Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was told by a culligan man today that they were looking to buy a fleet of vans. They liked the promaster but after checking on them, found that the transmissions were bad in them. Has anyone else heard this and to what extent.
Thanks

·
Registered
473 Posts
Baseless! This transmission has been around for a very long time, much longer than the Pentastar V6. It's proven to be very reliable if somewhat unrefined. You didn't say if it was gas or diesel but the transmissions n in the diesel is pretty much bulletproof but even less refined than the gas version.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
...cut... They liked the promaster but after checking on them, found that the transmissions were bad in them. ...cut...
You should define what "bad" means to you, or to Culligan. :confused:

To some people "bad" means it's not reliable, and to others it may mean unrefined, or not to modern standards.

As far as I know, Chrysler is phasing out the ProMaster's current transmission. Last year it was being used on minivans and PMs (maybe others too), but this year the Chrysler minivan (Pacifica) was upgraded to an improved Pentastar V6 with a 9-speed transmission. Early reviews seem promising, suggesting many of the poor tuning issues with 9-speed have been addressed. I hope/expect this engine/transmission combination to make it into PMs before long.

The PM is (one of) the last vehicles with older 6-speed, and I doubt Chrysler will keep that transmission long-term just for the ProMaster. Volume is just too low.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would like to thank those who chimed in on the transmission problems yes I did not hear what the problems were from the Culligan man this makes me feel more comfortable with my 2014 p.m. With 19,000 miles. thank you

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Thanks for posting this. People find out that this transmission comes from a mini van and say it is bad with absolutely no DATA.
Same thing as Global Warming. This my friends is in my opinion what I call "Hype".

·
Registered
91 Posts
The 62te is slowing production, it cut a shift last week, now building only 2 shifts.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The 62te is slowing production, it cut a shift last week, now building only 2 shifts.
Do you happen to know what other vehicles besides ProMaster use that transmission at present?

I read recently that Chrysler makes something like 800,000 of the 9-speed transmissions, with most of them (about 650,000 if I recall correctly) being of the larger higher-capacity size suited for V6 engines.

ProMaster sales are doing great, but at about 40,000 per year rate (more or less) it doesn't seem like they could keep the 62te lines going on its own.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do you happen to know what other vehicles besides ProMaster use that transmission at present?

I read recently that Chrysler makes something like 800,000 of the 9-speed transmissions, with most of them (about 650,000 if I recall correctly) being of the larger higher-capacity size suited for V6 engines.

ProMaster sales are doing great, but at about 40,000 per year rate (more or less) it doesn't seem like they could keep the 62te lines going on its own.
You may be surprised, the old (604) was building as few as 295 a day. They share a ton of the same parts. My guess you will see a 9spd option in the promaster pretty soon. But I am just a peon that knows nothing. I have watched the same cut in 62te production in past, only to watch the move 9spd workers to man another shift in 62. Customer demand is what will determine this.

I really have no idea what uses the 62te. It's not in any vehicle I currently own. Had one in an 08 Sebring, little wonky on that one shift, but it had to be refined some since.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You may be surprised, the old (604) was building as few as 295 a day. They share a ton of the same parts. My guess you will see a 9spd option in the promaster pretty soon. But I am just a peon that knows nothing. I have watched the same cut in 62te production in past, only to watch the move 9spd workers to man another shift in 62. Customer demand is what will determine this.

I really have no idea what uses the 62te. It's not in any vehicle I currently own. Had one in an 08 Sebring, little wonky on that one shift, but it had to be refined some since.
Thanks for information.

I hope the 9-speed is just a matter of time. I'm curious what if any revisions they will make to the current 9-speed to help with the ProMaster's higher mass. It will also be interesting to see if Fiat offers an automatic option with the diesel. Iveco went that route with the diesel Daily.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I own two protesters with a combined 320,000 miles. Zero transmission issues on either. My guess is that if it's gonna blow, it's gonna blow early well before the powertrain warranty runs out at 100k. Have a real service done on it at 50k (drop fluid and replace filter, not just "flush" it with someone else's dirty tranny fluid) and forget about it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't think I'm the only one that has lost a transmission. Mine went bang at 94,000 miles. I don't load it with very much weight just a motorcycle. I had the clunking issues when shifting into gear from park and just assumed it was fine. The trans axle pump went out and that caused some other internal failures. I love this van and was happy it was fixed under warranty but the more I can stay away from the stealership the better, so I wasn't vey happy about it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well the dealer repaired tranny lasted 25,000 miles. Almost one year to the day since it was fixed. No more waranty help from Chrysler. So I bought a brand new transmission from the dealer, and the updated mount. I work in the auto industry so it only cost me $1700. Cheaper than I could get a remanufactured one for. I’m not sure what the change in the mount is for, and the tranny has an updated part number so there is some change in that also, maybe updated solenoid pack? My local tranny shop charged me $850 for the install, they did it in a day. I would have donethat myself except it needed to be done at an approved shop for the 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. Feels great to have it back! it drives perfect now no more shudder from the torque converter. Really stoked, I’m hoping this one lasts for the life of the van

·
Registered
3 Posts
Baseless! This transmission has been around for a very long time, much longer than the Pentastar V6. It's proven to be very reliable if somewhat unrefined. You didn't say if it was gas or diesel but the transmissions n in the diesel is pretty much bulletproof but even less refined than the gas version.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, i have a 2016 promaster. I drive it like i own it. I do not drive it rough or abusive at all. I had a problem with the tranny shift pack at 58k miles. Got it fixed supposedly under warranty. At 64k , the tranny went out completely. At 68k the oil pump went out. And... now went im decelerating, im hearing a strange low noise like ticking or something. Im worried its something in the tranny . IDK, but im a total believer that these trannys or the vehicle themselves are a business killer. IM out trying to make money, but this thing is draining me.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Dude, I completely feel your pain. It’s all opinion mixed with luck in the end, but I’ve based my business on the pm being reliable and it’s working for me. If it makes you feel better, ALL commercial vehicles will make you feel like this, from a chainsaw to a semi-truck. They ALL let you down and drain your wallet.
You alternatives are little better. From what I understand the Transit is ok but has problems too. A water pump job on a transit is $1200. The sprinters are a nightmare, criminally bad. The Nissan is reliable but gets 12mpg. Even a Chevy van, the pinacle of reliability, would have chewed through 3 transmissions by now, along with intake leaks, etc.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Chevy.......the pinacle of reliability.....
I have never heard these words uttered together in a sentence, ever, until now.
Anyway, in my crazy fantasy hypothetical world, should a 9spd become available for the ProMaster, would you be up for the challenge of shoehorning it into a 2019?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
For me, the 91-95 chevy G van was the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned. New stuff is worse, but still pretty bulletproof.
The 9 speed is something I know little about, other than it’s not well liked. For me, the better approach would either to adapt a much older turbo 4 banger into the van, or finally figure out how to adapt a 62te from a minivan into the promaster. Same trans, shallower final drive gearing. Of course, you could just put on taller tires and achieve the same effect.
I’d also be keen to put the 3.2 pentastat in place of the 3.6. Power isnt what I’m after, its mpg. Over the 100,000 miles each van goes a year, each 1mpg is worth $758 to me.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
For me, the 91-95 chevy G van was the most reliable vehicle I’ve ever owned. New stuff is worse, but still pretty bulletproof.
The 9 speed is something I know little about, other than it’s not well liked. For me, the better approach would either to adapt a much older turbo 4 banger into the van, or finally figure out how to adapt a 62te from a minivan into the promaster. Same trans, shallower final drive gearing. Of course, you could just put on taller tires and achieve the same effect.
I’d also be keen to put the 3.2 pentastat in place of the 3.6. Power isnt what I’m after, its mpg. Over the 100,000 miles each van goes a year, each 1mpg is worth $758 to me.
In that light, how fast do these vans get driven? Where do you balance speed for fuel economy versus productivity?

Also, would seem that unless you drive slowly, a smaller engine would not be able to hold top gear as is. Smaller engines would need even lower gears in my opinion. Except maybe a turbo 4 if it has ~ 300 lb-ft.

Agree 9-speed is geared too high.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts