Ram Promaster Forum banner

UltraGauge install in 2015 PM gas V6

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Taylor 
#1 ·
Yesterday I installed an Ultragauge on my promaster and no problems were encountered. I had a scangauge 2 on my Sprinter based Navion and it is a virtual necessity in dealing with the diesel v6 and temperamentally shifting transmission. This time I decided to try an Ultragauge as it is $70 versus about $150 and has a larger display area with better backlighting. Both connect to the OBDII diagnostic port and access similar information.

One need was a way to easily read MPH and RPM on a sunny day with sunglasses and no vehicle lights on (My DRL's are set to come on automatically but they do not activate headlights, taillights, or markers as the fog lights do). Apparently there is no way to have the gages lit without the other light systems on.

The other justification for the Ultragage is having a convenient chassis battery voltage reading (alternator output) and numerical engine coolant temperature. They claim availability of a total of 110 different gages but on the PM gas 68 are available. A number of them are simply metric versions and calculated trip readings. Others would be quite useful in diagnosing engine problems. I won't list every thing available but they all are available in the operator's manual link below. Unfortunately not included is discrete TPMS readings or transmission temp.

I purchased just the basic gage and made a simple metal mounting bracket with adhesive velcro to mount it on top of the steering column about 4" away from the gages. The only thing it partially obscures is the temperature gage. My initial screen setup is to have six gages displayed; MPH & RPM in large print at the top of the screen, with engine load, coolant temp, battery voltage, and manifold pressure in smaller print below. You can have up to eight gages per screen and eight different screens set up for easy selection while driving.

The manual mentions various possible installation problems, none of which were an issue in my installation on the PM gas v6. Bill

site link: http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

owner's manual: http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/support/UltraGauge_user_manuals.htm

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I have elm327 on both my iPad and iPhone. It does connect up fine via BT but it's not ready for prime time. Very unintuitive interface, difficult to set up and even open up each time you use it. A waste of money IMHO I use my Scan Gauge 2 it just stays plugged in and works without me doing anything. The elm is way overkill and far too difficult to use for any daily meaningful info I think.

I have the SG2 mounted with Velcro in the same position. It's much shorter and longer so it doesn't obstruct the gauges as much.

#5 ·
I have a ScanGauge on my daily driver Audi, love it. Especially since its a '99, and doesn't have any displayed info.

Have been thinking about getting the UltraGauge for the PM, mostly because I love the numbers, and it can be a good troubleshooting tool. I don't have it yet, but was thinking about mounting it to the left of the dash, somewhat on top of the top-left air vent.

#6 ·
Zyzzyx
I thought about other locations and the current mounting point can easily be changed. It doesn't actually obstruct the gages as much as the photo indicates - the fuel gage is completely visible. Temp gage is obstructed unless I move my head to the side and the numerical temp is a constant display. You can also set a warning alarm for most of the gages. The thing I liked about the current location is the protection the cowl offers and the limited amount the eye has to move from the normal road view. I'm interested in what mounting spot you come up with. Bill

#8 ·
I have been using a ScanGauge II for a long time. I love it. I had never heard of the UltraGauge, but i like what I read. it seems that it has some specific monitors for diesels. This is particularly interesting to me, as it has a monitor for the particulate filiter.. I am getting one.

NMHC Catalyst Non-Methane Hydrocarbon Convertin
g Catalyst. This monitor ensures the proper
Conversion of Hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxide

NOx/SCR After treatment Nitrogen Oxide / Selective Catalyst Reduction Catalyst.

This monitor ensures proper NOx conve
rsion. A NOx sensor measures
the NOx concentration downstream of the SCR

Boost Pressure Boost Pressure Control System monitoring.

Air Conditioning For legacy R12

Systems. Not commonly supported

Exhaust Gas Sensor O2

and/or NOx Sensors.

PM Filter Particulate Matter Filter Monitor

EGR/VVT Exhaust Gas Recirc

ulation system monito

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.