Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
It is America. Nothing stopping anyone from designing and building their own vehicle.
This reminded me that when I was in school a long time ago guys could build dune buggies and make them street legal with just a few “upgrades” like lights, windshield, wipers, horn, and seatbelts. In some states you could eliminate the windshield by wearing a helmet, and in others neither was mandatory.

A few years ago I looked at building another one and found it would be a hassle to make it street legal even in Texas where laws are relatively easy. In most states it’s essentially impossible.

I think a lot of it is safety related, and often makes no sense to me. A guy can ride a motorcycle without a seatbelt or windshield, or a 3-wheeler, but the minute you add a 4th wheel it’s a car and subject to all kinds of additional safety regulations like crash testing.

I have a neighbor who rides his 3~4 year old son on a Harley without seatbelt or airbag, but if you do the same on an upgraded ATV it’s illegal. Wish I would have kept my dune buggy since it would have been grandfathered in.

I do understand why it’s done, and accept it, but don’t like that I can’t build a dune buggy because others want to protect me from myself when they allow others to take risks on motorcycles, scooters, and even bicycles.

·
Registered
202 Posts
We no longer live in a time or culture where people are responsible for their own decisions, happiness or mishaps. The reason they are making 4 wheel vehicles idiot proof, is because people want to be able to do 80mph while playing with their phone, with their feet up on the dash, like they are at home in their living room. And they want to sue someone if they crash. People can't even be bothered to watch where they are walking or look over their shoulder before backing up. People can't seem to be bothered by much of anything anymore. Pretty soon we will be mindless blobs with a cell phone bolted to our head with a completely self driven car and prechewed food getting pumped down our gullet.
I guess the incessant complaining about shifting points and any other little thing reminds me of that entitled mindset that is rampant in our culture now.
I mean, I can see being a little picky if you just dumped a half mil$ on a hand made supercar and didn't like the way it down shifted in the mountains.
Everyone expects everything to just operate perfectly and smoothly and not require any input or effort from them. I know I can't change it. Bad parenting and corporate greed manipulating perception has brought us to this new age of entitled whiners.
But I will continue to make snarky comments now and then because that's about all I can do about it.
Maybe it will make someone realize their fruitless, incessant complaining is not helping or changing anything.
Although, in today's culture, it's more likely they will try to get me banned for being sarcastic and micro aggressive. Whatever that means.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts