Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I know this is bad, and I should have given it attention sooner, but I haven't serviced my transmission at all since I purchased it. I bought the van with 36,000 miles on it, and now I'm currently at 358,000 miles. There aren't any problems with it, but I was watching some videos on youtube, and it just got me thinking, I should probably give it some attention. What would you recommend at this point? Just a standard flush and filter change? I've heard that if you haven't changed the fluids after this long, it's best not to at this point. Is that just a myth, or is there some truth to that? This is actually the second time I've done this. My first Promaster I bought brand new and ended up with a little over 400,000 miles with zero transmission problems before it got totaled in an accident. I drive in northern Ohio, 500 miles a day, very flat highways, and super light loads. I would assume that puts a little less stress on the transmission and one of the reasons I really haven't seen any problems yet. I would love to hear some feedback, thanks!

2014, Ram Promaster 3500, Gasoline

·
Registered
652 Posts
Never. Ever. Flush. Transmissions. Too many unknowns w/ quickee flushes, they commingle fluid from dozens of transmissions. In your case I'd be tempted to pump out three or five pints through the dipstick tube and examine it - then add back exactly what was withdrawn with new fluid if its not metal-flake, silverish or smells like burnt toast... The MOPAR fluid likely has the right seal protectorants, that'd be my biggest worry is a complete fluid swap at 300k+ miles would liquefy some perfectly happy seal/gasket/o-ring that would avalanche symptoms down like rain, even with OEM fluid...

Oh and about auto transmission maintenance - NO additives, no miracle this or that, just straight OEM fluid, been there done that w/ my LT-1 Z-28... ($$$$).

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd first say 358k miles on the same transmission fluid and filter is amazing. Congrats! My suggestion would be to leave it be other than adding fluid if nessesary, and hope your luck continues. Any maintenance now would just be opening Pandora's Box.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd say just replace the transmission since it will come with new fluid!
Wow, I am seriously impressed with the mileage. Truly amazing. I go on the other side and agree with the partial fluid removal/change and see how it goes. Fluid does break down and I am amazed you got that kind of service life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts