Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't rank these as specific problems with the AMT, more just 'quirks' that I've gotten used to. But I am wondering if other folks see these as well.

1) It sure loves 2nd gear. It will often let the engine wind up to 3k before shifting to 3rd. If not that high, then not far from it. Maybe its just the way I drive rather softly, as when I drive a bit harder it seems to shift out quicker. Often I'll just pop it over to Manual, shift to 3rd, and then back to Drive, especially when cold and headed downhill slightly (as when leaving home).

2) It sure does NOT love 4th gear. In my easy driving style it will shift to 4th at a reasonable RPM, stay in 4th for just a wee moment and then go right on to 5th. I'll be in 5th before 40mph, which is fine, it drives OK that way, its just funny how it seems to be trying to skip-shift from 3rd to 5th. Yet there's other times out on two lane roads that it will spend time in 4th just as it should. Dunno...

3) Perhaps this one is more a quirk of the cruise control. Driving along in 6th around 50mph, engage the cruise, and it downshifts to 5th, and stays there. Hrrmph. Now I just move the shifter over to Manual to lock in 6th gear when I want to have cruise control on arond 50mph.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like the transmission. I find it likes to shift around 2500 rpm so I manipulate the shift points by easing off the gas. Unloaded and level, 1800 rpm is the sweet spot. I haven't noticed it hanging on to certain gears... I'll now keep my ears and eyes open.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I manipulate the shift points by easing off the gas.
I'll do the same, even with the 2-3 shift. Just hold back on the throttle just a bit for a wee moment. Can also do that to get it to downshift too, especially if you're still exiting a turn; drop off throttle for a moment then ease back on, good chance to finagle it to downshift.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
This shift delay is accentuated by a slight downhill. Mine seems to not do it on flat or up. The shift down to 5th is the same. It does not do it on flat or up, but will if slight down. Manual is your friend. Love this combination of diesel and AMT!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Z- Your description of the van shifting in drive is exactly the way mine shifts. Now I know that my strange auto shifting is not a one of. I pretty much shirt manually and like doing it that way. On the highway I put it in D. I sure like the way the Diesel purrs down the road! Town driving is not that fun but most of mine is driving highway so I love it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts