Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 PM2500, 159"WB
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current car insurance is progressive who basically just said no because its classified as a "commerical vehicle" they wont insure it as a personal use vehicle. Three other insurance companies said exactly the same thing. I'm still calling around but god. I just bought the thing today and we cant finalize it until they have proof of insurance, I did not expect this to be an issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My current car insurance is progressive who basically just said no because its classified as a "commerical vehicle" they wont insure it as a personal use vehicle. Three other insurance companies said exactly the same thing. I'm still calling around but god. I just bought the thing today and we cant finalize it until they have proof of insurance, I did not expect this to be an issue.
Yep, I had exactly the same problem with progressive. Ended up with a very expensive plan with Travelers via AAA.
A new agent picked up my account and bundled a renters policy ($18) with my auto and saved me $200 a month.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm in Michigan and had the same exact issue. I'm with State Farm now, but it's been a VERY bumpy ride! I started out with them insuring my stripped van, then with a lot of work from my local agent I managed to get my conversion costs added as a rider on the policy. That worked for about a year until they abruptly cancelled my entire policy with a letter saying that they would no longer insure it. Once again my agent did some kind of behind the scenes work to get my policy reinstated, this time as and RV instead of a van.

What I have now will basically cover some of the cost of the materials I put into the conversion, plus the actual van. It's expensive (Around $1300 per year), but it's the best I could do here in the lovely State of Michigan where car insurance can sometimes be more than car payments. Truth be told, I'm honestly afraid to try looking elsewhere as I worry that I'll be cancelled again.

If you haven't got your plates yet, do everything you can to get the SOS to register it as a non-commercial vehicle. It is possible on the 2500's, but might not be if you have a 3500. It takes some talking at the SOS (And a willing employee) which might be difficult now as it's appointment only.

·
Registered
412 Posts
When we bought our PM last summer, we went with GEICO. The quote for it plus our existing car was lower than what we were paying for the one car (and that was without collision since it's so old).

·
Registered
2017 PM2500, 159"WB
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback

I went with Farmers. I also found Geico & State Farm would insure, for me Farmers just ended up with the best rate for similar coverage (about 500$ for 6 months on a 2017 PM 2500 w/ 63,000 miles).

State farm restructured theirs to beat what I told them Farmers was offering but I needed to get it in to finish the paperwork of the sale so it was too late, although Farmers still had better coverage so for the extra 100$ a year its prob fine. Geico was the most expensive at like $680 for 6 months.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not Michigan, so ymmv, but we're with Mercury. They didn't flinch (I'm a private owner who uses it for work), but it might be because our vans are all registered commercial here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Live in Michigan. Progressive quoted $569 and Safeco quoted $653 both for a year. Coverage was 250/500 with 500 deductable. This was on my 2021 Promaster 3500 upfitted to an Sequence 20L RV by Thor.

·
Registered
2018 HR 136” in winter camouflage.
40 Posts
In Michigan with Auto Owners and no problems with insurance, now if someone could help me with my outside shower...

·
Registered
190 Posts
So many people talk about using Progressive but they quoted almost $4K/year when I looked and I'm old with no tickets or accidents, excellent credit, home ownership, and only drive 2-4K miles/year.
The "cheapest" coverage I could find in Washington state was $1.4K/year with Liberty Mutual which is $850 more than I paid for the car that it replaced which could do 150 mph?!?

·
Super Moderator
10,864 Posts
I had a full coverage RV policy from progressive in NH up until last year on my ‘14 and it was about $400 a year! They refused to insure my new ‘20 however at any price😜!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok. New to this. My insurance company in Michigan(MEEMIC) says they will insure my built out(sleeping, sink, 2-burner range, heater, outside shower) 136" WB high top PM as a motorhome , but I need to talk to SOS(DMV) about title and registration. Does one have to change title/reg to motorhome or RV (whats the difference?) in order to insure it as such? They quoted about $500/ 6 mos. Progressive was more same story with registration. Any one?

·
Super Moderator
10,864 Posts
They may require that in some states but others couldn’t care less. Progressive will not knowingly insure it in any state without the RVIA sticker on it and NO owner built van can display that. Some campground won’t even let you stay there without the sticker!

·
Registered
21 Posts
They may require that in some states but others couldn’t care less. Progressive will not knowingly insure it in any state without the RVIA sticker on it and NO owner built van can display that. Some campground won’t even let you stay there without the sticker!
HAH! Just got a web quote from Progressive (said it was a Ram Promaster 136"WB, ClassB) for $984/yr. Then just read that Progressive does not insure "conversion vans"( I was also told this by an agent months ago) is this just a vernacular thing or if I go with Progressive, will they not honor it? I have an appointment with local DMV in Michigan to discuss this registration/titling stuff. I think most DMVs are new to this, and maybe don't have a clue either. Hard to find any info on registering a vehicle as a RV or Motorhome as being different than a car.

·
Super Moderator
10,864 Posts
I have RV coverage on my conversion from State Farm (in NH) they couldn’t care less what the registration says on it and it’s registered with regular passenger plates NOT RV plates although I could get them if I wanted to pay the extra charge.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have RV coverage on my conversion from State Farm (in NH) they couldn’t care less what the registration says on it and it’s registered with regular passenger plates NOT RV plates although I could get them if I wanted to pay the extra charge.
Is the full value of your RV covered through State farm? I would like to title/register the PM as a cargo van( this would just be a simple title transfer; buying from build out guy), thereby eliminating the extra state taxes if I change over to RV or motorhome reg, but am leary that whatever insurance I use for the van as an RV/motorhome, will not honor damages or whatever if the registration/title says cargo van. Is this something you know about?

·
Super Moderator
10,864 Posts
I requested fixed value coverage and gave them detailed photographic evidence along with my spreadsheet. It was no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
557 Posts
Relatives in Ohio? I pay less than $100.00 in tagging fees per year for a brand new PM and a new cargo trailer. DMV had no problem titling as personal and taking my yearly fee. USAA had no problem insuring. As cheap as a car.

·
Registered
2019 2500 HT
35 Posts
My long-time State Farm agent in New Mexico has talked to the underwriters several times, most recently about a month ago. She assures me there will be no problem insuring it as an RV once the conversion is finished, but like KOV I will need to provide receipts and photographs. Also, at least in NM, I won't need to change the registration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts