Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my conversion is almost complete I've noticed some odd behavior in the transmission. Since my van is now loaded I notice a slight hesitation and stutter in the transmission from first to second when I am going uphill or I am hard on the accelerator. Anybody else notice this or am I just getting used to how the transmission performs when loaded.

I have a 159 3500 gas.

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
I think it's normal but you might want to check your fluid level.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sure it's not 2nd to 3rd ...

The 62TE inherently has a slightly wonky 2-3 shift because of its design roots as a glorified 4-speed box with an add-on 2-speed range box.

"2-3" involves shifting the main part of the box from "first" to "second" while simultaneously shifting the range box from direct to underdrive. These two synchronized actions don't always happen perfectly and it's just the nature of the beast, not on its own indicative of anything wrong. Most people won't notice it.

The "1-2" shift involves shifting the range box from underdrive to direct, but so does the "3-4" shift. If there is really anything wrong with how yours is doing the 1-2 shift, it should also affect the 3-4 shift because it's the same things happening inside the transmission.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I agree with Brian. If the engine is missing/sputtering in all gears (particularly at low rpm in 6th gear) then it's something else. But if it's just at that 1-2 or 2-3 shift, then it's probably nothing. Or possibly the van is shifting from 1st to 3rd. I think we all can agree that the transmission programming on the Promaster leaves something to be desired, though my 2 vans are at a combined 320,000 miles now and zero trans issues.

Also, you can't check the fluid level, it's sealed.

Reactions: falconVan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts