Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Most newer vehicles can sense the requirement to turn it off, for instance if there is a baby seat in it or of the person in it weighs less than a certain amount.

What is your need for turing it off?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 10 pound dog rides in a bed that is suspended off the passenger seat. My other car tells me when the airbag is off.

·
Registered
552 Posts
On some vehicles if the seat belt is fastened but the weight in the seat isn't sufficient, it turns the airbag off. Have you tried that? Is there any weight in the seat or is it all hanging off the backrest ?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Made a bed out of plywood so as not to have air bag go off.
With out this the alarm would go off at times depending on
how the dog was sitting.Plus it is way more comfortable for her.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
If the alarm goes off that means air bag is active and detects weight this is after you are bucked in.
I am reading the manual right now and it says "The Driver and Passenger Advanced Front Air Bags
are certified to the Federal regulations for Advanced Air Bags.
So I do not think they will go off on the way we have it set. BUT "do not think" is not a good positive
answer. I am just as concerned as you are.

Going to look up "Federal regulations for advance airbags" and see what I can find. I was looking in the manual
and it does not say anything about this. Keep searching and I will do the same.

Thanks for bringing this up.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
13. How does sensor technology classify the type of occupant?
Most occupant classification systems in use today classify the occupant based upon weight. Occupant weight (sensed weight) is determined using pressure sensors in the seat cushion, weight sensors between the seat and the floor and/or by measuring seat belt tension.

As an additional way of classifying an occupant, other technologies are becoming available that can help the advanced frontal air bag system recognize the pressure profile on the seat bottom, such as pattern recognition technologies. Still more sophisticated systems utilize optical, infrared, ultrasonic or electric field sensors to classify the occupant type. Check your owner's manual or contact your vehicle's manufacturer to determine what type of occupant classification technology you may have in your vehicle.

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Air+Bags/Advanced+Frontal+Air+Bags#13

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to take the seat out for additional storage, however the system gives an error code when the whole seat has been removed. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Had the dual passenger seat arrangement, which did not let me access the back area..., So ordered a single bucket seat from dealership, got it installed in place of dual seat, but they said that they could not figure out the electrical connections...! the result was that the air bags system was not operable for all seats, including the driver seat.
So out of dealership now and trying to figure out how to trick the onboard computer into “thinking” that the seat is there! We ordered 2 parts online:
- Sensor Occupant Detection Part#68237023AA with white connector (you have to match the color of the connector, mine was white, for 2017 1500PM - but it also comes in black which is a different part number)
- Buckle Assembly, RIGHT Part#5RM76JXWAA with YELLOW connector.
The SOD is about $85 and theBuckle Assembly is about $180 from online dealership ordering.
We have not received the 2 parts yet but hoping that plugging those 2 parts through their respective connectors should make the computer think that the seats are there..., of course, you need to leave the hardware attached, may be wrapped in bubble wrap, under the seat...
Will let you know how this work..., jcrrd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts