Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason to use higher octane gas in these?

I've been buying non-ethanol high octane gas and wonder if it's worth the extra dollars.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
886 Posts
The recommended octane in a major brand name (BP, Exxon, Chevron, etc) is the best thing for engine performance.

The reason is, most of the major brands meet additive requirements to prevent engine deposits that rob performance. I linked to the industry article on this a few months ago.

Cheap-o brands are missing these additives.

My personal experience, before learning this, was my trucks would eventually need higher octane gas to avoid engine knock. It usually started at 30,000 miles or later. It got worse with more mileage. At the time, I always bought cheap gas.

After reading about the issue and why it was happening, i never bought cheap gas again and never had engine knock again. I also was able to go back to regular octane. I have lived by this rule for the past 15 years and never experienced engine knock in any vehicle since, all using 87 octane.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

So it sounds like those commercials from Chevron talking about all their additives are not just advertising BS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Biodiesel

I know the diesels aren't here yet but I live in the Midwest and biodiesel is a problem. Minnesota has 10-20% bio and Illinois has 5-20% bio. It is mandated so you cannot buy non bio in either state. The PM diesel is B7 bio compatible. Will they sell the PM diesel in the Midwest and if so, what are owners suppose to do about fuel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your engine isn't rated to run B20 Biodiesel you could hurt it. The Diesel PM is rated B7 for bio. A lot of the new clean burn diesels can't run over B5 bio without damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts