Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2014 2500 136 WB gasser in October. I got the van used at 87k miles. It was a standard contractor van and looked to be in pretty good shape. My past cars have been a Toyota 4Runner and a Subaru Outback and I knew this would be a different experience in terms of gas mileage, comfort, etc. But I don’t think it should be this bad and this is where I’m hoping for other folks’ input.

My plan was to get a used van and pay for whatever issues I was inheriting. I got it for $23k so still a far cry from purchasing a new van. Here are the issues I’ve had:

1. Needed to replace a catalytic converter - this light turned on a week after passing my emissions test. Really disappointing to have my “new” car and have the check engine light turn on.

2. Weird things with headlights. Low beams stopped working on day one. Brought it in when they replaced the catalytic converters and they said cables were loose and fixed it. A month later, the driver side was out and I had to replace the bulb.

3. Brake light, running light, and license plate light have all gone out. Not as big of an issue as the headlights but still annoying to have the dashboard lights on.

4. No heat. Not sure why that happened and when I brought it to a dealership they worked on it for an hour before saying the heat went back on spontaneously. It was scorching for a little bit but now works as normal. Bizarre to not know what caused it.

5. I had some weird issues turning the car on. Once I tried and it was completely dead (nothing turning over, no lights, nothing). When I brought it in the mechanic said he didn’t see any issues with the battery and that it was a great van overall.

6. These issues all happened during a cross country road trip so when I got to my destination I got it fully serviced. (Dealership showed full servicing before I bought it so I didn’t bother initially.) On the way back 400 miles later the check engine light was on for preliminary cam shaft issue (not super sure what this means?) and for brake service. The brakes were a huge issue because it had a loud beep when I drove - not to mention anxiety with imagining my brakes giving up on the highway! According to the mechanic the sensor might have gotten stuck during servicing. He also said the cam shaft was working fine and not to worry about it right now.

Okay a little bit lengthy but wanted to give the full experience of owning the van for three months so far. The hope is once I get these initial issues out of the way the van will be good in the long haul. Fortunately this was a highway-based trip so never too far from a mechanic. Also, every mechanic (three different ones) has said the van is in great shape! But my real goal is to go off grid and I can’t have issues like this in the middle of the woods.

Thoughts around this? I’m thinking about bringing it to the dealership and getting a full diagnostic. I’m also thinking about selling it at this point if I keep having issues. Please let me know any and all thoughts you have!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds like you have in infamous promaster engine ticks where some of the rocker bearings is done.
Look here:

When one of the rocker bearings goes out, it wear out the cam shaft and put unburned fuel into the cat and destroyed the cat. Of course this is all assumption. I would stop driving it and taking mechanic that work on dodge/ram since driving more will cause more issue. Dealer will cost double or more to do the same work.

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
Agreed. The dealer is the last place you should be taking it after the warranty has expired!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. So based on that thread I may have to look into replacing the whole engine?

·
Super Moderator
9,887 Posts
Probably cheaper to have an independent repair shop fix it at this point. Just ask around first and don't take the first diagnosis you receive because they are nearby, etc.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas
1,928 Posts
Hi,
I would read over the posts by Kip-on-truckin on the camshaft issue to better understand the problem.

Use the "advanced search" and put in his user name to get those posts.

Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again all for the input. No flood damage on the carfax just normal maintenance type things, nothing crazy. Just spent a lot of time reading through Kip’s and others’ posts on the camshaft issue. It is nice to have an idea of what’s going on! I’m going to bring it to a couple of independent mechanics and report back. Thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Probably don't need to replacing the engine if its really rocker issue but it might be more cost effective to buy a used engine??? From what I seen on youtube, depends on the extend of the damage to the cam, it might need to be replaced. The rockers is not expensive, the cam might be expensive depend on which side or if you need to replace both. The majority of the cost will be the labor.

In terms of headlight, it seems normal for promaster to have premature failure on the driver side headlight, cheap to replace and I would do it yourself and watch a few youtube video.

The trail light, brake light might be a fuse thing, check if the fuse is still good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I’ll keep that in mind when bringing it around. I’ve called a couple mechanics and have an appointment for Monday to get it checked out.

Anyone in Colorado have mechanics they recommend? No one seems to know what a Ram Promaster is which is super odd to me considering that everyone else in Boulder seems to have a camper van too.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It does help that the PM's Chrysler Pentastar 3.6L engine is also found in lots of other Chrysler vehicles (mini-vans, trucks, etc). If you suspect you have the "Pentastar tick", find a mechanic with lots of Pentastar tick experience. That should be easier than finding one with PM experience. I knew several good mechanics in Boulder half-a-century ago :LOL:

·
Registered
2017 Promaster 2500 conversion
12 Posts
Thanks again all for the input. No flood damage on the carfax just normal maintenance type things, nothing crazy. Just spent a lot of time reading through Kip’s and others’ posts on the camshaft issue. It is nice to have an idea of what’s going on! I’m going to bring it to a couple of independent mechanics and report back. Thanks!
similar scenario our engine expired with 61,500 miles.
Bought an engine with a 3 year 100k mile warranty had dodge install it.
7K$ later we are purring like a kitten.
Below is what the mechanic found when he dropped my oil pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
similar scenario our engine expired with 61,500 miles.
Bought an engine with a 3 year 100k mile warranty had dodge install it.
7K$ later we are purring like a kitten.
Below is what the mechanic found when he dropped my oil pan.
Do they said what would cause it? Did they found any bad rocker bearing? thanks for posting.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Lightning issues are quite often bad grounds. They are unlikely to blow fuses, just burn themselves out or stop working. Someday they may stop grounding lights in areas prone to corrosion. Until then clean terminal, screw, and frame then reattach

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I told the mechanic about the engine ticking and that I was very concerned about what you all have laid out here. The check engine light code was P000A BANK 1 CAMSHAFT SENSOR SLOW RESPONSE (see the image below) and also mentioned the oil was low. Though we just changed it two weeks ago, we did drive almost 2000 miles since the last oil change. Does that seem normal to folks?

They said they put in more oil and the ticking went down considerably. So their recommendation was to service with system cleaner and additive. It sounds like if they clean out the system and fill up with fresh oil, that should keep the camshaft happy. But they also mentioned that I should put another 200-300 miles on it and see if the ticking is back.

Other things they found were broken clips on the coolant hose (such that the hose was on the exhaust) and that the power steering lines are leaking. I opted to fix the broken clips but hold off on replacing the power steering lines since that was really pricy ($1500) and did not seem to be an immediate issue.

I'm hoping the oil cleaner fixes the issue - definitely way cheaper than replacing an engine!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've driven some things without power steering. Good way to build muscle, especially when parking or otherwise adjusting tires at low or no speed... Are the lines cracked? I imagine there's an easier fix if it's at a connection point rather than in a line. Replacement seems like overkill. Can keep some on hand to replace if it's a slow leak. Same with the oil. Not as good as a repair though.

Oil level going down generally means you're burning or leaking. Neither is great. Oil should remain at a rather consistent level, but is less effective with age and usage. Loses viscosity and lubrication quality rather than actually disappears.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Did they said how much oil they have to add? Did you change the oil yourself or a shop? Maybe someone didn't add enough oil to begin with?? I would keep an eye on the oil consumption, it might be nothing or you might have a leak in the oil cooler/filter housing. Usually you will see oil on top of the transmission bell housing.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
431 Posts
I purchased a 2014 2500 136 WB gasser in October. I got the van used at 87k miles. It was a standard contractor van and looked to be in pretty good shape. My past cars have been a Toyota 4Runner and a Subaru Outback and I knew this would be a different experience in terms of gas mileage, comfort, etc. But I don’t think it should be this bad and this is where I’m hoping for other folks’ input.

My plan was to get a used van and pay for whatever issues I was inheriting. I got it for $23k so still a far cry from purchasing a new van. Here are the issues I’ve had:

1. Needed to replace a catalytic converter - this light turned on a week after passing my emissions test. Really disappointing to have my “new” car and have the check engine light turn on.

2. Weird things with headlights. Low beams stopped working on day one. Brought it in when they replaced the catalytic converters and they said cables were loose and fixed it. A month later, the driver side was out and I had to replace the bulb.

3. Brake light, running light, and license plate light have all gone out. Not as big of an issue as the headlights but still annoying to have the dashboard lights on.

4. No heat. Not sure why that happened and when I brought it to a dealership they worked on it for an hour before saying the heat went back on spontaneously. It was scorching for a little bit but now works as normal. Bizarre to not know what caused it.

5. I had some weird issues turning the car on. Once I tried and it was completely dead (nothing turning over, no lights, nothing). When I brought it in the mechanic said he didn’t see any issues with the battery and that it was a great van overall.

6. These issues all happened during a cross country road trip so when I got to my destination I got it fully serviced. (Dealership showed full servicing before I bought it so I didn’t bother initially.) On the way back 400 miles later the check engine light was on for preliminary cam shaft issue (not super sure what this means?) and for brake service. The brakes were a huge issue because it had a loud beep when I drove - not to mention anxiety with imagining my brakes giving up on the highway! According to the mechanic the sensor might have gotten stuck during servicing. He also said the cam shaft was working fine and not to worry about it right now.

Okay a little bit lengthy but wanted to give the full experience of owning the van for three months so far. The hope is once I get these initial issues out of the way the van will be good in the long haul. Fortunately this was a highway-based trip so never too far from a mechanic. Also, every mechanic (three different ones) has said the van is in great shape! But my real goal is to go off grid and I can’t have issues like this in the middle of the woods.

Thoughts around this? I’m thinking about bringing it to the dealership and getting a full diagnostic. I’m also thinking about selling it at this point if I keep having issues. Please let me know any and all thoughts you have!
You need to pull both engine and transmission fluid samples and expedite it to a lab for analysis. Pronto.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts