Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Promaster City with the UConnect 5.0 radio/backup camera and NO NAV. I am looking at upgrading to larger screen (The city has small screen).
The local radio folks (Car Toys) is looking at all the adapters etc it takes but they don't really have any idea what functions will be lost, if backup camera has to be replaced etc.
Some of the control functions of the car are done through UConnect, the camera controls, controlling auto on off of door locks, fuel mileage etc.

Are those things lost or compatible with an upgraded radio by Alpine, Pioneer etc?

UConnect folks are SUPER helpful on the phone, but not likely to help or encourage you to switch away from their UConnect system.

So where do you get good UConnect adviceon upgrading?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Forget out of date Nav. Use you phone nav. Always current navigation for free.

I'd go for a radio with Apple Car Play or Google's Car software before I'd accept UConnect's attempt at nav

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forget out of date Nav. Use you phone nav. Always current navigation for free.

I'd go for a radio with Apple Car Play or Google's Car software before I'd accept UConnect's attempt at nav
I am looking at Apple Car Play in the Pioneer or other. Will cost about
$1300 with the adapters. Base unit is only $750 but installation and likely new camera etc.

I would just use my iPhone 6 plus for Nav, but the interface on Uconnect seems clunky and radio BAD! so might as well just get a nice all encompassing dash unit.

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
I agree about the interface Ed, but my radio is surprisingly powerful! I probably like that part of it the most. FM, never even tried the AM:laugh:

I would go for the Apple Play in a second if I didn't already have the u connect!

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
All the radio talk makes my head hurt! I opted for the basic radio because we will use our ipad or my iPhone for nav. I already do as both are so much better than the GPS's that we have I have abandoned them. The local radio in most of America is Clearchannel, or extreme politics or someone else's religion, so we listen to books, podcasts, music from our library, and our home NPR station over the internet through cell. There is no way I am sending off money each month for satellite radio when the van may sit for long periods between adventures.

I hope the radio can be the amplifier so I can hear this but I don't expect much more. I expect to get flamed for saying it but the inside of a van is not a concert hall so unless I can't understand the presenter/singer etc. I'll go with the supplied speakers or upgrade with similar higher quality ones. Cost for all this $0 as I have the stuff already.

Reactions: Harberneiley

·
Registered
279 Posts
Is there any apple car play unit that can replace the uconnect and will still retain all the uconnect features ?

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
All the radio talk makes my head hurt! I opted for the basic radio because we will use our ipad or my iPhone for nav. I already do as both are so much better than the GPS's that we have I have abandoned them. The local radio in most of America is Clearchannel, or extreme politics or someone else's religion, so we listen to books, podcasts, music from our library, and our home NPR station over the internet through cell. There is no way I am sending off money each month for satellite radio when the van may sit for long periods between adventures.

I hope the radio can be the amplifier so I can hear this but I don't expect much more. I expect to get flamed for saying it but the inside of a van is not a concert hall so unless I can't understand the presenter/singer etc. I'll go with the supplied speakers or upgrade with similar higher quality ones. Cost for all this $0 as I have the stuff already.

Whatdyasay???

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there any apple car play unit that can replace the uconnect and will still retain all the uconnect features ?
That is what I am hoping. The radio stores cannot guarantee which functions work till they try. Kind of risky till someone else tries.

You go first.;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
When my one free year of Sirius expires, I'll probably install something with Apple Car Play. I hope by then, we'll know how to make the backup camera work with aftermarket radios.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For those who might travel away from the main routes at times, don't expect full (or even any) decent internet connection for all of those phone base Map systems. I have been many places, even in metro areas with crap cell service. This is with major providers. Having an independent GPS device, even the low level TomTom that is installed in Uconnect will get you out of trouble most of the time. When I hit the road for a long trip I always take my Garmin. It is pocket size but useful!

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
This is not my experience. My iPhone 5s has real gps and though the cell service makes it faster it does find its position fine. I use topo maps in the far wilderness of the sonoran desert and the phone does better than my garmin. However for roads in remote areas you need to download a map of which many are available on the app store as you won't be getting the map info from wifi or cell.

·
Registered
167 Posts
True, iPhones and some other smartphones have gotten better with the GPS function, but I still wouldn't depend on them in all situations.
( I am still a bit PO'ed that traffic functions just will not work on the built in UConnect system, even with Sirus.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
We are going down tomorrow to order our 2017 High Top extended promaster and am trying to decide what to order with the van and what to leave for after market and what is compatible . We are on Vancouver Island . Want the backup for sure and sirius radio ,not sure what exactly Apple play is . About to google lol

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
Order the radio delete and then buy a good head end unit with BT, video in, USB in and just get the Sirius module that all decent heads come with. A stand alone GPS or Waze (or both)on your phone is a far better GPS option the the crap one in the uC5.
Unless you have an iPhone or iPad Apple play isn't needed.

You can get all the help later on when the van comes in to help you do the install and in the meantime you can start researching what's out there and how it fits your need and wallet.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
We are going down tomorrow to order our 2017 High Top extended promaster and am trying to decide what to order with the van and what to leave for after market and what is compatible . We are on Vancouver Island . Want the backup for sure and sirius radio ,not sure what exactly Apple play is . About to google lol
I did not want the $$$ radio so no backup camera. I did this:
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=342249&postcount=336
I am happy about the decision.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well we went down island today and put in our order for 2017 . We asked for the radio delete pkg but weren't sure whether we should have added the Radio prep option . Our sales rep said you couldn't get that when you did radio delete but he is going to check with whom ever tomorrow about that as I thought maybe we needed the wiring added already ?. we didn't order the back up camera either so hoping it won't be hard to add after market isf wiring isn't there already . Very excited to get this order over with so we can start waiting for delivery :) Thanks again for all your input , Brenda

1 - 18 of 18 Posts