Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This evening we almost pulled off the battery monitor install, what a pain that is.....needed a bus bar to help with all the fittings....have several bus bars to choose
from but just didn't want to fool with it and pushed the issue and finally got all the terminal rings to fit on the post-----then a fuse blew :( Minor issue and will continue
the battery monitor tomorrow when I wake up in the afternoon.
But did get two things done. One, a trip to U-haul for the hitch and the steps. The lower step will be the shower platform, haven't you always wanted to balance precariously
on a slippery step while showering ha! But will beat standing in mud.
Two, the final (for now) decision on shower machine placement. Most times in our method of travel a shower will be readily handy, whether a state park/rv park/Flying-J/etc; and
I've mentioned in the past Poof and I have both backpacked 5 days with only creek '*****' baths and have been perfectly happy. Years ago I learned that a film canister full of cotton
balls saturated in alcohol can go a long way to feeling clean (ish) and like everything Class B RV everything is a compromise eh :) and what is decidedly critical to one owner is not for
another.
So the Boss propane shower is in its resting place in Hiyo Silver for when we need it.

And since some here like my bird photos, here's one more processed from the trip
[/url]Dainty portrait by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr[/img]

OK, I promise no more bird images, this is a Promaster forum after all !!

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
Love your bird photos. Keep sneaking them in.

With regard to long trips without access to bathing facilities, I have been known to clean my person using baby wipes that have been heated to steaming on the heater. Almost a spa experience.

Dry shampoo helps but is still not ideal.

I am very interested in knowing how the Basecamp works out for you,

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
We tend to boondock about 1/3 of the time often in remote state camping spots or even in county or local places or on BLM in the winter. The shower need has been mitigated by many more Forest service, BLM and other Federal campgrounds installing shower services. These are our secondary (or primary if it’s been more than 3-4 days since showers) sites as they are inexpensive with the Golden Age Pass. We strive for a quiet nature experience so commercial sites with lots of generators running and music blaring and drinking are out for us. I just bought a solar shower bag from REI to fill the gap. Mostly for hair wash, warm near-naked scrub if semi isolated and full shower where appropriate.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone on the bierd photo. I just learned it is a Cattle Egret. I love taking images
of everything from super macro to nebula but I don't know bird I.D. :(

RD, the REI shower bag is brilliant! Now why didn't I think of that. Speaking of showers, we're working on the water storage tank today....not having much luck but working on it. I love your overall approach to camping.

30 Ounce, here is the EXIF from that image:
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III
ƒ/6.3 700.0 mm 1/2000 640 Flash (off, did not fire)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zwarte, I'm interested in the Basecamp as well. Of course it will be pushed into double duty for hot water dish wash and
as I left for the hospital this evening I reminded Poof to look for a piece of fabric for the shower stall. Niodymium magnets arrived
today for that project.
We discussed the height of the 'stall' and I think knees to neck is good.

Now a thought on hair. Both Poof and I are blessed with lots of grey hair, a good thing, but when boondocking it would see the more hair
the more water is required and in our build 10 gallons will be the most we'll probably carry. I could get many a hair wash from that but
Poof's longer locks will quickly drain our reserve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts