Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if others are experiencing this or if it's normal or not, but my diesel pro master sounds like it it's a turbo whine it's pretty loud. I'm not talking about when I'm accelerating it's just a standard whine even at Idol. It sounds a lot like a high-pitched siren. Doesn't seem to affect the performance of the van, nor does it happen 24/7 kind of comes and goes

·
Registered
84 Posts
Turbo whine

I have not noticed a whine, but a clicking noise when it deaccelerates and begins to down shift. It is the loudest on the final down shifts. I think we are all a little paranoid currently with the diesel until its reliability starts logging some miles.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Might it be the hydraulic pump for the transmission? Seem to remember something in the manual mentioning that it might be heard, especially at startup or idle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Whine from the turbo means either an intake (between the filter and the turbo) air leak or an exhaust leak.

The turbo will sound like a whistle, more than a whine or drone, and it changes pitch with the throttle.

If you hear it, you need to have the leak found immediately.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure if others are experiencing this or if it's normal or not, but my diesel pro master sounds like it it's a turbo whine it's pretty loud. I'm not talking about when I'm accelerating it's just a standard whine even at Idol. It sounds a lot like a high-pitched siren. Doesn't seem to affect the performance of the van, nor does it happen 24/7 kind of comes and goes
Maybe not related at all, but my heater/ac fan makes a faint whine when it's on low settings; took me awhile to figure out just what it was. I hear it thru the first three (lowest) fan speeds. Haven't seen this mentioned here, but could this be what you're hearing? Gas engine here, so I have no idea what diesels sound like.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Similar issue - just noticed a whining sound, randomly. Sounds like static on a phone line. I thought it was my cell via uconnect.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've only had my van a week now, but I really don't hear much of the turbo at all. (kinda disappointed on that, really)

But re-reading the original post it mentions the sound at idle as well, and occasionally. Could it be the electric fans? They will turn on when the system is doing a DPF regen cycle. I had that happen on the road the other day and from inside the van it did sound like an odd whine, even at idle. Once I stopped and got out of the van it was obvious it was the electric cooling fans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have heard a whine. I initially thought it was an air-raid type siren in the neighborhood we were passing through. I was surprised to discover it was coming from the van. I have heard it many times since. I am still not sure what it is.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
E-brake? What do ya know! I have no whine but at my age I might not hear it if it is high pitched. [email protected] age! Just to put you at ease I can hear the regen fans unless at speed. I can still hear crickets and cicadas. For now. I can’t hear my wife most of the time. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts