Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 2014 2500 with over 100,000 miles and the car fax shows the following:

transmission flushed at 42,000
Transmission checked at 75,000
Transmission checked at 98,000
Transmission overhauled somewhere between 108,000 - 122,000
Sold at auction at 122,000

The shop that overhauled it is closed until Monday so I'll call them then to see if I can get some info. What do you guys think about the history of this vans transmission? My only experience with a rebuilt transmission was bad approximately 20 years ago .

Thanks,

Josh

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I can only speak in generalities. Never ever do a transmission "flush". Trans maintenance means dropping the pan, replacing the filter, and using the computer to put the correct amount of correct fluid in. "Flushing" means disturbing everything the filter has caught, and circulating somebody elses used fluid through it, which will almost certainly be the wrong fluid, etc. Done by an expert, this will shorten the life of the trans. Done by the teenager at an oil change place, this will destroy your trans.

Speaking specifically to the pm, we've had one or two reports of flywheel failure, but no reports of a trans failure that I know of. The early iterations of the 62TE trans in 2003 were terrible, but after a couple years they seem to be pretty good. I have 520,000 combined on two pms with exactly zero trans issues of any kind. The spec is every 100k for a trans service.

I wouldn't be afraid of that van or trans, but life is a gamble. I would guess the market value of that van at $15-17,000 or so. Maybe less.

Reactions: Josh Cissell

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
We have had a few failures but insignificant to the reliability equation. I too would be able to take a chance on that one. BTW I had the "strawberry milkshake" on my current 4Runner (google it if you have an auto 4Runner) and HAD to have a flush. My independent mechanic has a $4,000 machine to do it right and uses only fresh ATF. 14 quarts to do the job and no radiator fluid has shown up in 20,000 mi. Saved my ass and my transmission.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Exactly the type of info I was looking for. The price we've negotiated to is $15,000 and would be good except that I hired an independent inspector and the body is pretty beat up. (I'm half way across the country) Not really any big dents but just on every panel and multiple dents on some panels. The inspector generically described them as 1"-3" dents. Inside the van the wheels wells have been dented in pretty badly as well. Looking at the body work I'd day the van isn't worth $15,000.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I bought an F150 years ago on eBay that was dented like that. I shouldn’t have, as that sort of care means the vehicle has been hammered on- figuratively and literally. Maintenance had been ignored, the thing was putrid dirty but had a surface cleaning and it scared me to think what would show up next. I drove it 40,000K easy miles and sold it cheaply. Within a year the next owner had a bad clutch and throw out and bad rear main bearing. He didn’t blame me but I just dodged a bullet on that one! Knowing that I’d now pass, its a beater.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
RD - I looked up the strawberry milkshake. Failed radiators allowing coolant into the trans.

For what it's worth, both my vans have beat up wheel wells and one has a decent ding on the exterior, and neither seems to be developing any rust. My feeling is that these vans are fairly well e-coated at the factory and will hold up well, probably better than ford or chevy vans, and certainly better than sprinters. So, if cosmetics are truly cosmetics, I'd just use that as a club to beat the guy down on price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts