Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has always bugged me that the Uconnect display is so much brighter than the instrument cluster lights. The dash light dimmer buttons never seemed to fix the problem as they could be set to as low as possible and the screen still seemed too bright for night driving. If I set the dimmer as low as possible for night driving, the next time I wanted to drive it during the day I had to re-adjust it to max the next day. The display can be set to the "off" position, but I still like seeing what the radio is set to.

I was playing with my Uconnect tonight while waiting for my daughter to get done with cheer practice. I had looked at the menus before to try to sort out this problem. Under the display menu, the display mode setting was set to "auto" which I thought meant automatic. I never gave that a second thought. I did, after all, want them to dim automatically. So I started playing around and hit the setting for day mode to see what would happen. When I backed out one menu level, a new heading called "brightness" had popped up in the display menu. This was not otherwise visible when set to the "auto" mode. I went into this newly found brightness setting and found two settings. One for brightness with headlights on and one for brightness with headlights off. These settings can only be adjusted when the headlights are actually set to that indicated position. Using these settings, you can set the screen brightness independently of the instrument cluster lights and they still dim automatically according to the headlight switch position. Very nice to have the screen dimmed for night driving and not have to manually readjust it the next day to see the screen again. It's only taken me four months of driving this thing to figure this out. So maybe i'm just a slow learner and the rest of you knew this already. But if you didn't, give it a try. Night driving is so much more enjoyable without a full moon shining in your face.

Reactions: mikesee

·
Registered
63 Posts
It has always bugged me that the Uconnect display is so much brighter than the instrument cluster lights. The dash light dimmer buttons never seemed to fix the problem as they could be set to as low as possible and the screen still seemed too bright for night driving. If I set the dimmer as low as possible for night driving, the next time I wanted to drive it during the day I had to re-adjust it to max the next day. The display can be set to the "off" position, but I still like seeing what the radio is set to.

I was playing with my Uconnect tonight while waiting for my daughter to get done with cheer practice. I had looked at the menus before to try to sort out this problem. Under the display menu, the display mode setting was set to "auto" which I thought meant automatic. I never gave that a second thought. I did, after all, want them to dim automatically. So I started playing around and hit the setting for day mode to see what would happen. When I backed out one menu level, a new heading called "brightness" had popped up in the display menu. This was not otherwise visible when set to the "auto" mode. I went into this newly found brightness setting and found two settings. One for brightness with headlights on and one for brightness with headlights off. These settings can only be adjusted when the headlights are actually set to that indicated position. Using these settings, you can set the screen brightness independently of the instrument cluster lights and they still dim automatically according to the headlight switch position. Very nice to have the screen dimmed for night driving and not have to manually readjust it the next day to see the screen again. It's only taken me four months of driving this thing to figure this out. So maybe i'm just a slow learner and the rest of you knew this already. But if you didn't, give it a try. Night driving is so much more enjoyable without a full moon shining in your face.
Nice find Pete, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
For my next trick, I'd like to figure out why, when the time and date feature is set to automatic, it sets itself to a time seven hours ahead of the central time zone. Is that the time in the motherland or what?:D

·
Registered
887 Posts
Automatic time doesn't work for EST either. I wish they'd let Chrysler program everything the American way.

I want my speedometer and tachometer brighter, and MPG display dimmer. I guess I should try harder with these new tips to see what I can come up with.

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
Good find Pete!

I'd love to see the speedo as a digital output the analog one is totally useless. I use my ScanGage as a speedo!

·
Registered
604 Posts
For my next trick, I'd like to figure out why, when the time and date feature is set to automatic, it sets itself to a time seven hours ahead of the central time zone. Is that the time in the motherland or what?:D
Yep...

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) otherwise known as Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) , adjusted for Daylight savings time, in your area is 7 hours different

Italy is CET – Central European Time / European Central Time (Standard Time) or UTC+1 I,m assuming that's where FCA Head(up their butt)quarters is?

Central Time Zone is UTC -6 (not adjusted for Daylight Savings Time)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Any notion what the "Auto" setting automates?
Nope, the names of these settings are absolutely bizarre. Doesn't make much sense that the other two settings are named "day" and "night" either. And then add on to it the fact that the "day" and "night" settings seem to be a whole lot more automatic than the "auto" setting. FCA must have a real bunch of dynamos in the tech engineering dept.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Totally excellent tip. Thanks! Youd think theyd document this kind of thing. Its not like it costs a single nickel more to put it in the manual, and its clearly stupid to engineer the feature but not tell anyone about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts