Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished driving 1800 miles from Florida to our new home in New Mexico, no real issues to speak of expect the mirror thing and ran low on DEF just before we got here.

Went out to move the van today and "SERVICE ENGINE" message, pulled the code with Torque and got P2872 "Drive Train"

One google search says it CLUTCH "A" STUCK ENGAGED

I searched on here and don't see anyone else with that issue.

Maybe the van can't handle this dry climate :)

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Not that, as AZ is dryer than wind blown dust. Can you reset it? Perhaps a dealer can advise you if that is a good idea. We have not heard of that one until now. You are a pioneer! Does the van drive and shift correctly?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that, as AZ is dryer than wind blown dust. Can you reset it? Perhaps a dealer can advise you if that is a good idea. We have not heard of that one until now. You are a pioneer! Does the van drive and shift correctly?
I was just moving it in the driveway this morning when I saw the code. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I never should have responded to this thread. On my way to AZ this week I was at Pueblo Lake State Park in CO (40º) and when I started up and put it in drive I got a CEL light, my first and guess what. You are not alone any longer! Yup my code reader said P2872! I tried a restart and no change so I deleted it knowing it was an unknowable code and it has been fine since! When I go in for my second free oil change I will have the dealer research this. BTW the clutch worked fine of course!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen so many CEL in the last few weeks I quit counting, Glow Plug, ECS.... Waiting to get some parts in at the dealer then take it in again.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Ouch! Keep us posted as your experience and FCA’s fix will help us out. This is new as so few code issues have been reported in the past year and a half. Can you let me know what your build date was as these CEL problems stopped about 2/2015. Mine is 6/15 and I've had 28,000 trouble free miles!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had the code 3 times,I clear it,,,,I can't tell if anything is wrong,feels/drives the same/shifts same,I posted this in diesel section

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I have seen so many CEL in the last few weeks I quit counting, Glow Plug, ECS.... Waiting to get some parts in at the dealer then take it in again.
Any progress on these? Just a Bump. Thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any progress on these? Just a Bump. Thanks.

Nope, still waiting on the dealer to call me back when they have the parts in. I guess I need to check in with them. Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: RDinNHandAZ

·
Registered
155 Posts
Had this when I started up this morning after doing 900 miles yesterday. It was a cold start in ~35 degree weather, not too cold. Cleared it and moved on, no problems so far today after 300 more miles.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
There are four of us. Same resolve for me and no reoccurrence yet. We all should record it and report it to our dealers or FCA. Personally I think it is due to some minor out-of-range sensor due to the temperature or altitude or both. Quest4Adv is having his in to the dealer I believe, so perhaps we will hear what this might be about really.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Altitude

There are four of us. Same resolve for me and no reoccurrence yet. We all should record it and report it to our dealers or FCA. Personally I think it is due to some minor out-of-range sensor due to the temperature or altitude or both. Quest4Adv is having his in to the dealer I believe, so perhaps we will hear what this might be about really.
I believe its altitude. I will go back and check my first CEL issue that is documented with FCA for the code #. The first time the light came on was at 300 miles on the odometer in Sedona. Not sure of the exact altitude, but somewhere around 6-7,000 ft. The closest dealership was in kingman Arizona and their computer read turbo slow to respond. So what did they do, replaced the turbo! That took 4 weeks to get the part! Fast forward 31,000 Awesome miles. During this period, the CEL light has come on twice, all at altitude above 6,000'. In December of 2015 the second situation occurred in Mammoth Mtn. on a snowboarding trip. Reported it to the dealer I take it to now (Jack Powell in Escondido Ca.) Great service for anyone that wants to know! Same read out, Turbo slow to respond. The light went out after driving home at lower altitudes. The third time accurd just recently. I was in Nicaragua surfing and the wife decided to take the van camping in the local mountains again the light came and went away at lower altitudes!
The dealer has put in all the updates including a so called fix for the altitude issue! Whats interesting is the engine runs perfectly all the time. It has to be thin air!
RD for your information my 118'' diesel was built 12/14 and bought June of 2015. Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
That is an “early” diesel but right at the end of the emissions issues that FCA was not getting under control. I appreciate that at higher altitudes the turbo may underperform (compressing thin air is harder to do) and so your code of “turbo slow to respond” makes sense. Changing a good turbo in your van probably did nothing to improve it. If this is what it is we should see others get this code and probably FCA will eventually modify the software to allow a slightly longer interval to get the turbo boost up. Then no mood light. It just doesn’t seem to be a failure and mine at 1800 feet has not repeated. You may be on to something.
You get thanks for helping. ++

·
Registered
155 Posts
The altitude idea is interesting.. my P2872 occurred at about 7500' along I80 in Wyoming. The strange thing is that I am regularly above that altitude around home (Eastern Sierra - including Mammoth Mountain!) and had not seen this code yet. I have a maintenance appointment today in Columbus, I will ask them about it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
what scanner are y'all using to retrieve these codes? and what do they cost?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use Torque Pro app on my phone with a bluetooth dongle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use the same as Quest, my bluetooth dongle is a Hikeren OBD2 with a power switch cost $12.79 last year. It only works with android but I use it for my dashboard readouts on my older nonsmoking Note 4 phone. Nice to have exhaust temperature so I can tell when my turbo has probably cooled down along with a speedo and tach that is easy to read.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mine hasn't done it for quite awhile now?Altitude,hmm,I live at 2200 ft below Tahoe & run up & down sierras all the time at high altitude ,hmm?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts