Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason to use higher octane gas in these?

I've been buying non-ethanol high octane gas and wonder if it's worth the extra dollars.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
887 Posts
The recommended octane in a major brand name (BP, Exxon, Chevron, etc) is the best thing for engine performance.

The reason is, most of the major brands meet additive requirements to prevent engine deposits that rob performance. I linked to the industry article on this a few months ago.

Cheap-o brands are missing these additives.

My personal experience, before learning this, was my trucks would eventually need higher octane gas to avoid engine knock. It usually started at 30,000 miles or later. It got worse with more mileage. At the time, I always bought cheap gas.

After reading about the issue and why it was happening, i never bought cheap gas again and never had engine knock again. I also was able to go back to regular octane. I have lived by this rule for the past 15 years and never experienced engine knock in any vehicle since, all using 87 octane.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

So it sounds like those commercials from Chevron talking about all their additives are not just advertising BS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Biodiesel

I know the diesels aren't here yet but I live in the Midwest and biodiesel is a problem. Minnesota has 10-20% bio and Illinois has 5-20% bio. It is mandated so you cannot buy non bio in either state. The PM diesel is B7 bio compatible. Will they sell the PM diesel in the Midwest and if so, what are owners suppose to do about fuel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your engine isn't rated to run B20 Biodiesel you could hurt it. The Diesel PM is rated B7 for bio. A lot of the new clean burn diesels can't run over B5 bio without damage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any reason to use higher octane gas in these?
I've measured Oregon vs California gas through the years (just posted in a different thread). What I've found is OR gas gives me consistently better MPG (at any octane) than CA due to (I believe) the ethanol content. In OR, I consistently use 87 in the PM with no problems. When I cross the border into OR then I tend to use 1/2-1 tank of ethanol-free in Ashland... I think I'm just being superstitious and want to cleanse the CA spirits from my engine. ;)

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,377 Posts
Buy your fuel from one of these companies they have the higher level add packs for all octane levels, but all gasoline in the US most meet gov standards for add packs to keep your engine clean so any gas will have protection. I use what the manual says for my vehicles never a problem.

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
410 Posts
In California I consistently used the cheapest gas available and NEVER took my cars to the dealer for any work other than flat out warranty. My old 96 Suburban passed 240,000 miles a couple of months ago and ran just about like it did when new. My 2000 F150 has right about 200,000 and runs just fine also. Both grew up running regular gas that may or may not have had up to 10% Californian ethanol and also MTBE back in the day.
I don't believe that the less expensive fuels are detrimental to the life of your engine.
I run the regular blend of whatever is cheap and on my way in my Promaster and run Non-ethanol in my generators and dirt bikes when available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts