Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
First and foremost, is there any way to use the blue tooth to put the sound from my phone through the radio speakers without the system trying to download my phone contacts list?

There is absolutely no reason for the vehicle to have my contacts list since my Samsung Galaxy T815Y 9.7 inch International Tablet/Phone is fully capable of making calls. Besides, Sprint is the 4th rate carrier down here. Service and coverage are lousy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The phone is/should be the electronics physically making the call - the touch-screen and voice command front-end is to keep it legal in 'hands free' only States. The upload is not forever, with the contact list etc. being temporarily held in logic the driver has one less excuse when explaining to their employer about the traffic citations and/or accidents...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Samsung T815Y is HANDSFREE.. Hey Google,, Call ,, 911.. Google has 5 years of recognizing my voice and works great. So far I haven't gotten the voice recognition system in the uConnect to change the radio station in less than 3 tries.
Next, I already pay for phone service with my phone and it is on the nice reliable AT&T system, why would I want to pay for phone service through the uConnect on the unreliable Sprint system??

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
I'm missing something here. What makes you think you are paying for phone service when you connect your phone up to the uconnect via BT? If you just want to hear music or audio books on your phone or tablet you just choose that on the radio and it plays through BT.

If you have at&t phone service why would you be choosing Sprint from your tablet? BT allows you choose whichever device you want to use. Are you saying you have things on your tablet you want to listen to and use your phone for calls? If so, I think all you have to do is chose which one you want to use from the uconnect BT menu. If you don't want to use Sprint from your tablet can't you just shut the phone option off and then it won't dl the contacts list?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I specifically DO NOT want uConnect to EVER have my contacts list because I am NEVER going to place a call through uConnect. As I wrote, so far I can't get it to reliably change a radio station.

As to how the call gets placed,, it isn't clear to me that calls placed using uConnect are actually placed through my T815Y on AT&T. If that is what happens, then why is there a fee for wireless service if I activate uConnect?

I DO want to use BT to route all the sound from my T815Y to the vehicle speakers. I mean let's face it, the promaster is not one of the quietest vehicles on the road.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
Not sure what you mean about a fee to make calls from your phone thru uconnect. I use mine daily and I've never heard of any fee to use uconnect to place or receive calls thru your phone. I just choose the person I'm calling via the contacts list from the steering wheel controls and it just works.

As for voice connect, my suggestion is don't even bother. I've never been able to get it to recognize anything I say. I use BT to play music from my phone every day. No problem at all. When I recieve a call it just switches to phone mode and continues to play when I hang up.

Maybe you need the dealer to show you how it works?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Confusing issues.

Lets leave how the phone calls are routed out of this discussion. OK. I will make that a separate thread because it is a second issue I am looking for information on. I do not want to activate the uConnect and a month from now get a $34.99 bill from someone. $34.99 a month for the ability to read text and do navigation on a 5 inch monochrome screen that doesn't even face the driver when I have a 9.7 inch Super AMOLED screen on my T815Y mounted so I am looking straight at it?? Really?? What are the people at FCA smoking??

I want to know how to route ALL the audio from my phone, including google navigator and phone calls and the incoming text reader app through the BlueTooth to the vehicle speakers without the uConnect downloading my contacts list.

For me this is a personal privacy issue since it appears that anyone with access to the vehicle could simply pair their phone to it and download my contact list. There does NOT seem to be anyway for me to set up a security password or anything. It also looks like FCA would also always have direct access to my contact list.

So far, every time I have connected the phone to the vehicle via Bluetooth, it simply, in my opinion "STEALS" my contact list. Then I have to do a factory reset on uConnect to erase the contact list.

I NEVER want it to have my contacts because I am never going to use the uConnect to make any calls or do any navigation or any texting for me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just choose the person I'm calling via the contacts list from the steering wheel controls and it just works.
Ugh,, I cannot even imagine trying to drive and scroll through the contacts looking at a 5 inch monochrome screen that doesn't even face me straight on so I can see it clearly.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ive got a suggestion..... Back up your contact list to your micro-sd card.... (contacts/menu/settings/contacs/import-export contacts/export to SD card)
Then pull the card.. Now delete your contact list on your phone/tab.
Now, pair the device to uconnect and try to BT your music to play..
You may have to put a few songs onto the device storage IF all your music is on the removed micro sd.
When you get the songs to play..., then disconnect your Phablet, insert your memory card back in, then "import" your contact list back to the device..
And go from there.. See if the Uconnect AGAIN asks you to load up a contact list.
Does the uconnect "ask" you to load contacts?? or does it just "force" them onto it's memory??

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm fortunate to only be familiar with the Uconnect 5.0 that is a mere docking station, a quote from the Promaster User Manual --- "The Uconnect® Phone requires a mobile phone equipped with the Bluetooth® HandsFree Profile, Version 1.0 or higher" ( http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/ ) & also this monochrome display 5.0 does not do satellite radio or GPS navigation.

Since my phone is small enough to be impossible to find when needed, having my trusty Uconnect intercept Bluetooth call is priceless. However, having to pull over to silence the roar of the commercial vans cargo can so the conversation is intelligible....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't want to play music. I have a radio and CD player for that.

I said that it "stole" them. That meant that it simply immediately starts the download as soon as I pair the phone to the vehicle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you get the songs to play..., then disconnect your Phablet, insert your memory card back in, then "import" your contact list back to the device..
And go from there.. See if the Uconnect AGAIN asks you to load up a contact list.
Does the uconnect "ask" you to load contacts?? or does it just "force" them onto it's memory??
I get in and out of my van 20+ times a day. I use the T815Y as my credit card machine with Square, I send and receive many texts each day, and I have a google voice number assigned to the device as my business number and I get 10+ business calls and a couple dozen texts each day. Removing the contacts list would make it effectively useless since it would no longer read out the name of the caller or the text sender. This would make it impossible for me to know if the call was business or personal so i would know how to greet the caller.

I doesn't ask, IT TAKES..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Cut Right,

Here are a few things about the Uconnect system:

1. It is pretty lousy but it will not cost you anything to use the built bluetooth to make phone calls. No bluetooth system on the market makes you pay for this. With more and more states regulating use of wireless phones to only be used hands free, car companies offer this as a safety measure. The only cost the Uconnect has attached is if you have XM radio.

2. If you are worried about your contacts being "stolen" through the Uconnect system I think you should be more worried about someone doing that through your bluetooth connection when walking through wal-mart or another crowded area. Also, if you use Google they already have all your info. They know more about you than you probably do. Plus, your Uconnect could only be remotely accessed by a "hacker" if you have GPS, which if you did the most recent update that security hole was patched.

3. If you aren't getting music to play through the bluetooth on your Uconnect, it could be your phone settings. Android has a way to allow a device to be used solely as a phone or media device. I skimmed this article but it shows the dialog box you will need to get to on your Android device: http://www.cnet.com/news/car-techs-guide-to-using-your-android-phone-in-the-car/

Hopefully this helps. I have to say, the best feature of the Uconnect is the hands-free calling, I say this as the microphone is very clear and the call volume is good. My new Pioneer unit is good but I have some people complain about noise issues. I guess I am lazy but I refuse to hold a phone to my ear, I only use bluetooth headsets and hands free units now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have to say that the best feature of Google is hands free calling ( Hey Google, call, 911) and texting ( Hey Google, text , 911). Part of why Google is so good at it is that Google "learns" to recognize my, MY voice, not some generic voice and when I have a good wireless connection, it has now, after 5+ years of MY voice, nearly 100% correct transcription and actions.
The uConnect thing will never get any better than it is and I can't get it to change the radio station by voice in less than 3 tries. That to me is more distracting than reaching over and tapping the station preset.

I don't care if I EVER get music to go from my phone to the vehicle speakers via blue tooth. I didn't buy my phone to be a music player. I didn't buy the truck so I could turn my phone into a huge boom box. That isn't what I want and wasn't what I asked about. I want all the OTHER sound to go from my phone to the vehicle speakers via the blue tooth so my phone and my truck can do a better job of helping me do business.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I get in and out of my van 20+ times a day. I use the T815Y as my credit card machine with Square, I send and receive many texts each day, and I have a google voice number assigned to the device as my business number and I get 10+ business calls and a couple dozen texts each day. Removing the contacts list would make it effectively useless since it would no longer read out the name of the caller or the text sender. This would make it impossible for me to know if the call was business or personal so i would know how to greet the caller.

I doesn't ask, IT TAKES..
I did not say for you to delete your contact list and leave it deleted. I said to export your contacts list back to the device after you have already hooked it up. Does the U Connect want to download your contacts list every single time that you hook it up? Or is that only a one time download to the you connect from your tablet? What I'm trying to say is hook up your tablet without a contact list, let the UConnect do its thing, then export your contact list back to the device and then you will have it. Hey, I also got a question about all sharpening? You do that out of your van? That sounds like something I would like to get into.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What other sounds are there? If you want alerts and notifications to go to the stereo you might be able to make that work.

And by hands free calling I am not referring to the built in voice commands, that is something totally different. Most voice command systems do distract more than they help, especially most built in vehicle ones.

I have to say that I am a bit perplexed on the overall achievement you are looking for. Correct me if I am wrong:

1. You dont want to use your Uconnect's bluetooth to send any incoming call through?
2. You do want your Uconnect to alert you of incoming calls, texts, notifications and alerts?
3. You dont want to use the Uconnect to send music or media through it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The uConnect hate gets stronger

What other sounds are there? If you want alerts and notifications to go to the stereo you might be able to make that work.

And by hands free calling I am not referring to the built in voice commands, that is something totally different. Most voice command systems do distract more than they help, especially most built in vehicle ones.

I have to say that I am a bit perplexed on the overall achievement you are looking for. Correct me if I am wrong:

1. You dont want to use your Uconnect's bluetooth to send any incoming call through?
2. You do want your Uconnect to alert you of incoming calls, texts, notifications and alerts?
3. You dont want to use the Uconnect to send music or media through it?
Ideally I want ALL audio from the phone to go to the vehicle speakers. I just don't plan to ever use my phone to turn the van into a big boom box.

My phone has 6 different audio types. PHONE, MEDIA (the music and maybe sound from videos I don't plan to use but I keep getting instructions on how to set up), RINGER, ALERTS, SYSTEM, ALARM.

My focus is on getting the Google Navigator ( I think that is a SYSTEM) sound through the vehicle speaker. I want the phone voice output to go through the vehicle speakers. I have an APP on my phone that reads incoming text messages out loud (Probably uses MEDIA) and I want that sound to go to the vehicle speakers. The obvious way would be via Blue tooth.

But, two hours trying every setting in the phone and the vehicle and not a peep out of the vehicle speakers other than the radio/cd player.

I DON'T want to have to "ACTIVATE/ACCEPT" the uConnect system since that is evidently what would eventually cause me to start getting a bill from someone for the wireless services I don't plan to use anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
How many times do we have to tell you there are NO charges associated with using the uConnect from FCA or any other third party? If you have/use Sirius you have to pay them a monthly charge but that has nothing to do with the uConnect at all. Just what gives you the impression you have to pay a monthly charge to use uConnect? I'm not sure you understand what uConnect is or how to use it.

I have an iPhone 6+ and all the voice directions from both iMaps or Google Maps on it play thru the uConnect via BT without any problem but those are the only apps that do that and when they do do it the uConnect switches to phone mode for the sound from whatever I'm listening to either thru the radio, CD player, phone, memory stick and I have to switch the screen back manually although the audio resumes automatically. What you are trying to achieve may not be possible (reading text messages). Text messages (or any other kinds of messages, email) never show up on my uConnect when my phone is connected. It just doesn't work that way. I think your problem is with Google Navigator butI have no idea what that is so I can't comment on it. Perhaps Google Navigator requires some sort of payment to work with the uConnect - I have no idea about that.

BTW, even though it's off the subject, whenever I do play mp3's from my iPhone or a USB memory stick the album art is displayed on the uConnect screen (in full color).

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,702 Posts
KOV,

I consider myself a third party, and would be happy to accept a monthly check from anyone who want to send one my way!>:D

With my Samsung, once I link the audio with Bluetooth, anything that would come out the speakers on the phone also come out of the van's speakers... as you say, not just phone hands-free stuff. I can't remember where the choice is made (phone or van), but as you say, there is phone audio (speakerphone) and media audio (everything else) - two separate audio feeds.

Ed

1 - 20 of 24 Posts