Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning road trip. Has anyone stayed the night at a pilot or flying j truck stop?
Good bad or ugly?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,594 Posts
Bad because they are noisy. Try Cracker Barrel restaurants. They close at 10 so it gets quiet. Coffee at 6 am.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've done it. Wasn't a big deal. I didn't even know you could reserve a spot - I just drove until I didn't want to drive any more. Park out of the way of the trucks. It is definitely noisier than a rest area or a business parking lot. On my travels I generally tried to avoid closed businesses that didn't explicitly allow overnight parking simply because I didn't want the risk of a cop knocking on the door checking things out. Surprisingly to me, the only place we ever had a cop knock on the door was at a forest service trailhead in Jackson Hole because the forest service claimed to have problems with hooligans so they made it "day use only."

Where are you heading?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done it. Wasn't a big deal. I didn't even know you could reserve a spot - I just drove until I didn't want to drive any more. Park out of the way of the trucks. It is definitely noisier than a rest area or a business parking lot. On my travels I generally tried to avoid closed businesses that didn't explicitly allow overnight parking simply because I didn't want the risk of a cop knocking on the door checking things out. Surprisingly to me, the only place we ever had a cop knock on the door was at a forest service trailhead in Jackson Hole because the forest service claimed to have problems with hooligans so they made it "day use only."

Where are you heading?
Planning two separate trips.
the Florida keys in January and San Diego then to Yosemite in June

·
Registered
272 Posts
The 6am coffee is what sold me on Cracker Barrel! Thanks for the suggestion. Good even when traveling by car and need a good overnight nap.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Man, that's a tough call for me between a truck stop and cracker barrel.
I like the idea of being able to get coffee and breakfast first thing, but I feel that a lone van in the parking lot of a closed business might look suspicious or draw attention.
I'd actually feel a little safer in a brightly lit truck stop with lots of movement and traffic, but the downside of that is the noise and no sit down breakfast. At least not a quality one.
I guess it would have to be an on the fly judgement call.
I'm adding cracker barrel to the list of places to crash. It's one of the wife's favorite breakfast joints.
Are they all over the country?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, that's a tough call for me between a truck stop and cracker barrel.
I like the idea of being able to get coffee and breakfast first thing, but I feel that a lone van in the parking lot of a closed business might look suspicious or draw attention.
I'd actually feel a little safer in a brightly lit truck stop with lots of movement and traffic, but the downside of that is the noise and no sit down breakfast. At least not a quality one.
I guess it would have to be an on the fly judgement call.
I'm adding cracker barrel to the list of places to crash. It's one of the wife's favorite breakfast joints.
Are they all over the country?
I like the Cracker Barrel idea too although I will have to try a truck stop at least once. My wife wears hearing aids and can take them out. She says I have selective hearing so noise may not be a problem 🤔 I do appreciate all the input. You guys are grest

·
Registered
584 Posts
U probably not be Only one overnite @ CB....but then again hard to mess up eggs....i have gotten gas @ pilot then had breakfast...i do hash browns instead of grits.....sliced tomatoes

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 106 Posts