Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've had the Promaster a few weeks, :) I'm noticing some typical MP3 features seem to be not there. Wondering if anyone has solutions or ideas about:

- no way to play from album to album. On most MP3 players, when you are playing an album and it ends, the player moves on to the next album/artist and plays that. ON the UC5, the player won't move on, it keeps playing the same album over and over. :(

- no fast forward or rewind. If you're listening to an audiobook, and turn down the volume or miss a part, there's no way to rewind back (or fast forward) a few minutes, is there? :(

- "incorrect file format" message. Sometime when I hit Browse, and then albums, it lists correctly but when I select an album it says "incorrect file format". At the point, I have to remove the USB and re-insert. This happens on the same files and albums/artists that play fine when selected by folder. :(

Your thoughts?

Ed

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Wow, you made me discover that I can connect my mp3 reader (Sony Walkman) directly to the USB instead of the AUX input that I was using.

Will experiment more, but I didn't see any fast forward or rewind, but it's a feature I don't have on my Walkman, so I am not sure if the UC 5.0 is to blame. Same when a CD ends, my Walkman just stops and I have to pick another album. Maybe a playlist would be a way to bypass the problem.

But I did notice that there are reading errors from time to time, I get a "empty"message and sometimes not, and that's on the same folder! It doesn't surprise me that much, it seams that there are a few software glitches on the PM.

Thanks proeddie for making me discover that feature!

·
Registered
424 Posts
You're ahead of me. I can't get it to recognize a USB stick filled with music files at all.

Each album is in its own folder and each track is its own file, MP3 format. Uconnect shows absolutely no indication whatsoever of even the existence of the USB stick in the socket.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're ahead of me. I can't get it to recognize a USB stick filled with music files at all.

Each album is in its own folder and each track is its own file, MP3 format. Uconnect shows absolutely no indication whatsoever of even the existence of the USB stick in the socket.
If you have tried formatting in Fat32 as KOV suggests and it still doesn't work, PM me your address and I'll mail you a small USB stick (that works for me) for you to try.

Ed

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have the U Connect 3, cheap radio, and it would not recognize my mp3s on the USB stick. Then I formatted the USB in fat 32, then put my music back on there, and now everything works great.

Also. .mine does NOT have the round 'aux' plug. .otherwise, id use the phones music player like I would prefer.
Good luck

·
Registered
424 Posts
The stick is already formatted as FAT32, I knew about that issue. Still doesn't work. For a recent long trip, I loaded everything onto my Blackberry and streamed it via bluetooth ... from all the little complaints I hear about how the system handles a USB stick, it's probably better like that anyhow.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brian,

I prefer to use a USB stick. No battery used and no storage used on phone.

Offer stands. Just an envelope and a stamp to get it to you, another envelope and stamp to get it back.

Let me know,
Ed

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Wow, proeddie, I just tried the USB stick, that's even better!

Formatted the stick using Fat32 format, copied folders from the directory created by Media Go (Sony's freeware) and it worked. I even have the picture from the cd jacket on the screen!

Too bad Chrysler made it so hard to access the USB socket, I just can't imagine myself trying to plug the key while driving. :(

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was going to suggest that you were using the "charge only" USB port by the cup holder, but it seems you got that right.

You can, in fact, fast forward and rewind by holding the track forward/backward toggle down, either on the wheel or on the screen. It takes a second, but then it starts scrubbing slowly and eventually speeds up so you can scrub through an hour of audio in maybe 30 seconds. That's on the UC5.0, but I assume other systems probably do that as well. Works over USB or bluetooth.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K-O-T,

GuyT has the right USB port, but BrianP needs to make sure he is using the USB port near the key, not the one near the cupholder. Good thought!

I'm going to go out and try the forward/rewind you desribe now.... never tried that! It's probably in the manual, right? ..."manual, we don't need no stinkin' manual!"

Ed

·
Registered
974 Posts
When I used to repair electronics we'd just write "Repaired: RTFM" on the service order. Read The F'n Manual.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
So, I went to Future Shop today and bought a 64G USB to put all the music I'll ever own. $30, unbelievable, considering 1 Meg of memory was $1,000 in 1985.

Tried to format in Fat32, but Windows 8 wouldn't let me, offering only extFat, that supports devices greater than 60Giga bytes. My DVD player wouldn't recognize extFat, so I suspect it won't work with my PM's UConnect.

But there is a work around, I downloaded Fat32 tool from this (reliable) site:

http://www.verbatim.com/index/search.php?words=fat32+tool

Works good, just lost 4 Gigs of data, but it's not a big issue.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have the Uconnect RH3 ( base radio, no screen). I formatted a 64gb stick to Fat32.
Having the following issues:

The radio plays any music I purchased on iTunes (mp4a format) without any problems.

Music from CD's I burned onto iTunes (mp4a format) aren't recognized by the radio. It ends up I have to convert them to mp3 to get them to play.

From one day to the next the radio will sometimes play some of the music and others it won't. Not sure what is going on with it.

I think Ram dropped the ball on this radio by not putting a simple aux. jack on it.

But I think I'm going to do a bit of searching and just put in another deck. Something with Bluetooth for phone and iPhone compatibility. And install rear speakers to go with it while I'm at it. Metra makes a install/trim ring kit for single or double DIN radios for PM's.

Anybody happen to have the wiring diagram for the Uconnect RH3 radio? Thinking about getting that manual that's for sale from Mopar for the PM. But again Ram dropped the ball by not making it work with a Mac... I'd only be able to look at it at work...

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have the Uconnect RH3 ( base radio, no screen). I formatted a 64gb stick to Fat32.
Having the following issues:

The radio plays any music I purchased on iTunes (mp4a format) without any problems.

Music from CD's I burned onto iTunes (mp4a format) aren't recognized by the radio. It ends up I have to convert them to mp3 to get them to play.

From one day to the next the radio will sometimes play some of the music and others it won't. Not sure what is going on with it.

I think Ram dropped the ball on this radio by not putting a simple aux. jack on it.

But I think I'm going to do a bit of searching and just put in another deck. Something with Bluetooth for phone and iPhone compatibility. And install rear speakers to go with it while I'm at it. Metra makes a install/trim ring kit for single or double DIN radios for PM's.

Anybody happen to have the wiring diagram for the Uconnect RH3 radio? Thinking about getting that manual that's for sale from Mopar for the PM. But again Ram dropped the ball by not making it work with a Mac... I'd only be able to look at it at work...
Yeah.. the cheap radio sucksbfor doing stuff other than AM/ FM....
You may want to try a smaller gig USB stick..
Or get the Hifh speed ones..
BUT... I too want to change decks....
So keep us updated with the din kit part numbers that work with our dash.
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts