Ram Promaster Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yes, I suspect the ring and pinion wluld interchange, but i suspect the axles would fit. Working on it.

chance, it isnt the gearing so much as where the peak efficiency comes. As it sits, the pentastar is pretty high winding. Max torque at something like 4400rpm.
A turbo would allow me to tune the peak torque, and put it where i want it, about 1800rpm. In my application, I dont care about acceleration or power, the only thing that matters to me is highway mileage.

·
Premium Member
8,941 Posts
I have to chuckle at the idea we need 9 speeds. Most of my life I drove 3 speed manuals or a 4 speed pickup with a creeper low. When 4 speed transmissions became common I thought it was an improvement and we got along with 85-100 hp 4 cylinder compact cars. My 2002 4Runner (desert capable BTW) and my 2008 Rav 4 both have 4 speed automatics and do fine. My 6 speed 5.4 L F150 was a nuisance always shifting when you didn’t need it to, as does the 6 speed in the PM gasser. I expect a 9 speed will always be in the wrong gear or shifting to get there! Spare me that until I can have an electric motor without a transmission that has multiple gears.

·
Premium Member
8,941 Posts
I rode in a Stanley Steamer once and it had no transmission gears but when the pilot opened that steam valve it felt like I was back in my 6 cyl Triumph GT-6 talk about torque! No gears, no clutch, no neutral. Where have we come? One of those set the land speed record in 1906 at 106 mph! The car I was in could do 75 if the pilot had on his iron jock strap.

·
Read Only
309 Posts
My dealer said if the 9speeds fail, they don't rebuild them due to their complexity. I guess they send them out to third party rebuilders or swap them out for new units.

RD, I built my TR6 in 2008. Did many cross country shows, drives and events in that car. I modified the crap out of it but kept it stock looking. I really miss it. Had to sell it to fund a house renovation in 2014. New owner is in Atlanta and takes great care of it.

TR6 in Niagara by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

IMG_2771 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

IMG_2376 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,180 Posts
A turbo would allow me to tune the peak torque, and put it where i want it, about 1800rpm. In my application,
Turbo is possible.
We have 3 PM vans. All are 3500 series one with 400k+one with 325k and a 2014 with 580k. All of these vans have to work for a living. We run 12 ply tires and all 3 vans have 3.6 turbo engines. They run great and don't really have many problems...
I also seen one with a turbo off a ford eco boost

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
......cut.....

chance, it isnt the gearing so much as where the peak efficiency comes. As it sits, the pentastar is pretty high winding. Max torque at something like 4400rpm.
A turbo would allow me to tune the peak torque, and put it where i want it, about 1800rpm. In my application, I dont care about acceleration or power, the only thing that matters to me is highway mileage.
I would rather have a non-turbo 2.4L at 2,700 RPM than a 3.6L at 1,800 RPM. It should be more efficient at lower highway speeds. It would lack acceleration and power, and also towing capacity, but for a camper I’d be OK with it.

I doubt they make final gears that low though.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I can tell you how to repair that for under $200. But like you said, they are junk and you’re out, so I’ll stay mum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please be aware that all newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. Promasterforum.com Introduction Section
My 2017 1500 promaster as 36000 miles and the transmission gone that is what I have to say so you tell me that promaster is good ?????

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
My 2017 1500 promaster as 36000 miles and the transmission gone that is what I have to say so you tell me that promaster is good ?????
I’m going to need more information. What is it doing or not doing?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts