Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had to haul a large countertop that extended out the back doors. The entire trip the camera stayed on and the dash kept flashing a signal that the rear doors were open. Is there a simple way to override that? It was quite annoying to say the least. I tried all of the buttons around the screen including the power off button but no joy.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,529 Posts
JL,

In the back corner of the van, on the passenger side, behind the black plastic trim panel, there's a connector with 3 wires coming from the rear passenger side door.

One of the wires is white with a blue stripe. If you cut that wire and insert a switch between the cut wires, when you turn the switch off the rear camera won't go on. Of course the door ajar light and the overhead lights that go on when you open the door won't work either, so turn the switch on to restore normal operation.

This has works for me, but I offer no guarantee, and you make modifications at your own risk!

The white/blue wire was discovered when forum members were looking for a way to turn on the camera while driving forward. Grounding that wire turns on the camera (and turns on dash warning light, interior lights), so cutting it keeps the wire from telling the van that the door is open.

ed

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was aware of the grounding out the wire mod for turning the camera on and I'll be looking to do that at some point but I didn't realize that adding a switch there to just cut the feed would turn them off. Makes sense. Thanks!

I actually have a pair of abandoned switches in the trim right there so this should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,436 Posts
Their is an easy way but first you need to make a forget-me knot. Just use an orange extension cord works well. The center latch on the rear doors has a gray plastic cam with the forget-me knot push in two clicks. The video screen turns off and radio function returns. The cam holds the forget-me knot and to release just open door with handle. This is a plastic cam so a reminder is needed so as not to slam the door with the cam closed. First posted in backup camera thread 6/03/15
for get me not.jpg
The other day I had to haul a large countertop that extended out the back doors. The entire trip the camera stayed on and the dash kept flashing a signal that the rear doors were open. Is there a simple way to override that? It was quite annoying to say the least. I tried all of the buttons around the screen including the power off button but no joy.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Their is an easy way but first you need to make a forget-me knot. Just use an orange extension cord works well. The center latch on the rear doors has a gray plastic cam with the forget-me knot push in two clicks. The video screen turns off and radio function returns. The cam holds the forget-me knot and to release just open door with handle. This is a plastic cam so a reminder is needed so as not to slam the door with the cam closed. First posted in backup camera thread 6/03/15
for get me not.jpg
I actually had a bungee ran through the latch similar to the extension cord that you show to hold the rear door closed. However, I only went one click on the cam as I was unaware as it went in further. Good info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts