to pay for diesel.

Oh, and the brake light warning came on during the test drive and message center said to service the brake pads. Not confidence inspiring. Actual brakes were great though. Much stronger than my E150.

·
Registered
386 Posts
well thats not very inspiring to read but i'll go check one out for myself anyways before i decide. but thanks for the writeup.

·
Registered
100 Posts
the price difference between a Sprinter and Ram ProMaster is another reason why you seriously need to think about what you need and what works for you. While a slightly used Sprinter can be bought for a great price, there may be some advantages to owning a PM for some people.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can't wait for the Transit to show up, I feel Transit vs Promaster is a better comparo than houding on Sprinter this Sprinter that...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also wish the Transit was not a year away.
The PM/ Sprinter comparison is logical as they are the newest versions of vans available.
It is interesting as an Express van owner that GM has upgraded the engines in their pick ups, but not their vans. I would think it would be fairly straightforward to install the updated v6 & v8 to improve the fuel economy of these dinosaurs. Their new v6/6spd combination in a pickup is rated at 18/24 mpg while the old v6/4spd combo in their 2014 van is rated at 15/20mpg. The new powertrain would put them at about the same fuel ecomony as the PM gas engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Went to the dodge dealership today, 30 minutes away. We get there and they had several promasters. I asked about test driving a diesel and was told that they won't be out till next summer. I explained that on the dodge promaster website it does not say that there will be a delay in getting a diesel and the sales guy said that he hears this all the time and that he can't do anything about it. I then asked if I could check out one of the vans that they do have. I was told that they hadn't been prepped and that they don't have keys. He said that the promaster only comes with one key and that they are sent seperately. I was shocked that a dealership wouldn't want to move their product. I couldn't even sit in one! We left the dealership pissed off and determined to wait for the transit next year.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Went to the dodge dealership today, 30 minutes away. We get there and they had several promasters. I asked about test driving a diesel and was told that they won't be out till next summer. I explained that on the dodge promaster website it does not say that there will be a delay in getting a diesel and the sales guy said that he hears this all the time and that he can't do anything about it. I then asked if I could check out one of the vans that they do have. I was told that they hadn't been prepped and that they don't have keys. He said that the promaster only comes with one key and that they are sent seperately. I was shocked that a dealership wouldn't want to move their product. I couldn't even sit in one! We left the dealership pissed off and determined to wait for the transit next year.
Are you going to do the same to the Ford guys too, if they don't have the
newly arrived vans prepped for you ,then post bad reviews?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let's be honest here...
First of all you probably should have called the dealer ahead of time, and spoke with the fleet department. Odds are those promasters you saw were already sold to other businesses. These vehicles are so popular right now, that one our company was about to buy was sold in about 2 days after arriving at the dealer. We had to buy ours sight unseen, and wait for our fleet dealer to bring one in from another dealer. Also, about the whole diesel mishap...Chrysler has really raised their quality standards, and the diesel isn't on the lot because they are not going to sell you a POS that needs to be redesigned.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Wow, strong words about a diesel engine that has been used in Europe for years and on Mitsubishi Fuso trucks in the USA. If there is any problem with these units, I bet it will be fuel issues since diesel is cleaner in Europe than the USA.

There has been no diesel mishap, imo. Numerous web reviews have stated that the diesels will come in March 2014 thereabouts.

Also, about the whole diesel mishap...Chrysler has really raised their quality standards, and the diesel isn't on the lot because they are not going to sell you a POS that needs to be redesigned.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If they don't have the key how did they get them off the transport vehicle?
If they were already sold, what is the harm in having a potential customer sit in the vehicle & open the doors etc., they are in the business of selling vehicles after all.
I have been to dealers to look at various vehicles over the years, some of which were sold, but have never been told I couldn't at least sit in the vehicle. Sounds like a moron sales person. It's a cargo van, not a Rolls-Royce.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where are you at Jaymiller? The salesperson I spoke with already followed up hoping to make a sale. They have 6 more i the pipeline. I didn't even ask to drive it, she offered. And it's already discounted $1300 on the web site. I saw other dealers with discounts over $2000. Should be no problem to find one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have seen discounts on Autotrader of $4500.00 off MSRP for the PM. It may be wise to give it a couple of months if you can, I suspect the pricing will improve.
Last year when the 1500 pickup came out with the v6 8spd it was hard to find at first, now you can get them at $8500.00 off MSRP.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting there are ads for $4500 off. I checked Edmunds for the specific build I had in mind and invoice is only $2K under MSRP. They would have to be running factory incentives already.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just go to Autotrader, plug in the information for the PM, & you will see there is a dealer offering a $31,075 MSRP van for $26,575.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My issue, and the reason I posted to this forum is that it appears to me that if Chrysler wanted to roll this out the right way the dealers should have vans ready to sell as soon as the roll out is announced. Most dodge dealers in our area (Chicago) aren't carrying this vehicle so I needed to travel to even look at the van in the first place. The dodge website will allow you to build and price out the van and when done matched my buildout, including the Diesel engine, to this dealer and stated that there were 6 vans available. When we got to the dealership we told the salesperson that we were interested in the. An but received excuse after excuse why. The vans that they physically had on their lot were unavailable. After enquiring about the Diesel engine the sales guy started to argue with me about what we found on the website. Then we waited for almost 45 minutes for keys and were really disappointed when we had to leave without even being able to check out and drive a van with a gas engine. We were told that the diesel would not be available from dodge until late april or May. It is my humble opinion that this whole situation is a nightmare. Why would you roll out a vehicle, advertise it, set up. Website, and not have all options available? We even asked for a brochure and were told that they weren't available yet. Not saying that ford will be any better but at least the ford dealer is telling us that the new ford van will roll out with all engines and options available immediately and even said that their mechanics are attending training for the van this January.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let's face it, dealerships are businesses. They only make money when the can sell vehicles. I did ask about the vans that we saw in the back lot and were told that they weren't sold. I asked about checking them out and was told that we couldn't because they weren't prepped and that they didn't have keys for them. I felt misled and was mad that I wasted several hours only to be fed a line of BS. I have called around to a couple of other dodge dealers and one of them at least told me that they are having some issues getting the vans but promised to call me as soon as he has a diesel van matching my needs. I at least felt that this guy wasn't trying to feed me a line of crap to keep me interested. I feel that dodge has debuted this new van before they were ready.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts