Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My promaster is now 2 weeks old and has only 4k miles on it. Yesterday the transmission screwed up dangerously. What to do?

Scenario, Running 65 locked in Cruise. Had been under cruise control for approx 1 hour. Slight downgrade not enough to pickup speed. Out of the blue the transmission downshifted into 1 or 2 i have no idea which but the tach pegged out at 7k rpm and all cargo slammed forward. Darn near got rear ended by a semi before i pulled off the road. Gear didnt release until i shifted into park then back to drive.

Scared the crap out of me. Drove the last 500 miles white knuckled but no more issues.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My promaster is now 2 weeks old and has only 4k miles on it. Yesterday the transmission screwed up dangerously. What to do?

Scenario, Running 65 locked in Cruise. Had been under cruise control for approx 1 hour. Slight downgrade not enough to pickup speed. Out of the blue the transmission downshifted into 1 or 2 i have no idea which but the tach pegged out at 7k rpm and all cargo slammed forward. Darn near got rear ended by a semi before i pulled off the road. Gear didnt release until i shifted into park then back to drive.

Scared the crap out of me. Drove the last 500 miles white knuckled but no more issues.

Thoughts?
Yes, it's a sensor issue, no doubt. That sounds like electrical, for sure. The dealer should be able to track down the code and find it and fix it without too much difficulty.

Have the dealer fix it and all will be well. The transmission has a known history which is pretty good, it's relatively easy and not horribly expensive to repair once out of warranty - and there's someone everywhere who can fix it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Has anyone had this downshifting problem corrected? Power wagon I am waiting on a call from Chrysler. I will ask about sensor. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
My company issued Promaster 1500 just hit 97k miles today, overall it's not bad for that many miles, but my transmission has done this also, did it for the 6th time yesterday, and also marked two days in a row if you count the day before. It downshifts to 3rd from either 5th or 6th, depending on speed and hill grade. And yep, engine almost to 7k rpm. It's really random...but only seems to occur on the freeway, and cruise control is in use. It has done it to me on either level ground or a "slight" incline, but even climbing a slight hill it will downshift one gear to maintain speed, but certainly not a gear that near redlines the engine.

It hasn't begun doing this until after 60k or 70k miles, not sure which. There are four of us that have this exact vehicle, but I haven't confirmed if the others have had this situation also. All of us do a lot of freeway driving.

Another "pattern" mine has is it usually does this at about the same location...weird.

Only way I can see to fix it is to pull over "safely", shift to P, turn engine off, then re start it and continue on my way. Otherwise it won't shift beyond 3rd if you just shift to P then back to D and continue. It's definitely electronic, and not mechanical.

I've already had the dealer take a look at it while I took it there to get recalls fixed. They didn't find any codes, and it's done it 3 times since that.

Will be getting a different vehicle in the near future and it's a different make and model, and that's due to the number of miles mine has on it now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts