Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 UConnect qualifies for the software update we are supposed to do ourselves through the USB port. Has anybody done this yet?

They say to use Safari on a Mac, but my Mac uses Maverick. I'm not getting good vibes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just read that dealers will do the software update free. I am on my third MacBook and they all came with Safari loaded as the default.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My 2014 UConnect qualifies for the software update we are supposed to do ourselves through the USB port. Has anybody done this yet?

They say to use Safari on a Mac, but my Mac uses Maverick. I'm not getting good vibes.
Maverick is your "operating system". Safari is your web browser. It is on all macs as far as I know. It should be the program you're using right now to surf the internet, unless you've installed another browser?

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
MS N what is this software update you speak of? Where do you get it from?

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
Thanks! Good find, I hope?

Well, as to be expected nothing is ever easy. First I couldn't even get to the update as it kept telling me my VIN was not valid. Turns out I was reading reading the VIN from my insurance policy and it had two errors in it! Once I put the correct VIN in I wasn't able to download it with the Akamai NetSession with the latest version of Safari/Yosemite but I was able to download it directly instead. You have to save it to an empty 4 gig thumb drive that's formatted as FAT 32 (NOT Mac OS Extended) and then plug the thumb drive into the USA port on the uConnect.

Make sure you save and print out the Software Update Instructions before you try to do the update. I'm already to do it but I need another cuppa joe first ;)!

Lots of luck ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I read the article. Do all of our u connect vans have a cell network connection? Or only the ones with nav? They weren't very clear about it, but the hacking issue could be a non issue for most of us.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am using a Windows 10 PC:
File location: http://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/

I downloaded the software (.exe file), extracted it to a USB drive and followed the online instructions. The file was 299Mb, download times will vary depending on your internet speed. I turned the key to RUN and inserted the USB drive. It detected the software after 2 tries of inserting and reinserting the jump drive, I pressed start and in about 2 minutes is says the software has been copied and the update will not begin. Please wait 30 minutes!

Now keep in mind it is 108 degrees Fahrenheit out, so it is extremely hot in the van with it only in the run position. I have a sunscreen in it but that only helps so much. I left the key in the run position and went inside to wait it out. I would cook if I stayed in the van. I went back out and checked on it after 5 minutes... about 40% complete according to the progress bar. About 5 minutes more, I checked again and the screen showed it was complete. It said to remove the USB and the system would reboot in 3 minutes. It rebooted immediately when I removed the USB. After about 30 seconds, the radio came back on and all was well.

The update was successful and I am now safely back in the 73 degree house!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I tried downloading the software on my Windows 8.1 PC with Internet Explorer 11.

I typed in my VIN and got conformation that an update was available. After going through the installation tutorial it said the my browser was incompatible with their download software but there was a link available to download the file directly.

I tried to clicked on the links for the instructions and download but was denied access until I made the web site a trusted site. So depending on your security settings you may have to do the same to access the download sites.

I printed the instructions and ran the exe file which copied the update to my flash drive.

I inserted the flash drive in the USB port next to the ignition key and the radio displayed the current version as 4 something and the new version would be 6 something. I was concerned about 30 minutes in the heat as well, but I had the windows open and it took closer to 20 minutes.

The instructions I printed said to remove the flash drive, wait until the radio reset, turn the key off, open the drivers door, close it, wait 60 seconds and the turn the key on and off, open and close the door again and wait another 60 seconds to be sure the reset worked.

I wasn't sure whether I should have gotten out and ran around the van between opening and closing the door or not.;)

Now I just have to wait and see if the quirks with the radio coming on at random and weird behavior of the backup camera have been corrected.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,491 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
This has turned out to be just a PITA! Got it all installed after a lot of nonsense and everything seems to work I had to delete the uConnect from my iPhone before it would connect but after going that and re-pairing it everything works fine.

Also, you lose all your radio presets but not your Nav history! Very strange.

·
Registered
765 Posts
The PR release notes one particular variety of an exploit demonstrated a vulnerability on (not exclusive) the 8.4" touchscreen models - the root/hook/hole used probably was platform wide if updates were available for even my little black & white square-wheeled non-satellite radio unit...

One small blessing is they didn't use the opportunity to insert GPS aware advertising or change the home page... or did they :)

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
I did notice a new button on the GPS that shuts off the audio (I think).

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
Man oh man! I wish mine had come with GPS. I wonder how off the chart expensive it would be to upgrade?

-t
Consider yourself lucky. The uConnect GPS sucks it's hard to use, hard to view and way overpriced. I use my iPhone GPS more often whin I need GPS in the van. The only problem with using you phones GPS is it requires data and if you are traveling in Canada or Mexico data or cell phones don't usually work without spending big bucks on roaming charges.

I have noticed that a few US companies are beginning to advertise international data and cell service for Canada and Mexico finally tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What's new with the update. ? I successfully installed the update hoping to see rear speaker icon in the fade/ section. But nothing. Aside from a security patch, what else is there? I have the 5.0 RA. No nav.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This patch/update doesnt fix the rear speaker fade!? WTF, if they are going to go through all this trouble to make a security fix why not easily load that into the update as well.

I am sitting here waiting for mine to update, inside where it isnt Sahara hot. I had some initial issues getting mine to even start the update. It says to put your vehicle in run then insert the USB drive, mine didnt operate this way. I had to put the stick in, turn the ignition to on then turn it back off and remove the key.

Mine finally got done updating...the new features are amazing, the no sound out of my speakers option is fantastic. Cant wait to go on my week long road trip with this new feature. Guess I messed mine up.

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
Mine ultimately worked ok but I see no real reason to do it either!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts