Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2019 hr 3500 in the fall, been moving along slowly, but have had a bit of extra time lately.
Our needs:
1. Transport mountain bikes and other recreational gear inside. Plus tools & wash station in garage.
2. Boon dock for several days.
3. Mobile office for my wife.
4. Comfortably sleeps my wife, me and our 5 year old.
5. Comfortably hang out inside the van.
6. Rack for paddle boards, Canoe or Kayaks.

Not needed for us: toilet, shower, AC. No need for stealth.

Here’s a rough timeline of work done I’ll add pics below in order of completion. At the date of this post I’m probably a third of the way done.
November/ December- cabinets in garage area. Ran wires all over the friggin place. Applied Flex Seal over plywood in garage area (considering that my bike’ll be wet after washing it and we do winter sports).
January/ February- dialed in solar, electrical & water. Installed windows and maxxfan.
March- ceiling installed and painted, started with upper cabinets and bed platform.

As with all the builds that I’ve been checking out, you’ll see lots of similar parts...but being a Ceramics/ Art teacher tried to give a few unique details.
I’m not an experienced craftsman so I’m sure I’ve done plenty wrong...I don’t mind hearing alternatives to what I’ve done.
Thanks
Coach TWM

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Flew in to Boise (from Central California) to pick it up.

First night sleeping in it...not luxurious!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Congratulations ?

Looks like a well thought out design for your needs. I like how much you have packed into the drivers side cabinet In a small space.

·
Premium Member
8,720 Posts
Love that non-white van. Probably you did more internal framing inside the cabinets than you needed to do but hey, that's done- right? Builders do face framed cabinets to save internal space. That 1/2 inch plywood face is incredibly strong when glued and attached to plywood internal shelves. I like the look of them. You have a plan for all your activities and it shows. Your 5 year old will be a teenager in no time, enjoy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love that non-white van. Probably you did more internal framing inside the cabinets than you needed to do but hey, that's done- right? Builders do face framed cabinets to save internal space. That 1/2 inch plywood face is incredibly strong when glued and attached to plywood internal shelves. I like the look of them. You have a plan for all your activities and it shows. Your 5 year old will be a teenager in no time, enjoy.
Yeah, I think you’re right...but it’s also the support for me bed platform so I wanted to error on the side of too robust, rather that find out it’s not strong enough. I also figured that I had a little leeway (with weight) having a 3500.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cutting giant holes in van for windows and vent...tools needed drill, jigsaw a few beers for courage (disclaimer: I’m not responsible for crooked cuts if you employ the latter).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your 5 year old will be a teenager in no time, enjoy.
Thank you RD,
I’ve got 3 teens...though they don’t dig road trips much any longer, so with them it’s usually renting a beach house or cabin.
The color is why I flew to Idaho, was my favorite...though almost pulled the trigger on a red PM in Nevada.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The header of the bed is probably my favorite part of the build so far.
Getting a frame that fits snug around the window was tough with the rounded corners. I’ve seen some on this forum make some really slick bent wood frames...but that is way above my pay grade. So, wood glue, jig saw, spackle and sand paper was my approach.

·
Premium Member
8,720 Posts
These details are why we call these Custom Campervans not RV's

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You used the same rack with aluminum angles like I used but I don't know why you did it different?
Thanks on the book shelf, I figured the first book in it should be The Book. I configured the panels on the rack so that I can get my canoe on the other side.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts