Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, lets just say your warrantee was gone and you wanted to race your promaster on a closed course, with an external exhaust scrubber that collect any illegal emissions that you might emit... Are there any tuners out there? I called a few of the well known tuners for the Cummins engines, and I got the same response, NO. One guy said that for the 500 diesel units they sell a year there is no market for them, and wouldnt make sense for anyone to develop one. It would be really nice for the long term survival of these trucks to be able to delete the DEF and EGR and DPF.
This is the only thing I have found, which makes me wanna try it, since its just plugs and you can unplug it and it goes back to normal, but doesnt offer anything to clear dealer only codes.

https://www.chipexpress.com/products/ram/promaster/diesel-chip-tuning-boxes/4478/

Am I missing something? Anything out there?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
First of all our M40 transmission cannot take that much torque. In fact the power was reduced on the 3.0 in order to allow the M-40 to survive. FCA could easily get those guys output but a choice was made..........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sure they could, Im more interested in fuel economy and the emissions delete, and My van in particular will be on the light side, as its just an insulated daily driver/adventure rig. Transmission longevity is always a concern with more power, its also how you feed that power to the engine. I've got 30k miles and already had problems with the DEF twice, so its either get a new van, or get modifying.

·
Registered
220 Posts
there is company in england that offers what you are asking. you send your ecm to them for modify, cost was 660 bucks i think. they offered exhaust too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool!That does look like the only option, which makes sense. I also found out the guy that tuned my VW diesel ECU can do the same with the promaster ECU.

I live in Minnesota and theres problems with cold temps, like 20 degrees below zero, and the DEF. Also my dealer tells me it has to be above 20 degrees ambient temp to reset the "speed limited" code, so thats a problem for me 6 months out of the year. I still dont know if that 20 degrees thing is true or their way of keeping my van for an extra week. Either way, I want to be free of the dealer after my warrantee is gone.
Also I am worried about my EGR eating my DPF and destroying my turbo(right after the warrantee is up) , Like what happens on the 6.7 Cummins in the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. Im not sure about the exact cause but I know what an EGR can do to a diesel.

Also when the apocalypse happens, the supplies of DEF will eventually be expired and then what am I going to do with all the cooking oil I pillaged from costco?!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the tune allow for a complete delete??....i havent had problems with my def....but already replaced the tranny..?.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Thats scary, Im hoping since mine is more like a passenger vehicle, in terms of the miles Im putting on it, and the weight Im carrying will make my tranny last longer than a work vehicle that gets 100k miles a year.
Maybe Im wrong?

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
I am against deleting the emissions system or any part of it as long as you can get it fixed and continue. My ’94 Explorer was not fixable as far as Ford could determine and out of warrantee. I had to take drastic measures I am not proud of. I won’t say what but you might google “rodding the Catalyst” to better understand the issue.
Today emissions components are required to have a warrantee for 8 years or 80,000 miles whichever is first. Until that time it should be FCAs responsibility.
I have owned a few diesel tractors and a car and if I were still in a -20º place I’d not have diesel. It doesn’t gel now but my JD-990 is sitting in the barn with summer diesel in it as I haven’t run it enough this fall and winter to make a dent in the fuel level. I took it out at about 30º and it ran fine plowing the driveway. You may wonder why I’d be in NH in February and I do too. Back to sunny AZ and 85º March 11, until then I’m hoping for no snow.
Diesels have abused the environment for so long after gas vehicles cleaned their act up I hate to contribute to the issue now that they don't. Cities in Europe are having to ban older diesels due to the NOX contribution on diesels. Newer ones are fine of course if we don't defeat the system. Gas vehicles produce lots more CO2 so there is no perfect answer for them. Modern diesels would be better than gas and lots better than the VW defeated system.
All this is said as mine is working perfectly and I see no reason it can’t continue. When or if it doesn't I may sing a different tune but the overriding issues sill will remain. This engine can get 150% the fuel mileage of the V6, it is super clean, it is better for the environment than gas, the fuel should not be much more expensive than gas and the engine we have has a 500K lifetime.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am against deleting the emissions system or any part of it as long as you can get it fixed and continue. My ’94 Explorer was not fixable as far as Ford could determine and out of warrantee. I had to take drastic measures I am not proud of. I won’t say what but you might google “rodding the Catalyst” to better understand the issue.
Today emissions components are required to have a warrantee for 8 years or 80,000 miles whichever is first. Until that time it should be FCAs responsibility.
I have owned a few diesel tractors and a car and if I were still in a -20º place I’d not have diesel. It doesn’t gel now but my JD-990 is sitting in the barn with summer diesel in it as I haven’t run it enough this fall and winter to make a dent in the fuel level. I took it out at about 30º and it ran fine plowing the driveway. You may wonder why I’d be in NH in February and I do too. Back to sunny AZ and 85º March 11, until then I’m hoping for no snow.
Diesels have abused the environment for so long after gas vehicles cleaned their act up I hate to contribute to the issue now that they don't. Cities in Europe are having to ban older diesels due to the NOX contribution on diesels. Newer ones are fine of course if we don't defeat the system. Gas vehicles produce lots more CO2 so there is no perfect answer for them. Modern diesels would be better than gas and lots better than the VW defeated system.
All this is said as mine is working perfectly and I see no reason it can’t continue. When or if it doesn't I may sing a different tune but the overriding issues sill will remain. This engine can get 150% the fuel mileage of the V6, it is super clean, it is better for the environment than gas, the fuel should not be much more expensive than gas and the engine we have has a 500K lifetime.
No doubt...i was just curious...and that is exactly why i went with the dsl....i expect it to last.....**** if i got 540000 miles out of a chevy 6.0 cargo van( sold running) imexpect better from the dsl

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
I tremble to think how much gas you bought to go that 540,000 miles with that V8! If you got 10 mpg and gas was $2 you could buy three diesel PM vans for that gas! Our diesel giving even 23 mpg and with fuel 10% more ($2.20) would have saved you nearly $60,000. Some of the time gas was near $4- scary!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tremble to think how much gas you bought to go that 540,000 miles with that V8! If you got 10 mpg and gas was $2 you could buy three diesel PM vans for that gas! Our diesel giving even 23 mpg and with fuel 10% more ($2.20) would have saved you nearly $60,000. Some of the time gas was near $4- scary!
Actually averaged around 16mpg.....best was 19......best of everything..maintained at extreme service lvl...the promaster wasnt out then either.....my sprinter averages around 28 mpg.....that relic is still running great

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just coming off a cross country 9k mile trip. Diesel was at least .50 and quite often up to $1.00 more expensive than regular gas everywhere (but CA)!
Brother....i pay in Houston around 2.35 a gallon.....we do hot shot deliveries and its past 3$$$$ a gallon in some places.....i have been looking for extended range tanks(bolt on) but no ine is makin em yet

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brother....i pay in Houston around 2.35 a gallon.....we do hot shot deliveries and its past 3$$$$ a gallon in some places.....i have been looking for extended range tanks(bolt on) but no ine is makin em yet

Now thats an idea! Its crazy how much the price of diesel varies. Almost bolt on.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-GALLON-78L-ALUMINUM-FUEL-CELL-TANK-FEED-LINE-KIT-30-MICRON-GAS-FILTER-SILVER/382063887849?epid=848812649&hash=item58f4c845e9:g:HNsAAOSw8DJaPdmo&vxp=mtr

You could run your original fuel tank down to the red, turn on your auxillary fuel pump and have the 20 gallons from the fuel cell pump up to the original tank and keep on truckin. If your not running a diesel powered cab heater you could push it down through the auxilary fuel nipple on your stock fuel pump/tank.

My 98 1 ton extended chevy van with the 350 got 12 mpg at 70-80mpg. Had tons of power tho.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not interested in any DEF bypassing, moreso improving the aspect of shift points and power delivery of of the AMT. There have been several times where I start from a standstill on mild dirt/gravel roads that I know could be overcome if the transmission did not shift so late coming out of first. Probably less than an 8 degree grade incline. Does anybody have leads on an expert/aftermarket shop that specializes in such work?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tremble to think of the cost of 5 transmissions in those diesel Promasters to get to 540,000 miles. That would be around $30,000 in repairs which would buy 15,000 gallons of fuel at $2 a gallon, not to mention all the down time that might have put him out of business.

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
Tx do you know something we don’t? There are folks who would say the same about the transmission in the gasser as lots of folks are seeing 100K transmission failures. My comment wasn't to disparage the gasser which I like fine but to be clear that diesel fuel mileage in the PM is great compared to older gassers, the 3.6 modern engine and even other diesel trucks and vans. I have 61+K, no transmission issues (knock on wood) no emissions issues (again) and 26+ lifetime fuel mileage. I believe the 3.6 gasser reliably gets 17 for most users so in 540K miles (should we be so lucky) the gasser would use 31,700 gal of perhaps $2.70 gas about $85,500 and the diesel would use 20,700 gal of $3.00 diesel (10% is the differential I see at stations that serve both) for $62,300. If both had to buy 5 transmissions or rebuilds which is unlikely the cost and time would be nearly equal. Lots of low mileage transmissions are available for both as a check with LKQ shows. The diesel transmission is more expensive due to more limited supply I would guess, so some of that $23,000 would be lost but not nearly all.
I think it is sad we don’t have access to a diesel in this van as it is a much better driving experience. It is quiet, makes no diesel exhaust smell or soot, burns cleaner and with less CO2 than the gasser, pulls like a freight engine with no need for shifts and once you get used to the ATM is fund to drive. It is strange to keep getting anti-diesel posts for an option that hasn't been available for over two model years, especially coming out of Texas where diesel seems to be the engine of choice in anything like a truck.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Has anyone tried the ChipExpress chip?
I'm not interested in turning this into a smoker, I like the extremely clean exhaust coming out of this engine. Reducing the EGR, getting better fuel economy, at the cost of a more NOx, might produce lower greenhouse gas emissions and more reliability.

I haven't researched this chip yet, just looking for info.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts