Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot but wanted something more relevant to me. 2017, 79000 miles. Whine first started recently. Hard to detect but mostly on downhills. Can't detect the whine with engine in neutral and revving so I think it's transmission related. Seems to be getting louder. I'm out on the road. A few weeks from home. Can't check the fluid level of course, no aftermarket purchases toward that end.

So, is it just low fluid? Bearings? Etc? Or something completely unrelated to the transmission? What do u think?

Kip in truckin, if u r monitoring, i would appreciate an opinion.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
770 Posts
If I’m not mistaken you can check the transmission fluid level with a long zip tie, or get an aftermarket dipstick

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
342 Posts
Tranny hot: fluid level 2"/50mm from bottom of dipstick.

Use your engine dipstick as @keeponvaning suggests. Tranny fill tube cap is awkward to get at from above as there is a wiring harness right above it. Lie on the deck and reach up to loosen/remove it. (Wear eye protection.) As your motor/tranny will need to be hot, wear long sleeves. Make sure to fill with ATF+4 fluid if it needs it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Your noise, since it's not constant and dependent on loading, could possibly be due to wear in the differential gearing (or associated bearings). Are you running a stock OEM setup on your drivetrain?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your noise, since it's not constant and dependent on loading, could possibly be due to wear in the differential gearing (or associated bearings). Are you running a stock OEM setup on your drivetrain?
Yes. Everything is stock. I started to get the noise on downhills when the transmission downshifts. It's nothing super loud just noticeable and different. A little volume increase on the head unit takes care of it. I don't seem to notice it on the flats at highway speeds.

If the oil level is 2" when hot, What is the fluid level on the oil dipstick when cooled overnight?

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
1,029 Posts
If the oil level is 2" when hot, What is the fluid level on the oil dipstick when cooled overnight?
Its easiest to measure when engine is fully warm up. Unless you know the fluid temperature and you can match it up to this 62TE chart (Im assuming its similar to ours):

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,177 Posts
not started I'm guessing 2 weeks plus, avg ambient temp today 75°
5" on zip tie

I started it and cycle the trans, I'll check tomorrow to see what an overnight cold measurement is.

·
Registered
2019 1500 Pleasure Way Tofino
29 Posts
not started I'm guessing 2 weeks plus, avg ambient temp today 75°
5" on zip tie

I started it and cycle the trans, I'll check tomorrow to see what an overnight cold measurement is.
Just to verify: The transmission must be up to temp 180 plus and the engine must be running and the trans must be in park/neutral. Then your level should be approximately 2” on the dipstick.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,177 Posts
Just to verify: The transmission must be up to temp 180 plus and the engine must be running and the trans must be in park/neutral. Then your level should be approximately 2” on the dipstick.
correct, I was doing an ambient temp, no start, fluid level check.

My van,
hot - running 2"
storage, ambient temp, not running 5"
and tomorrow morning I'll do a "overnight, cold check, no start" scenario

These measurement are also a baseline for me, since I know my hot - running check is 2", so if my hot level is good its reasonable to assume that my storage level at 5" would be 2"s doing a hot and running check.

unknown would be a winter storage level

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
974 Posts
correct, I was doing an ambient temp, no start, fluid level check.

My van,
hot - running 2"
storage, ambient temp, not running 5"
and tomorrow morning I'll do a "overnight, cold check, no start" scenario

These measurement are also a baseline for me, since I know my hot - running check is 2", so if my hot level is good its reasonable to assume that my storage level at 5" would be 2"s doing a hot and running check.

unknown would be a winter storage level
5"? I wonder if your dipstick is bypassing the built in dipstick stop?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Try driving around with your hand on the shifter at all times to get a feel for how it vibrates in various gears and speeds. When you hear the noise, does the feeling in the shifter change too? Also check the difference when it’s in gear and in neutral.

I would say get under the van and inspect the CV boots for tears. You would need to put the front end up on jack stands to check the hub assemblies/wheel bearings or CV drive axle for play.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Sorry I’m late.
Below is a video about transmission whine. I’m guessing (just guessing) that this probably isnt your problem, because you mention it’s only on downhills, and I doubt you’d be able to hear even the noise as bad as in the video while moving.

So what can make a similar noise? Hmm. That’s what I’m trying to come up with. Or, what only makes noise on downhills? Still cant come with anything. All I can think of is to see if you cause the noise by shifting into 5th or even 4th at highway speed. If so, then at least that narrows it to transmission or exhaust.
Or maybe you can capture and post a recording.

Reactions: Mudmanc4

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've read a lot but wanted something more relevant to me. 2017, 79000 miles. Whine first started recently. Hard to detect but mostly on downhills. Can't detect the whine with engine in neutral and revving so I think it's transmission related.
My 2017 with 43000 miles makes a whistle/turbine sound while driving. It's only happens when driving at light throttle in a gear with low rpm's, like 4th gear at 35mph. Its always been like this and I've owned it since 20000 miles. It's in excellent condition. It sounds awesome and it's a smooth farkin' ride and fast as fark for a cargo van.

Other vehicles I've owned also make awesome sounds. Our Subaru's boxer sounds like an airplane when coasting down hill, water-cooled VW's make a whirly-whiney sound.

Perhaps you don't know how awesome your van is😎.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,177 Posts
FWIW,
It was interesting for me to see the levels.

storage non running check - 5"
drive it, park over night, non running morning check - 4.5",
hot running check - 40mm
cold running check - 20mm
last time I did a check it was 50mm, variables?

I don't know what the fluid temp is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts